Ironman 2018 - PE

clivem

For those aiming to do Comraces + Ironman. interestingly; I see completing an Ironman counts as a qualifying race for Comrades.

http://www.comrades.com/marathoncentre/race-info

THE IRONMAN SEEDING IS AS FOLLOWS:

Batch Marathon Leg Of Ironman A 3:30:00 B 3:50:00 C 4:15:00 D 4:40:00 E Green Number Club F 5:00:00 G 5:20:00 H Official Finisher over 5:20:00

• Replies 809
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Talking about Ultra and IM in the same year, anyone doing Two Oceans two weeks prior to IM?

Too close for comfort for me; Oceans is tough on the legs with over 650m ascent. Not saying it’s impossible but I think you need to be quite an accomplished runner to do both in such a short space of time

I'd totally agree with that. They are way too close to each other, well certainly for my limited running talent anyway.  There are some good articles on recovery time needed after a 42km and also an Ultra.  Two weeks ain't gonna cut it imho.

Too close for comfort for me; Oceans is tough on the legs with over 650m ascent. Not saying it’s impossible but I think you need to be quite an accomplished runner to do both in such a short space of time

Scott, I'm no IM/tri expert. But I agree with above.

Read an article just the other day again where a coach said he does not even advise longer than 26k runs in the run training for an IM due to the recovery impact. Even (maybe especially) for his clients who haven't done a marathon before.

Oceans takes it's tole! So if you've entered for IM, focus on that and don't take such a chance. And if it's your first, even more so.

Let me put it to you this way - if I ever were to enter an IM, I will definitely not go on a 56k run two weeks beforehand. 

Scott, I'm no IM/tri expert. But I agree with above.

Oh, please don't get me wrong here, i am definitely not contemplating it!!! Was just wondering if anyone knows of someone crazy enough to have ever done it before. 

Oh, please don't get me wrong here, i am definitely not contemplating it!!! Was just wondering if anyone knows of someone crazy enough to have ever done it before. 

Initially OMTOM was my target for next year but after entering IM that's all i am concerned with!!!

Talking about Ultra and IM in the same year, anyone doing Two Oceans two weeks prior to IM?

This year I did the 56km Oceans exactly 13 days after the full IM.  Needless to say the last 15km's I was in the hurt locker.  Kids don't try this at home.

I think doing Oceans first and then IM could be even worse.

I know a guy that did IM, two oceans and comrades in the space of 2 months or so in 2015. It is possible and quite a number of ppl do IM and Comrades. While it is certainly possible the long term effects on the body cannot be healthy. One places huge stress on the body and doing this too often must have negative consequences in the long run.

But I guess in the long run, we are all dead anyway

In 2000 I did the Argus, Canoe IronMan at Emfuleni and Comrades within a few months ... Not long after that I suffered a bad Achilles tendon injury and haven't been able to run properly since. Look after your body, I look back and think why?

Sent from my LG-D958 using Tapatalk

In 2000 I did the Argus, Canoe IronMan at Emfuleni and Comrades within a few months ... Not long after that I suffered a bad Achilles tendon injury and haven't been able to run properly since. Look after your body, I look back and think why?

Sent from my LG-D958 using Tapatalk

Good point, sadly the above is a lesson many will scoff at.

Just yesterday I was talking to a friend who has done many comrades and all the other running events that lead up to comrades... I’m talking 20 years of comrades “obsession” running.

Due to various injuries sustained over this period and not listening to his body he now struggles to string a few Park runs together in the normal summer comrades training period.

This year I did the 56km Oceans exactly 13 days after the full IM.  Needless to say the last 15km's I was in the hurt locker.  Kids don't try this at home.

I think doing Oceans first and then IM could be even worse.

I am in trouble here. Doing my 3rd IMSA next year and for the first time been able to log the hours needed, averaging 10hrs+ a week for 4 weeks going! Setting it up for an epic PB race.

Problem is the Mrs entered us into OMTOM as well. I will have to get myself out of that entry asap. 

I am in trouble here. Doing my 3rd IMSA next year and for the first time been able to log the hours needed, averaging 10hrs+ a week for 4 weeks going! Setting it up for an epic PB race.

Problem is the Mrs entered us into OMTOM as well. I will have to get myself out of that entry asap. 

It won't be difficult getting someone to take your entry, but I don't think that is the problem.  :D

After under performing at the TTA champs yesterday and feeling dead on the run, I see pain and suffering next year for myself on OMTOM followed by IMSA. 

Maybe it was just tired muscles, used to going long and not ready for an olympic?  :whistling:

Time to do a few interval training sets for December.

• 1 month later...

Hi peeps!  Hope the training is going well

Any word on the bike course?  I've heard that they may change the route from last year due to road works...

Archived