So, my scale says I am pushing 123...that's kilograms...clearly the blerrie thing is broken.

But then on Saturday while trying to pedal the Bottelary red route I realized that Karoo to Coast is a very distant pipe dream, and not even close to becoming a reality in 2017 if I keep on going north according to the scale.

So herewith my pledge. I will drop at least 10kg (hopefully more) by end of August, and I will be able to finish that dastardly ride in a respectable time, and NOT push up Simola (I have nothing good to say about Simola)

I start training in the Gym come 03 June, as I then return from a business trip to the north of our borders.

My question is thus twofold:

A) - Who is taking me up on the challenge aspect, so that I do not have to suffer in solitude, and
B) - What other gym training is adept at getting me less fat, and more fit - I am thinking like cross-training, bootcamp etc?

As for beer, pasta, sugar, bread and all the good things in life, adieu until then.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, my scale says I am pushing 123...that's kilograms...clearly the blerrie thing is broken.

But then on Saturday while trying to pedal the Bottelary red route I realized that Karoo to Coast is a very distant pipe dream, and not even close to becoming a reality in 2017 if I keep on going north according to the scale.

So herewith my pledge. I will drop at least 10kg (hopefully more) by end of August, and I will be able to finish that dastardly ride in a respectable time, and NOT push up Simola (I have nothing good to say about Simola)

I start training in the Gym come 03 June, as I then return from a business trip to the north of our borders.

My question is thus twofold:

A) - Who is taking me up on the challenge aspect, so that I do not have to suffer in solitude, and

B) - What other gym training is adept at getting me less fat, and more fit - I am thinking like cross-training, bootcamp etc?

As for beer, pasta, sugar, bread and all the good things in life, adieu until then.

There is already a weight loss challenge thread... search...

I am in, currently 105kg, aiming to be 90kg by October. I'm entered for Berg and Bush and want to enjoy it, not just finish! Keep us updated on progress and I will do the same.

In the already existing thread of course :)

Good luck!

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Robbie best of luck with your journey of weight loss.

TWO sides to this :

- exercise boosts the metabolism to burn more food, and hopefully some fat ....

- food intake needs to balance with your lifestyle, and exercise levels.

You can exercise until you are Comrades fit ... if your food intake does not balance you wont loose weight.

Seriously consider speaking to a dietitian.  There is so MUCH more to "Eating right" than the fad diet of the day ......

Over the last 14 months I have had multiple sessions with Berna at Panorama Dietitians.  Peaked at 108kg, been at 85kg for a few months now, body fat % steadily dropping now.   Blood sugar and other vitals are so much better.  :)

I only started very moderate exercise in the second half of last year.

You can exercise until you are Comrades fit ... if your food intake does not balance you wont loose weight.

Seriously consider speaking to a dietitian. There is so MUCH more to "Eating right" than the fad diet of the day ......

There's nothing more important than this.

Don't waste your time, don't frustrate yourself. Sort out your diet and eating habits first.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

This makes the assumption that all calories are equal. They are not. Different kinds of calories do different things to ones hormones, so the need to control how hormones react to the food eaten is paramount.

You can drop 1 kg a week if you're dedicated. Do yourself a favour and get FatSecret app and monitor your food intake and make sure your macros are correct. Otherwise you'll just be going in the dark and thinking you're eating right. Diet is unfortunately the key to body transformation.

I'm not taking up the challenge. I still have 4 kg to gain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get yourself in the gym and do some weight training. Weights help to activate the inactive muscle fibres (which is why you get stronger).

The more active fibres you have, the more energy they need and the more fat they burn.

This makes the assumption that all calories are equal. They are not. Different kinds of calories do different things to ones hormones, so the need to control how hormones react to the food eaten is paramount.

In 2015 I reduced my food intake, not a diet per say, just eating smaller servings.  Helped NOTHING ..... only later figured out that less of the "bad" stuff is not the solution.

A decent dietitian does a LOT more than hand out a standard eating plan !

Each individual, gender, age, health, fitness level, etc etc all impact on what food is "good" for that individual.

Ironically - I now have a serving size of the same size I did in 2015.  Just a totally different composition of carbs/meat/veggies ....

UNDERSTANDING how these different foods impact me I am now able to join a function and dish up at a buffet table, having a normal plate of food.  Others dont even know I am a diabetic, not by looking at my food.

In fact, knowing what options I have, I now make some stunning dishes. Last night:

- Chicken fillet in the stir fry pan, steamed, then grilled till nice and brown on the outside.

- Whole wheat roll

- tomato, lettuce, feta

To make a lekker chicken burger.

side salad to keep the balance of food right.

Most people that need to lose weight in fact know what they have to do to lose weight. You can pay someone to tell you if you like I suppose but our every own Hubber Gnarly has this advice 'eat less poo more' which I have subscribed to long time ago!

When it says eat 'less' it means significantly less not just 'cut down a bit here and there and hope for the best'

That exercise thing, whatever it may be, that'll help a BIT ... but it's not where the problem or solution lies as mentioned by a few already  :whistling:

Most people that need to lose weight in fact know what they have to do to lose weight. You can pay someone to tell you if you like I suppose but our every own Hubber Gnarly has this advice 'eat less poo more' which I have subscribed to long time ago!

When it says eat 'less' it means significantly less not just 'cut down a bit here and there and hope for the best'

That exercise thing, whatever it may be, that'll help a BIT ... but it's not where the problem or solution lies as mentioned by a few already  :whistling:

I have to disagree with this post - at least with the first part.

I am only eating "a bit" less.  But rather "eating the right types of food".

I grew up in the typical Afrikaner home, carbs on top of carbs, with a side dish of more carbs .... Reducing the "quantity" of this will never make it "okay" .....

One needs to better understand "food types", appropriate portion sizes, etc ....

I benefitted greatly from a diatitian that taught me the basics, and gave me the base knowledge to make educated choices.

Edited by ChrisF