R300/month is small potatoes compared to the cost of cycling in general (especially MTB) with equipment, race entry fees, petrol etc.

Yip. We will drop huge cash on go faster bits (to gain 40 seconds) without much thought but struggle to see value in almost free training plans (which will cut way more off your times).

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 3 referral codes for TR - sign up for 12 months and get 1 month free if anyone's interested.

PM me your name and email

I used TR for the entire of 2018 (got the USD99 deal). If you don’t have a coach, it is good software to assist in making you stronger but I did find the 1,000 plus workouts unnecessary. It does get a bit boring, when compared to Zwift.

If you do have a coach, you don’t need those plans/workouts; Rouvy is a good option at USD120/year.    

I also tested Sufferfest, which I feel is better than TR for training and involves the 4DP test, in setting you zones. The TR ramp test tends to overstate the FTP, based on my experience.

The TR ramp test tends to overstate the FTP, based on my experience.

Could you elaborate on this? The software just gives you a structure to perform an FTP test, and uses the power from whatever source to measure your FTP

Could you elaborate on this? The software just gives you a structure to perform an FTP test, and uses the power from whatever source to measure your FTP

The TrainerRoad ramp test is shorter than the standard 20 minute test.  The test is only around 25 minutes long - and you are only going full gas for about 5 minutes of that.  

I doubt it is way off, but may not be as accurate as a 20 minute test by a couple watts  (just like the 20 minute test is probably a few points off a true hour test).

As long as you do all your tests using the same format, you are comparing apples with apples - so all good.  Worse case scenario, you find the work outs too easy or too hard.  Then simply adjust the individual workouts on the fly (there is an in workout option to increase/decrease) - or manually adjust your FTP in either direction.

I've found the ramp test to reproduce results similar to other FTP test formats...

If you are time bound, take your cycling “seriously” and want the best results for effort all on a very user friendly and good platform then I’ll say yes, it is very good value for money still.

DCRainmaker actually covered this on his podcast recently, made a very good point that the monthly costs of most of these services is very undervalued when comparing what we pay for other things.

I agree 100%.

I think Trainer Road, and most of the other training software platforms are decent value for money in the grand cycling scheme of pricing - even after the recent price increase.

That said, is TrainerRoad still a good deal when comparing pricing of the other training platforms?  I guess only the individual in question can answer that once he has tried them all out.

My 2 cents:  I continue to use TR, and will continue as long as they honor their Grandfathering policy ($99 per year).  It is an easy to use app, well structured and a well put together product.  They seem like a good bunch of guys and their podcast is a great value add. 

However, at the new pricing structure I would have to cut either Zwift or TR (I use both).  And I think Zwift is a more all round product - not as polished as TR for training, but still an option.  So TR would get the cut...

For the vast majority of us, including myself, the easiest way to get stronger is to ride more and ride more consistently.   So anything that is going to get you riding more volume and riding more consistently, will improve your strength.  If you are already riding 8 hours a week, then structuring those 8 hours will give you better returns i.e TR is a good option.    But if you are riding less than 6 to 8 hours a week, getting up to those hours is the first goal.  If you need software / trainer app to encourage /facilitate getting to those hours, there are less expensive options than TR i.e. Zwift, Rouvy, RoadGrandTours, Sufferfest etc...   

Edited by Dubber

The TR ramp test works on one minute intervals (when I last did it). My power profile is able to tolerate this protocol much better than the 20 minute test. For me the 20 minute test provides a better reflection of the power I can sustain for an hour.

I moved over to a coach from February 2019 and I had to adjust my FTP downwards to be able to complete the prescribed workouts.

However, I just want to emphasis that FTP is not always the ultimate indicator of overall power.

Edited by riteshm

• 4 months later...

TR is the 3rd trainer app that I am trying out and I prefer it to the others. I am only using it for the winter months as spring,summer and autumn have great group rides everyday that split into two groups. I was getting dropped into group two a lot with no riding last winter. That is something that will change this year as all the fast lads in the group use TR and the slower riders tend to use zwift. 

I’m a huge fan of TR. Always adding new features. Season planning is awesome and you can change from indoor/outdoor workouts as you please.

I’ve got a few 1 month free referrals if anyone wants to give it a try. They don’t have a trail program so it’s difficult to “test” them otherwise. Just drop me a PM, will need Name, Surname and email address. They will then send you a link.

• 1 month later...

Nate mentioned yesterday that the tablet version is still far off. It would have been better if it allows for different workouts in a group instead of having to do the same workout.Will be testing it out this afternoon.

Nate mentioned yesterday that the tablet version is still far off. It would have been better if it allows for different workouts in a group instead of having to do the same workout.Will be testing it out this afternoon.

I suspect that it will eventually be geared for coaches, they can have online classes with everyone doing the same workout especially if all athletes are on the same training plan.  So will become more immersive for both coach and client rather than you just doing your workout and then the coach looking at the results.

• 2 weeks later...

TR group workouts is a massive game changer. 
being able to group train from the comfort of your man cave. 
riding partners and friends motivate each other to push yourself beyond your limits. 

kudus TR

I suspect that it will eventually be geared for coaches, they can have online classes with everyone doing the same workout especially if all athletes are on the same training plan.  So will become more immersive for both coach and client rather than you just doing your workout and then the coach looking at the results.

I think geared more towards taking spinning classes out of the gyms and into homes. Maybe a good idea for TR to sell multi user licenses / memberships to instructors who could then onsell these at a profit to people for 6 - 12 week training sessions instead of each having to sign up themselves.

Just a thought

But in general i'm sure all these online apps will one day destroy all the IDT and spinning classes at gyms

The problem with group training is that my individual need might be different to another person, so everyone on the same training plan doesn’t make sense. At least not for those taking their training a little serious than the average Jane/Joe.

I guess the masses that would do a spinning class would be benefit.