WTF CSA?

Patchelicious

Some info available on the HA Toere website.  Same crowd that organise the Vets tours in MPU. 

The route looks a little meh to me.  I am no climber, but even this looks a little too flat? 

Thanks, will go check it out.

I am grateful that we are getting a good tour organised by a group that has knowledge and experience with hosting tours. It is going to be a cracker. Very exited to visit this part of the world

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the information, and the TT is quite a climb, if one takes into consideration that TT's in general does not have much of an elevation. 

There would be climbs, do not underestimate the drags and it is a lap circuit, for the master ladies that would mean more that 800m of climbing in February heat, it is going to be hot like the Vuelta La Espana! 

Whoop whoop, so excited, you could call me a minion!

There is an airport in Hoedspruit that offers direct flights to Cape Town, They have excellent service and we didn’t have to pay for our bikes.

There is an airport in Hoedspruit that offers direct flights to Cape Town, They have excellent service and we didn’t have to pay for our bikes.

@ R12k return for this, I sure hope you don't have to pay for your bikes.

Cheaper to just drive. or fly to JHB and drive.

@ R12k return for this, I sure hope you don't have to pay for your bikes.

Cheaper to just drive. or fly to JHB and drive.

Hosting this event in Hoedspruit is alienating a good chunk of cyclists in SA. From CT its a whopping 1 800km drive. Flying to Jhb is a good option, but then there is the cost of transporting your bike and hiring a car big enough to carry a bike.

I realise that wherever the event is hosted, there is sure to be some logistical issue for someone at some corner of SA, but this event is in the corner of SA and a lot of people will struggle to get there or pay the costs of getting there. I suspect this event will probably be an extension of the Gauteng champs.

My 2c. My impression is that there are still more licensed (racing) road cyclists in the north of SA, especially Gauteng, but also add in MP,Limpopo,KZN,FS, etc. I do think CSA have tried to move SA's around a bit but not all regions can put on a show like this year and it's a big country, but not like USA,Canada or Aus. Imagine flying Brisbane to Perth! Swadini is quite remote, but a stunning part of SA and PE obviously couldn't get it right. Hendrik is also a very experienced race organiser. This is an opportunity for some "sport tourism" too...

• 2 months later...
I seem to have missed this news from yesterday:

"Cycling South Africa hereby notifies our members, that during the Elective AGM held on the 1st February 2020 in Johannesburg, the General Assembly elected a new President and Vice President to serve their terms for the next four years.  Whilst the current Treasurer Mr Andre du Toit was re-elected in his position.  

Mrs Ciska du Plessis-Austin is the first female President of the Federation with Kevin Green from Paarl as Vice President.   This is also the first time a representative from the Boland has been elected into the top two positions at CyclingSA. 

Our new President presented her proposed strategy for the next four years which will focus on seven key business and development units.   Her vision is to better align all the parties involved in cycling and bring into being a united front.   

The General Assembly unanimously agreed to rejuvenate the ‘club system’ and the role the Provincial and Regional affiliates play in the value chain offered to members and event organizers. As such this will be another focus area around which to build supporting administration and develop the sport.  

CyclingSA aims to create more champions and future heroes and Austin’s proposed strategy includes a focus on a clearer talent development pathway within a stronger positioned sporting structure. This will run parallel to a National development and capacity building program incorporating the involvement of all nine provinces which will also better align with the transformation charter of our Government.  

Following her election, Austin commented that: “Accepting this position and undertaking the task at hand will take some time to align and roll-out.  The sports industry has changed, and we will now change with it.  I am worried about the digital craze amongst the youth and the resulting decline in their participation numbers. It is a concern for all sports, but we will endeavour to make cycling in all its forms more attractive.”

As Austin will finish her Master’s Degree in European Sports Governance this April, she comes to the fore with a very strong commitment to putting in place more robust governance principles and financial austerity measures.  In line with this, her motion to the General Assembly to establish an Independent Compliance and Advisory Board (The CAB), to guide and oversee legal, financial, ethical and disciplinary matters received unanimous approval, and will be made up of the following members; Andre du Toit Federation Treasurer, Julian Cox, the Disciplinary Commissioner from Kwa-Zulu Natal , Pieter Aucamp, an advocate from North-West, Piet van Niekerk, a senior advocate from Gauteng, Attorneys Ayanda Kheswa from the Eastern Cape and Gert Fouche, an avid cyclist who still holds the current hour record in South Africa and the World Record for his age group from Gauteng North as well as a potential three more members with experience in financial and commercial business management."

I really hope they can get their house in order this time. There may well not be a next chance to do it right.

Really wish them all the best... hopefully they get the public support they will desperately need to right the ship!

At some point we have to start supporting CSA, or they will flounder ad infinitum... let's not get on their backs at the first opportunity  :thumbup:

How long have you been in this country? Surely you must know at the first smell of something fishy we pounce, regardless of how far back the problem stems or who is actually responsible

How long have you been in this country? Surely you must know at the first smell of something fishy we pounce, regardless of how far back the problem stems or who is actually responsible

Are CSA the victims here?

While you need to give a new leader room to make a change, you don’t get amnesty each time a new person joins an organization. Ask Cyril.

Really wish them all the best... hopefully they get the public support they will desperately need to right the ship!

At some point we have to start supporting CSA, or they will flounder ad infinitum... let's not get on their backs at the first opportunity  :thumbup:

Chicken vs Egg scenario

if we don't support CSA its irrelevant

If we do support the CSA theres the risk of no change despite the support and new leadership

substitute SA inc*. where I type CSA..

* Disclaimer: SAinc does not equal ANC

Edited by DieselnDust