Telkom 947 Cycle Challenge - #CC2017

Bonus

Same Telkom bottle as last year...

THURSDAY morning was TOOOOOOOOO busy and standing in line for 2 hours...should have gone tomorrow...

Expo same as always...bleh...

What "Goodie bag"???

BUT...can not wait for Sunday  :thumbup:  :clap:

What waterbottle?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Same Telkom bottle as last year...

THURSDAY morning was TOOOOOOOOO busy and standing in line for 2 hours...should have gone tomorrow...

Expo same as always...bleh...

What "Goodie bag"???

BUT...can not wait for Sunday  :thumbup:  :clap:

What waterbottle?

Comrades Marathon is on another level of intensity, so it is difficult to make a comparison I know, but how about a qualification requirement before you are allowed to participate in 947?

Surely the health and safety of the masses need to feature somewhere? Especially considering the conditions they are enduring doing this event, right slam bang during the hottest part of the day towards the End of November. Add in a Medium or Short Route which could cater for the masses until they qualify for the full 94.7?

Or are the 947 organisers just in it for the high number, ie profits?

Just for the record... a Comrades qualifier (any marathon) is a lot harder than the full 94.7  ;) 

So what you are basically suggesting is a qualifier for a 'qualifier'...

Getting people off the couch will do far more good than the few minor negatives that will inevitably occur at these mass participation events.

After an unexpected (but much needed) cycling hiatus my non-existent 2017 seeding sent me right to the back for a late, warm and windy start. What an experience it was to ride with the agterosse! Never did I know that people actually do this for 5+ hours of FUN – I’m talking averaging 15km/h, chatting away, listening to cool tunes on funny-looking pocket speakers and catching a quick break under trees and bridges with some Amstels, Pringles and a few smokes. What a jol…for them!

As for me…jas, the first time in my “riding career” I spent an entire race on my own in wind and heat. Literally…and it was taai! The last 10km saw me dig deep and my legs started swearing at me when the uninvited Steyn City climb arrived. Dragged home after a brutal 3.14 starting in Group JJ. The upside…for the first time in my life I ended top 5 out of my batch :clap: :clap: :clap: . A lekker day, an amazingly well organised event and some quality training for them calves.

I do have a gripe though, and a big one. Guys doing second laps: please be more considerate of the other not-so-fast-and-seasoned late starters. I saw some nasties being thrown at slow riders by second lappers and it’s just not right (one windgat would constantly shout “keep left, keep your line, get out of the way” while riding 4 abreast with his mates, hogging the road). A mate of mine started in LL and he said the exact same thing. Okes, you’ve had your ride and your fun, consider the 2nd lap as a courtesy offered to you by both the organisers and late starters doing their ride.                

Yup had this happen to the missus and I up steyn city climb....not 100% sure that they were doing it the second time around but they were a fast moving charity bunch, without any chariot or disabled rider etc.!

We were far right as there were people all over the place, although there was a decent space for 2 to pass abreast between my left and the next rider. All I hear is LEFT LEFT LEFT! Like no way am I going to just swerve left in a split second on a climb where most are barely keeping their balance!!! All I am doing is focusing on keeping my line and making sure the wife is ok (her foot started to cramp badly at this point). Eventually the whole lot of them took the gap and made their way through the scattered masses. So why not just do this in the first place!!!  :cursing:

Guys and gals should think safety and consider that not everyone has the same skill level and balance, even for such a small thing like a simple pass. I thought that passing safely on a MTB on any off road terrain was a challenge, passing safely on the road with hundreds around you is nerve wrecking  :(  :unsure:  :o  . I am not saying that I do not know how to move over but it can distract or scare the next person into making a move that sends an entire bunch of riders down.

Anyway it was our 1st time and a last minute decision, decided to do it last Monday after doing the MTB race for the 2nd time! Had a blast and will definitely be back next year but on a road bike cause more than 5 hours on a MTB took it's toll on my joints. The goal will be for us both to make it in under 4 hours  :D   

You possibly cannot compare Mt Everest with 94.7 come on really.

Compare it to argus and amashova if you want and both are more fun not only because of the seneary but also the route profile.

We not gonna get 27000 ppl training for sub 3’s lets be realistic. The masses just want to go enjoy joburg with the safety of the full road closures.

Im ranting not cos I suffered im just ranting cos of what i witnessed going back to my car after sitting at the hospitality for 2 hrs guys were still pouring in walking up the hills before the finish

Don't worry, I was just exaggerating.

But you know. I saw people yesterday, that probably weight 3 times my weight. They fight those climbs. They fight those winds. They fight not to walk. Then I also saw people walking up the first drag.

My point being, if you make everything in life easier, then you will stop fighting for anything. Don't kid yourself, there isn't a lot of scenery, so this is a challenge, not a stroll through Johburg.

People should stop encouraging people to do the 947 ONLY. Encourage them to take up the sport, start with small goals, do small races, work towards completing a tough challenge.

But that's maybe only my point of view. 

I have a lot of respect for some of those late starters, that battled through that route, but that's just it, a battle. I also saw people, fitter than most, nothing wrong with them, that gave up, not even halfway in, because they cannot challenge themselves.

What waterbottle?

I thought that the water bottles were just for the MTB race....All I received for the road race was my race pack! You had to go to the Telkom stand to get the head band thingy.

...and then after we left we saw on FB that you could get the Cycle lab socks from their stand!

I got the exact same time as last year according to Racetec - 2h41:40. Exact. Odd that, but with the start brought back it was ever so slightly longer so all good.

I joined the Trek Troopers sweep team and that was eye opening to say the least. By Woodmead there were folk in need of medics. Along the highway it was a trail of cramps and flats. We kept to the back just ahead of the sweep vehicles and it got worse along Witkoppen into Malibongwe up to Cerdar and into Steyn City. Picking folk up and pushing them through from being stone last to a few places up. The size of some people riding is unbelievable. What makes them think they can ride this event and finish it is beyond me. But some did and with our help they finished. I saw tears and pain in Steyn City. Push a 100kg person to the top of the Steyn City climb, turn around go back down and pick up another, repeat.each.and.every.climb.

When you are normally at the sharp end of the field to witness what we did yesterday and help people along to finish was a very humbling experience

Yesterday I learnt not to take my fitness and condition for granted.

Respect. Yes I'm thankful for my health condition at 58. I'm clearly not in your league (4 hours from L group to finish) but I really felt sorry for the people starting later in that heat. Thanks 'youngster' for helping some people to finish the race

Edited by djvr

But you know. I saw people yesterday, that probably weight 3 times my weight. They fight those climbs. They fight those winds. They fight not to walk. Then I also saw people walking up the first drag.

My point being, if you make everything in life easier, then you will stop fighting for anything. Don't kid yourself, there isn't a lot of scenery, so this is a challenge, not a stroll through Johburg.

People should stop encouraging people to do the 947 ONLY. Encourage them to take up the sport, start with small goals, do small races, work towards completing a tough challenge.

I have a lot of respect for some of those late starters, that battled through that route, but that's just it, a battle. I also saw people, fitter than most, nothing wrong with them, that gave up, not even halfway in, because they cannot challenge themselves.

Most sensible suggestion yet.  :thumbup:

This used to be known as JHB's toughest race and it still probably is.

I got taught a lesson in VC yesterday.

I normally ride open but for some unexplained reason they decided that I should be in VC this year.

I'm still licking my wounds.

I keep telling people that you need to train for 94.7 but most people think that they'll just wing it and then they find out that JHB is VERY hilly.

Agreed we should encourage people to do smaller goals...

Knobblies on tar tsk tsk ☝️

Not sure which is the bigger sin, slicks on a mtb or knobblies on tar

definetely the slicks on mtb. look ugly and no prober knobbies on t warn the roadies that amtb is approaching :thumbup: 

But they have been training, since last week Monday...

I remember last year, on the Gautrain on my way to work, the Monday following the event, there was a lady incredibly indignant that they got cut off after having spent four Saturdays training. How dare the organisers get it so wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really enjoyed the race, started in W with the corporate's and ended with a time of 03:55 on my MTB (yes knobblies and all). 

Improved my time with 1 hour and 5 minutes from last year, so all and all a good day for me. Had some help on the M1 but apart from that it was all solo unfortunately. 

I really enjoyed the race, started in W with the corporate's and ended with a time of 03:55 on my MTB (yes knobblies and all). 

Improved my time with 1 hour and 5 minutes from last year, so all and all a good day for me. Had some help on the M1 but apart from that it was all solo unfortunately. 

Sub 4 with a MTB starting with the corporates is definitely a significant step-up in my opinion! Well done!

Had an absolute jol in D, came home in 4th in 2:42 and 5mins of my PB in 2014. Stoked!

Thanks to the laaitie and (oom) Phillip for the hard work up front, was a pleasure working with you guys. For the oke that came in third, ja nee kyk, ek sê maar niks.

So hopefully next year I can finally do this race in the racing bunches. This 3 man time trial thing is totally overrated (but also so worth it) :clap:

Take it he sat there, did fokol and then sprinted for the line?

Take it he sat there, did fokol and then sprinted for the line?

If it is true that this happened in D-Batch, I would advise Mr Sprinter Wannabe to do something different because an U23 Male should surely beat a junior rider and a 55-59 year old-toppie in the sprint if he just sat on like is being said. 

post-27827-0-29502900-1511180209_thumb.png