Telkom 947 Cycle Challenge - #CC2017

Bonus

I have been told otherwise before. The entire group gets the same start time, doesn't matter when your chip crosses the line. I had a query once and that was what the timing company told me. They said the start line mat is just to make sure you started in the correct group. If you started in a higher group they pick it up and DQ you. This was not racetec though.

Jip.

That is how I have it also.

Everyone has the same start time.

So the anomaly might come in that they have taken Flemish's time at the second last mat at the line?

There were 3 mats if I remember correctly.......

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey all,

This was my first time riding 94.7 properly, I have a history of mechanicals and sickness with this ride. I was shocked at the complete lack of bunches. I caught one bunch by Glenhove which disappeared at the Killarny bends water stop. I tried so hard to form bunches, told guys to jump on my wheel etc but know one seemed interested. I never had the earliest starting time but from Q i would have expected some team work. It was a TT all the way.

Is this normal for the 94.7? Ive done at least 10 races over my short riding time and done alot of club rides and cant understand this?

Anyways, the walk to the start and the gravel and sand at the start sucks but the organisation was brilliant. As for the router, after an 80km TT the last 10kms suck but are very rewarding. Is it my favorite race, no, but will I be back next year, damb straight, hopefully earlier, faster and with some bunches

Was also my first 94.8

I also tried from Y. Not a single person interested. And I thought I have a bit of charm. Managed a 3h50. Next year should get a better starting position. Hopefully get some people to work together.

Sent from my LG-M400 using Tapatalk

I do have a gripe though, and a big one. Guys doing second laps: please be more considerate of the other not-so-fast-and-seasoned late starters. I saw some nasties being thrown at slow riders by second lappers and it’s just not right (one windgat would constantly shout “keep left, keep your line, get out of the way” while riding 4 abreast with his mates, hogging the road). A mate of mine started in LL and he said the exact same thing. Okes, you’ve had your ride and your fun, consider the 2nd lap as a courtesy offered to you by both the organisers and late starters doing their ride.                

So I would like to share a story with you.

Last year a friend from work asked me to help her do the 947 for the first time, having never cycled before. She was very dedicated in her training. Being her first race, we only started in NN.

She was still a bit nervous of her bike handling skills, so she was a bit slow on the down hills, but on the uphills, we were passing hundreds of people.  Things start getting difficult passing on the uphills around the uphill in Randburg on Jan Smuts where people start to take up the whole road, hogging the right even though they are not overtaking others. A number of times she had to hit the breaks on an uphill cause the whole road is blocked up. All this time we were being very polite.

Then the inevitable happened. Going up Cedar rd, we got blocked, so we slowed right down. My friend then went to the left of a rider that was on the very right hand side of the road. The rider then swerved left and switched my friends front wheel, and she when down. The rider that caused this just carried on riding.

We were not doing 2 laps. Yes I had a VB number on my back, but this was my first lap. I was not at all polite from this point on, and I'm going to apologize for that. And my friend who had trained her but off, only to have to constantly slow down on the uphills. Put your self in her position. Riders who hog the right hand side of the road are the ones being inconsiderate, in my opinion.

</rant>

Edited by GaryvdM

Was a great ride, thoroughly enjoyed it until Malibongwe where the little creatures were shouting for "Chocolate - chocolate - chocolate" and harassing the cyclists.

Felt like I was in a really bad Spur for a few minutes, nearly got one with an elbow... then they were gone.

Was a great ride, thoroughly enjoyed it until Malibongwe where the little creatures were shouting for "Chocolate - chocolate - chocolate" and harassing the cyclists.

Felt like I was in a really bad Spur for a few minutes, nearly got one with an elbow... then they were gone.

Those kids put a smile on my face. So innocent.

And one little sweet, makes his day.

I always have a few treats in my pocket for them.

The little faces brightening up when you reach for your pocket, knowing that a treat is on its way.

Edited by Vetseun

Just an pack an extra one. Its a highlight for them, make their day.

Edited by Patchelicious

The little faces brightening up when you reach for your pocket, knowing that a treat is on its way.

Crap.

That just makes the problem worse.

They are no better than window washers at a traffic light, if they dont get, they eventually go away or stop.

Be a part of the solution and not the problem.

Its not my duty to feed them, its their parents and their president. enough of my tax money goes to grants and other un-accounted for theft.

I give enough to tax and my selected charities

Just an pack an extra one. Its a highlight for them, make their day.

I generally like your comments, this one not so much but Ill look past it  :thumbup:

I generally like your comments, this one not so much but Ill look past it  :thumbup:

Ok, I'll pack 2 extras next time and give 1 on your behalf. Then all parties are happy :)

You cant not like that?

Edited by Patchelicious

Never thought of that, maybe to put a few sweets in the one pocket.  I generally do the hand claps with them as I go past in races.  Think it means a lot for them to feel a bit more of the action.  Then again as mentioned in another post I am the guy that thanks nearly every marshal and traffic officer  :whistling:

Edit: much easier to do the interactions when not in a group

Edited by LeoKnight

On Malibongwe one of those little F@#@ers tried to steal my waterbottle out of my frame whilst I was waiting for my cousin to come up the hill... And just to add to my frustration with them, on the road you turned to the right after Malibongwe (whatever it's name was), one of them asked me to give him my bike. Seriously?! My bike!!!!!

On Malibongwe one of those little F@#@ers tried to steal my waterbottle out of my frame whilst I was waiting for my cousin to come up the hill... And just to add to my frustration with them, on the road you turned to the right after Malibongwe (whatever it's name was), one of them asked me to give him my bike. Seriously?! My bike!!!!!

Maybe next time he should use the sarcasm font just to avoid confusion.

Ok, I'll pack 2 extras next time and give 1 on your behalf. Then all parties are happy :)

You cant not like that?

What I have done in the past is to grab sweets at all the filling stations where they are eagerly handing out bar one's etc, not because I need it but to give to the first little trick-or-treater I see. Imagine it as a Halloween of sorts for us Saffers that don't do the real one. 

Crap.

That just makes the problem worse.

They are no better than window washers at a traffic light, if they dont get, they eventually go away or stop.

Be a part of the solution and not the problem.

Its not my duty to feed them, its their parents and their president. enough of my tax money goes to grants and other un-accounted for theft.

I give enough to tax and my selected charities

difference is these are only kids