Telkom 947 Cycle Challenge - #CC2017

Bonus

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didnt have issues with the kids, all of them pretty well behaved standing on the side of the road.

One or two shouting "Goo Goo". Was pretty funny

Where does it stop though?

You dont want a situation like where you have to get extra people to control this.

At Sani2c they also had some incidents a year or two ago where it went from asking for chocolates to pulling people of their bikes.

Comrades and dusi are good examples of how bad it can get...

Had my “special” canoeing cap stolen off my head in a rapid by a little kid standing on a rock... the fact that it had a string around my chin did not stop him....

Lady friend running Comrades had her gel ripped out of her hand by a little kid amongst a group of kids who were behaving very aggressive towards the runners

What do you guys think.

Was this year more difficult than last year?

Same route except for the start change.. I posted EXACTLY the same time as last year. Exactly.

Lost my legs in Steyn City.. I found them on the second lap at the end

A few years ago the organizers of Sani asked the riders to please not give any "sweets" or goodies to the kids begging next to the trails. Things had gotten out of hand where some of the "kids" ( remember where an 8 year old might be all innocent a 14 year old might not be ) harassed some of the female riders so much that they felt unsafe. It is very obviously a compound problem that will eventually lead to a bad situation if kids are encouraged to beg and become violent with each other ( and maybe later on riders ) due to the fact that they get thrown sweets by some riders. You have to be very naive to not see that eventually things will turn ugly. Please don't get me wrong , I also really feel sorry for the poor kids , but as mentioned earlier , there are much better ways to contribute to their lives and happiness than to throw them a handful of sweets at a cycle race. I have 2 young daughters , and I hope that they can for many years to come feel safe enough to enjoy riding the 94.7 .

On Malibongwe one of those little F@#@ers tried to steal my waterbottle out of my frame whilst I was waiting for my cousin to come up the hill... And just to add to my frustration with them, on the road you turned to the right after Malibongwe (whatever it's name was), one of them asked me to give him my bike. Seriously?! My bike!!!!!

They want everything

What do you guys think.

Definitely a tougher route than the old one, this was the first time I did this route that goes through Steyn City

This was my hardest yet and 7th in a row. Next year I’m gonna train!

My exact experience - missed a few between my first one in 2000 and 2011, but have done every one since 2011 (so 7 in a row) - this was the slowest of those 7 - going to train HARDER for next year.

“Overlanders” have been sitting with the sweetie problem for years. And the best is to rather not give any sweets. We now take pencils and coloring books to give to them. Although their enthusiasm is way less.

Edited by Jaws677

What do you guys think.

yes and no.....I got to the entrance of steyn city 10 min later than last year but finished 1 min less in total???

They were after the farbars. Saw a few guys throw one their way and all they did was stick it in their pockets and carry on asking for a Chocolate!!! If they were that hungry they would have eaten it there and then!

Actually got quite irritating after hearing it go on for 20km's or so :angry: . How was it that every kid along-side the road for that distance knew to say what the others 20km's back were saying to get what they wanted?

On more than one occasion during a race when the kids asked me for sweets, I said I was hungry and asked them if they didn't have anything for me... they offered me the sweets/race bars they had gotten from other riders! Obviously I didn't take them.

These are just kids, their daily meals probably consist of some pap or bread, fancy sweets aren't something they can regularly enjoy and I mean how many kids don't enjoy sweets. Just let them be, if you don't want to give away your nutrition just keep pedaling.

“Overlanders” have been sitting with the sweetie problem for years. And the best is to rather not give any sweets. We now take pencils and coloring books to give to them. Although their enthusiasm is way less.

They dont wanna work, they want instant gratification.

Dont feed that whatsoever.

They need to learn to do stuff, not listen to their parents by going and begging.