E-bike Strava chasers

Quagga

On the segments I care about I know most on the leaderboard so if some random with no KOM's takes it I just flag for the best. Was an e-bike around constania the other day, random person, flag, looked at some more rides and one was a "first day on E-bike" In real life there are no chris froome improvements.

So there is a side road that a lot of my club mates ride often as it adds just one little extra hill and about 1 km to a club ride and its also good to sometimes split from the group and push hard to see if you can make up the time and join the club again when the roads link up. It also happens to be part of my daily commute home. Usually its a head wind climb but as I ride the road so much I have experienced a few tail winds. I used to sit in the top 5 until one day on my way home all the stars aligned(wind good, robots good, traffic good, legs good) and I took it by 2 seconds. Now this road runs alongside the highway and every now and then I get that email "uh o someone stole your KOM" and some oke has been driving on the highway with his strava on.

Helps riding a segment plenty of times, eventually you get lucky. You obviously need to be capable of getting a KOM and you need to ride it hard as often as possible.

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not so long ago I was feeling pretty good on a ride, & as I was approaching my last climb before home I noticed a slowish truck approaching from behind. 5:45am on a sunday morning...so as he passed I jumped into his slip. This hill is fairly long (1km) and unrelenting...and before I knew it was flying, in my 53×14 and not slowing down. I suddenly remembered I had Strava on and thought "This will be a KOM for sure!"

I summited faster than ever before. Got home checked Strava. I was on the same time as Darryl Impey for the climb! But we were both 45seconds slower than the 5 people ahead of us. I admit I benefitted from the truck, and Darryl would have done the effort he logged...but the other guys (& 1 lady)? An average speed in excess of 48kph up a hill? I dunno why we dont have more TDF participants!!

No...I am not a religious Strava user, I simply used it to log distance as I didnt have a GPS at the time. Would it have been right for me to leave my time up on Strava for that climb? No. I knew someone would flag me, so I wasnt too concerned. But nobody has flagged these other guys!! Nor will I to be honest, I just find it funny.

I get that email "uh o someone stole your KOM" 

That is actually the one part of Strava I resent a bit - as if you are entitled to that KOM and that other dastardly person did something illegal by taking it from you...

I used to be a bit of a Stravashole about my KOMs but luckily as more people started using Strava I realised the only reason I would have a KOM is because the local pro haven't done an interval on that section yet or the local "KOM hunter" haven't chased it down in gail force tail winds. (not even mentioning ebikes).

I rarely do the Strava hunting thing nowadays (nothing to do with the fact that I'm also getting old & slow  :ph34r: )

A KOM is not yours to keep but it is not there to be stolen.

You earn a kom - you don't thieve it.

Forgotten one - your luck for a slipstream the kom is yours.

Absurd speeds get flagged - rider can simply object to a flag yes they can.

As a matter of interest what is the correct etiquette when somebody you don't know starts to follow you?

Do you have to follow them back?

As a matter of interest what is the correct etiquette when somebody you don't know starts to follow you?

Do you have to follow them back?

Nope

Am glad am of the mindset of I don't care and do not watch or follow KOMS!!

You are in denial

Nope

You are in denial

Nope, and I know where my asshole is and it is not on strava!

The only reason am on strava is to give the odd kudos to mates.

I prefer to do proper analysis of my swims, rides and runs or any workout for that matter with Trainingpeaks and Golden Cheetah.

KOM's mean actually very little in the great scheme of things.... unless you are in denial that you are part of a dick swinging competition! ;)

Naaaahhh dude....LOL :-)  I don't do strava, why pay yearly fee if its all free on Garmin Connect??? 

Not using strava to show riding buddies who is the fastest.....just my opinion!!!

For someone who dont do strava, what is this then??

KOM

Now you'll need to get specific. In this case there's both an outer and an inner...

I prefer Buzz Lightyear's take, "KOMS........................., KOMS everywhere"

Now you'll need to get specific. In this case there's both an outer and an inner...

I prefer Buzz Lightyear's take, "KOMS........................., KOMS everywhere"

What is inner kom?