WTF type crashes

MJ the Expat

Few years ago.  Road bike cruising along at an easy pace.

Look left at something, can't remember what.

Road kinked slightly to the right.

Next moment the curb needs to be bunny hopped, street name board needs to be avoided and I end up over the bars in the grass almost into a fence.

Moer funny. 

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had a few, but here's a juicy one. 

Was still living in Lonehill (Fourways area) and got up one morning for a pre-dawn ride. Completed my loop and was heading home along the footpaths next to Witkoppend Rd. I approach the Caltex service station and on the footpath there is a piece of cement that juts out of the path. I don't see it and ride into it and it brings me to a complete stop. I lose my balance and topple over to the left. Unable to unclip, I proceeded to donner into the drain next to the path. I somehow catch myself and was literally hanging onto the edge of the drain. I compose myself and realise I'm about 1/2m off the ground and drop down. I get my bike out of the ditch/drain and walk out. As fate would have it, there were a bunch of pedestrians walking past and they were all "Joh, joh, joh". 

I assessed the damage and realized that in the process of donnering into the drain I landed on my chest and my brand spanking new Sony Xperia cell which was in my chest pocket was tacoed. 

Here's a Google Street View snip for a visual reference:

post-62668-0-18445300-1500984791_thumb.png

Edited by Johnathan Cavalier DeTempê

While teaching my daughter how to ride, i decide to lift my front wheel and join her on the pavement.

Of course, i mistimed it and fell off the bike right in front of her...all at below walking pace.

Bike Damage: R0.00

Physical Pain: 1/10

Everlasting Shame: 10/10

Had the same type of thing. Teaching son to ride, lost my front wheel on gravel at snail pace, landed on the only rock close to the driveway. Worst of all, I dinged my frame!

My son was barely 2 years old. After that he would mock me by getting off his balance bike and going "bah" and then lying on the ground.

Come to think of it, it was worth it for that.

Bwaha. I did the exact same thing at Oak Valley. There were 2 bridges straight after each other, probably double that height. Between them the route changes. As I get right to the top of the 2nd one the wife shouts at me that we are going to wrong way, so I hesitate, and start loosing balance. Can't unclip in time and end up falling directly on my shoulder. I can't believe I didn't break my collar bone, but it was sore for months after that. Did break the GoPro mount on my handlebar (unfortunately the Go Pro wasn't on at the time either).

Edited by Piston ZA

Rosemary Hill - feature called the Lyk nes 'n monster - it is a northshore feature that is slightly elevated with rollers and a slight kick at the end and a drop off of about 50cm - nothing a pre-schooler can't do.

Anyway, I am rolling along in bright orange baggies, camelbak, plus sized tyres, dropper post, got the enduro bro look going on properly. I hear some guys behind me - I see they are all fit middle aged guys in Lycra on Cannondale Scalpels. Fitness wise I know I cannot keep up to these guys, but me being arrogant thinks - let me just keep ahead of them till after the single track section coming up, I don't wanna be stuck behind them. I speed up, approaching the Lyk nes 'n monster feature waaay too fast. I pump through the rollers, having less and less control with each roller, finally I get kicked off the end, OTB, into the bushes with a handlebar into the ribs. 

The guys on Cannondale Scalpels all clear it at the same pace I am going, with some style at that - to my dismay! They stop to check if I am okay, I get the standard "I'm okay" out in between heavy breathing and grunting. The leader of this group looks at me, smirk on his face and says "Buddy you're wearing bright orange pants and you're lying in a bush - you're not okay!".

One of the most embarrassing moments I have had in a while - serves me right though.

Anyway, 2 cracked ribs. 9 months on and I still can't sleep on my left side without pain haha.

I've had a few, but here's a juicy one. 

Was still living in Lonehill (Fourways area) and got up one morning for a pre-dawn ride. Completed my loop and was heading home along the footpaths next to Witkoppend Rd. I approach the Caltex service station and on the footpath there is a piece of cement that juts out of the path. I don't see it and ride into it and it brings me to a complete stop. I lose my balance and topple over to the left. Unable to unclip, I proceeded to donner into the drain next to the path. I somehow catch myself and was literally hanging onto the edge of the drain. I compose myself and realise I'm about 1/2m off the ground and drop down. I get my bike out of the ditch/drain and walk out. As fate would have it, there were a bunch of pedestrians walking past and they were all "Joh, joh, joh". 

I assessed the damage and realized that in the process of donnering into the drain I landed on my chest and my brand spanking new Sony Xperia cell which was in my chest pocket was tacoed. 

Here's a Google Street View snip for a visual reference:

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

Also went into a drain.

Waiting for some people I decided not to clip out but rather hold on to a chevron sign next to the road.

As I pushed against it, the sign fell over as it wasnt firmly planted. 

Ended up in the drain with the sign and my bike.

Luckily no damage done just a couple of scratches.

:blush:

Years ago riding through some nice English woods with a group of friends. I was at the back.

Got to a 3m odd "dip" in the path between the trees - the sort of thing we call "bomb-craters"  because, (some trivia for you here) there are lots of fields and woods in SE England where there are old bomb craters, created when German bombers needed to dump their bombs on missions that didn't make in to London.

So as I roll over the lip of this "bomb-crater", I see a 20cm high 30cm wide tree stump right in the middle of the path at the bottom of the dip . . . which all my friends had managed to negotiate without problem.

Now for some reason known to no-one, not even me, instead of choosing "left or right" as I started to roll, I rather thought to myself "I'll decide when I get there"?

Next thing I remember was me on the ground, winded, and my friends standing around me saying I "hit the ground so hard that the trees shook and birds flew away . . . ."

Edited by Bonus

Hahaha some brilliant stories here! Worst I've done was fall into a river when I couldn't unclip my cleats fast enough

While teaching my daughter how to ride, i decide to lift my front wheel and join her on the pavement.

Of course, i mistimed it and fell off the bike right in front of her...all at below walking pace.

Bike Damage: R0.00

Physical Pain: 1/10

Everlasting Shame: 10/10

Hahaha! I can sympathise. Was riding with my daughter and was so preoccupied with what she was doing that I managed to tip myself into a concrete drainage culvet. The kid then busted me with the wife. "Daddy fall over. Daddy silly billy"

My WTF crash (tip over) was on a rocky bit of a small climb, I tried to pass a friend who fell over there on the previous ride when trying to cleat out. So she was going extra slow as not to fall again, I got out of the saddle and didn't realize that I was in a gear waaay to low, needless to say I slipped on the rocks, lost my balance and fell down in the same spot trying to cleat out as where she fell the week prior. never felt so stupid in my mountain biking history!

First ride on my new flash. Long gentle down hill to a little stream at the bottom. I will hop this and keep my bike clean, I think.

Gets the hop wrong, land front heavy and a bit left of centre. Nearly OTB with my left hand buried in my guts, I swerve off the road and towards the little stream I tried to cross.

No ways is my bike getting mud on it. I land on my back still clipped in and holding the bars. I am in the water but the bike is safe and dry.

Laughed at my self for the rest of the ride and made many more memories with that bike.