Braai etiket...

MJ the Expat

Ooooh that is definitely a skill worth learning!! 

My basic recipe (this is subject to personal preferences) which feeds about 8 people:

Size 4 pot, low- medium heat

Brown 4-5 roughly chopped onions, I like mine in slithers the length of the onion about 2cm wide.

If you are using lamb chops/neck chops I prefer browning it over the open fire (braai style) and seasoned with salt and pepper, then add to the pot.

Add 1 bottle of dry red wine, open a second and poor a glass for yourself.

Once the pot starts simmering start stirring every half a glass of wine, or 15-20 minutes.

Let 3.5hours pass with the pot simmering nicely. 

By this time you should be well seasoned, and not handling sharp objects anymore so it is suggested that you pre-cut the vegetables.

Add the sliced potatoes (or baby potatos if you are using those), let the pot cook for another 30 minutes. If the sauce does not cover the potatoes you can add some water to cover it all.

Dissolve 1 tablespoon of mezina (or whatever the spelling is) together with a packet of brown onion soup with about 300ml of water

Add the balance of the veggies, mushrooms, baby marrows, patty-pans, and carrots. Cook for another 30 mins

Start the rice on the stove, and add some bread dough you bought from SPAR and rolled in balls on top of the potjie (on top of the veggies).

The top of the veggies should just be covered in fluid at this time.

Once the rice is done so is the dumplings.

PS. Once you start adding the veggies DO NOT STIR!!! I however give the pot a good stir before I add the dough..

PSS. All times above are just indications and subject to change depending on wine levels.

Did someone say DUMPLINGS  :w00t:

We only use this for dumplings

post-44358-0-12143800-1502722092_thumb.jpeg

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yummmmmmmmm

During my next trip to the Big Smoke the first stop will be your butcher  :drool:  :drool:

During my next trip to the Big Smoke the first stop will be your butcher  :drool:  :drool:

PM me when next you are up on the correct side of the Boerewors curtain....

0fe6561d9ac553095318f9fbad2e0986.jpg

bda9d660cfd05bf7482bd8cacf96eb39.jpg

Today's braai. 2x lamb tjops, 2x pork tjops, 2x chicken sosaties, and 1x wors. The wifey got back from Cape Town yesterday so I thought I would do a little extra. I haven't tried mushroom on the braai yet, might try it next weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by WeekendWarrior80

I have a confession to make. I went to a braai last night, and the host carried on asking for my opinion as he's a bachelor who's only been braaing for himself, and we were braaing for 15.

Sadly, I took over. And then cooked a mates pork rib eye (yes, you get them) as per his request of medium. Without realising it was pork and he was being sarcastic.

I didn't see the packaging. It looked like normal rib eye in the night light.

Everything else was to perfection. He kakked me out (okay, he's a good mate and kakked me out lightly but I was more shell-shocked that I'd cooked something incorrectly) but then his wife asked me what was going on and I told her I'd been asked to cook it to medium.

First time someone has had to put something back on the fire. ????

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Who else cleans the grill with half an onion while there's still flames?

I find if I do that, then put the half onion in the fire, the neighbours know that we're braai'ing even before I put the meat on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk