Braai etiket...

MJ the Expat

I am also a regular on the fatties thread, but thought I will share.tonight's low carb.high fat braai. Some proper lamb rib with salt & pepper and lemon juice. Properbraai on a side stand.cb0a8b4dd2361f1faf22576e9120b225.jpg

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I find the lamb rib comes out better if you cut it up first. Then it gets nicely browned on four sides.

Also, why would you braai like that and not the normal way - let the fire burn down and then braai over the coals. Excuse my ignorance.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I find the lamb rib comes out better if you cut it up first. Then it gets nicely browned on four sides.

Also, why would you braai like that and not the normal way - let the fire burn down and then braai over the coals. Excuse my ignorance.

Hi, normal lamb rib is quite fatty and thick in some sections. I prefer to put it on a side angle and let it sort of braai for a long time to get rid of some fat, get the outside nice and crispy and the meat tender and juicy. For me to braai over normal coals, it is to hot, the fat gets burnt and the meat not cooked through properly. Hope it makes sense.

Hi, normal lamb rib is quite fatty and thick in some sections. I prefer to put it on a side angle and let it sort of braai for a long time to get rid of some fat, get the outside nice and crispy and the meat tender and juicy. For me to braai over normal coals, it is to hot, the fat gets burnt and the meat not cooked through properly. Hope it makes sense.

Yep. It's how Argentinian bbq is sometimes done, with large and / or fatty cuts. Radiant heat rather than direct. 

Yep. It's how Argentinian bbq is sometimes done, with large and / or fatty cuts. Radiant heat rather than direct.

7193dca0e8fd9e88747f9774e644e445.jpg
Yes please

• 2 weeks later...

I used yesterday's braai opportunity to start learning my six year old about roasting and using spices. First, we smelled the unroasted, "raw" spices, which doesn't smell like much. Then, after roasting, added everything in a thistle and mortar and started bashing them: first, the coriander, then a smell test, then pimento followed by a smell test, etc. He was intrigued and loved it. Loved bashing up everything into a powder even more!

I sent him outside to pick a lemon and taught him how to use a peeler to get the rind, added some juice to my spice mix with smoked paprika and olive oil. This turned out to be a top marinade with chicken, which we braaied with some Boer and Butcher wors (can really recommend), aubergine and tomatoes. Also did baked potatoes in the coals.

Paired very well with Triggerfish Roman Red amber ale.

post-33762-0-38808500-1523860438_thumb.jpg

post-33762-0-60895600-1523860449_thumb.jpg

post-33762-0-65959000-1523860461_thumb.jpg

Mortar and pestle. Hard work that. I find a cheap coffee bean grinder works a treat.

Got an antique cast iron mortar and pestle. Heavy duty monster that makes light work of one braai/curry's whole spice. My laaitie really enjoyed moering the spices. Me too. Better than kicking the dog due to being angry or frustrated. :ph34r: 

Got an antique cast iron mortar and pestle. Heavy duty monster that makes light work of one braai/curry's whole spice. My laaitie really enjoyed moering the spices. Me too. Better than kicking the dog due to being angry or frustrated. :ph34r:

LOVE my mortar and pestle. 

I used yesterday's braai opportunity to start learning my six year old about roasting and using spices. First, we smelled the unroasted, "raw" spices, which doesn't smell like much. Then, after roasting, added everything in a thistle and mortar and started bashing them: first, the coriander, then a smell test, then pimento followed by a smell test, etc. He was intrigued and loved it. Loved bashing up everything into a powder even more!

I sent him outside to pick a lemon and taught him how to use a peeler to get the rind, added some juice to my spice mix with smoked paprika and olive oil. This turned out to be a top marinade with chicken, which we braaied with some Boer and Butcher wors (can really recommend), aubergine and tomatoes. Also did baked potatoes in the coals.

Paired very well with Triggerfish Roman Red amber ale.

Sounds like a pub down the road

Another advantage of doing it this way is that the fat can run down and NOT catch fire when it drips on the hot coals. So, you don't have those flare-ups that burn your meat and you don't have to jump up every few minutes to play fireman Fred! :thumbup: (You can enjoy your beer better also.)