Braai etiket...

MJ the Expat

Jip, DaschundMagic is epic.

We have a brown specimen who at 8 months old successfully scaled a height of 750mm to get to 500g's of prime chicken breast busy defrosting.

Chowed the lot and then proceeded to sleep for about 9 hours.

Amazing to think as their dietary requirement at the time were 30g's of quality puppy food 3 times a day!

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jip, DaschundMagic is epic..............

All this Daschund talk made me think about one of my neigbours. He used to have 2 that he had from puppies. They were the noisiest, most unfriendly and aggressive lot. You couldn't walk past them in the street or past his property without them snarling and trying to bite you. 

Then, over a few years they all died and he replaced them with 3 rescued (already grown up) Daschunds.......and the new bunch all turned out incredibly friendly and laid back.

Sometimes I wonder whether the new lot know how lucky they are?

All this Daschund talk made me think about one of my neigbours. He used to have 2 that he had from puppies. They were the noisiest, most unfriendly and aggressive lot. You couldn't walk past them in the street or past his property without them snarling and trying to bite you. 

Then, over a few years they all died and he replaced them with 3 rescued (already grown up) Daschunds.......and the new bunch all turned out incredibly friendly and laid back.

Its the same with humans...

Those born into excess dont always appreciate it, those who come from less mostly do :)

• 1 month later...

Just seen on the Camp Master FB page that if you add Rosemary to the coals while they're burning, it enhances the flavour of the meat. Think I want to try that next time I braai.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Just seen on the Camp Master FB page that if you add Rosemary to the coals while they're burning, it enhances the flavour of the meat. Think I want to try that next time I braai.

I better make friends with somebody named Rosemary...

done that often. Gives a bit more smokey taste. I also use rosemary twigs in the cobb to smoke. Now you gave me an idea...rosemary smoked lamb rib

done that often. Gives a bit more smokey taste. I also use rosemary twigs in the cobb to smoke. Now you gave me an idea...rosemary smoked lamb rib

I do this often, as my Rosemary bush is next to the braai. Get some green twigs.

Smells a bit like a UB 40 concert though.  In fact i think i smoked a lot of Rosemary as a student when i bought my dope from the local dodgy gardener...

They are in general not kid friendly. My boy Sid the Dachshund who is about 11 kgs has taken a nip out of most of my friends kids at one time or another. Its always when they are getting out of the pool and are being loud and he gets hyped and then goes in for the nip. Very tactical is our Sid. The other three (we have four) couldn't care less. But i have warned the parents multiple time over the years and they all think its a Dachsie and they are cute. Far from it. He's a complete nightmare on a leash and will eat the neighbourhood given a chance. He beat up a lovely old black labrador when i was walking him down at the park off the leash. the labby had no chance. he had a Dachsie attached to his leg in seconds. The lab was howling and yelping and i was desperately trying to get him off.

They have caught birds and lizards and are always in the trash.

I was reading something about how, if they get stuck in too narrow a hole where they were chasing something i(which they were designed to do) the are one of the only dogs that will reverse out rather than stay stuck.

They are in general not kid friendly. My boy Sid the Dachshund who is about 11 kgs has taken a nip out of most of my friends kids at one time or another. Its always when they are getting out of the pool and are being loud and he gets hyped and then goes in for the nip. Very tactical is our Sid. The other three (we have four) couldn't care less. But i have warned the parents multiple time over the years and they all think its a Dachsie and they are cute. Far from it. He's a complete nightmare on a leash and will eat the neighbourhood given a chance. He beat up a lovely old black labrador when i was walking him down at the park off the leash. the labby had no chance. he had a Dachsie attached to his leg in seconds. The lab was howling and yelping and i was desperately trying to get him off.

They have caught birds and lizards and are always in the trash.

I was reading something about how, if they get stuck in too narrow a hole where they were chasing something i(which they were designed to do) the are one of the only dogs that will reverse out rather than stay stuck.

Dachshunds are notoriously bitey. In fact, a UK study concluded they are the most aggressive of 33 breeds that were investigated. Jack Russells are third, which I agree with. I have a little JR who is twenty times quicker to growl and bark than my Staffie/bulldog cross, who just wants to lick everyone and everything.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/2254479/Sausage-dogs-are-the-most-aggressive-dogs.html

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Dachshunds are notoriously bitey. In fact, a UK study concluded they are the most aggressive of 33 breeds that were investigated. Jack Russells are third, which I agree with. I have a little JR who is twenty times quicker to growl and bark than my Staffie/bulldog cross, who just wants to lick everyone and everything.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/2254479/Sausage-dogs-are-the-most-aggressive-dogs.html

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Had a dachshund once - worst dog breed after pugs. His jagsheid literally cost him his life.

Aah. Daschunds. I had 3 daschies, all rescues with varying degrees of quirkiness. Loved them to bits and they always made me laugh with their antics. Sadly they have since crossed Rainbow Bridge. Honestly didn't realise they were known as nippy dogs but those were the days before kids or friends having kids.