[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2018

Pure Savage

WHAAT, you are saying that protesters can organise an event in their calender 6 months in advance. Where did you hear this rumour, YOU magazine?

I would think that given the size of this event and the coverage it gets that YES, I do think they can earmark that day as one coordinated effort to get their voices heard and to disrupt. Especially if there are political elements involved with the main aim to put the Western Cape in the worst possible light.

The DA will hold up the Western Cape as their trump card to show how well they can govern if given the chance. With the leadup to the 2019 election, I fear these political elements will do everything in their power to disrupt the momentum of their opposition.

Adding to what Wannabee has said, the biggest mistake anyone can do is to underestimate anyone you are dealing with.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think that given the size of this event and the coverage it gets that YES, I do think they can earmark that day as one coordinated effort to get their voices heard and to disrupt. Especially if there are political elements involved with the main aim to put the Western Cape in the worst possible light.

The DA will hold up the Western Cape as their trump card to show how well they can govern if given the chance. With the leadup to the 2019 election, I fear these political elements will do everything in their power to disrupt the momentum of their opposition.

Adding to what Wannabee has said, the biggest mistake anyone can do is to underestimate anyone you are dealing with.

In terms of underestimating, are you telling me that the organisers would not have some sort of contingency in place or a backup plan should this happen again? Considering the embarrassment that this year was for them I'm sure they have looked at this and determined how they would deal with it should it become a problem.  . .

As has been said before as well, since all the other hundreds of sporting events that take place in Cape Town throughout the year have gone off with out a hitch, why would they then specifically take aim at the Cycle Tour?

Is the Two Oceans not also as big in terms of the running community? I know we have a narrow view when it comes to cycling, but other events have been fine, no indication as to why it should be different.

In terms of underestimating, are you telling me that the organisers would not have some sort of contingency in place or a backup plan should this happen again? Considering the embarrassment that this year was for them I'm sure they have looked at this and determined how they would deal with it should it become a problem.  . .

As has been said before as well, since all the other hundreds of sporting events that take place in Cape Town throughout the year have gone off with out a hitch, why would they then specifically take aim at the Cycle Tour?

Is the Two Oceans not also as big in terms of the running community? I know we have a narrow view when it comes to cycling, but other events have been fine, no indication as to why it should be different.

I am not saying that the organisers do not have plans i place

I am thinking that a protest group is a very dynamic thing, very difficult to mitigate against, they can and will move to a next disruption point if they are blocked of somewhere.

I can't speak for why they targeted they CTCT and not the Two Oceans Marathon, but I would not go thinking that because the other sporting events have gone off unscathed after CTCT that they won't target it again in 2018. Whatever motivated them to target CTCT might still be relevant next year.

True, whatever reason they decided to target it may still be there, but there is no direct reasoning to think that they will do it again.

A protest like that is mainly to gather media coverage for the problem they have, hence, if all the people drawing light to the question surrounding the protests on Facebook, would just drop the issue and stop drawing attention to it, we might be better off come next year.

It's clear that the organisers have no intention of acknowledging the protests or the role it played this year. I am sure that this was a decision not taken on a whim. So let's maybe support them and stop worrying about what might happen and just chill.

True, whatever reason they decided to target it may still be there, but there is no direct reasoning to think that they will do it again.

A protest like that is mainly to gather media coverage for the problem they have, hence, if all the people drawing light to the question surrounding the protests on Facebook, would just drop the issue and stop drawing attention to it, we might be better off come next year.

It's clear that the organisers have no intention of acknowledging the protests or the role it played this year. I am sure that this was a decision not taken on a whim. So let's maybe support them and stop worrying about what might happen and just chill.

Sorry bud.

The weekend cost most guys going down R10k+

Stop worrying is not an option.

Cool, I hear you. I think the organisers did the best of a bad situation, it was the perfect approach by the organisers to downplay the effect of the protests as much as possible.

Unfortunately you will not stop people talking about the possibility of further protests on Facebook, so we will have to live with the consequences.

If I stayed in the greater Cape area I would have entered for 2018 as soon as physically possible, the risk is actually minimal. I would advocate that every able bodied person in CPT does the effort to enter this great event

But, being a family of 3 from Gauteng, the risk is just a bit too much for me for 2018 so yes, I will worry and I will air my worries. If 2018 goes off without a hitch in terms of protests, then I will definitely enter come 2019.

I am also worried about the possibility of violent protest action, because the last one just proved that it is more possible than myself or the organizers thought.

Hopefully, there will be some serious and upfront negotiations to prevent it. (Get the community of your side and they will sort out the unruly element. Keep politics out of it. Cycling built up goodwill with how they donated to the fire victims last time round.)

Secondly, I would hope that the cops will have their ducks in a much more organized row the next time to deal with protest if needed.

I do not think that a quick route change is a possibility for a race of this magnitude. They will need at least a week to make a switch like that. 

Edited by DJR

Cool, I hear you. I think the organisers did the best of a bad situation, it was the perfect approach by the organisers to downplay the effect of the protests as much as possible.

Unfortunately you will not stop people talking about the possibility of further protests on Facebook, so we will have to live with the consequences.

If I stayed in the greater Cape area I would have entered for 2018 as soon as physically possible, the risk is actually minimal. I would advocate that every able bodied person in CPT does the effort to enter this great event

But, being a family of 3 from Gauteng, the risk is just a bit too much for me for 2018 so yes, I will worry and I will air my worries. If 2018 goes off without a hitch in terms of protests, then I will definitely enter come 2019.

Sorry bud.

The weekend cost most guys going down R10k+

Okay, so my attempt to calm people didn't work.

Different approach needed.

I agree, it costs a ton of money to go there, as it does for me as well, and for some it's worth the risk, and for others it's not. 

You are welcome to raise your concerns and air them, I'm concerned that the wind will play a role again, I just choose to keep it to myself.

But, to each his own.

WHAAT, you are saying that protesters can organise an event in their calender 6 months in advance. Where did you hear this rumour, YOU magazine?

Do you know how many protesters held Hout Bay ransom earlier this year? I mean PROPER protesters, not 'hangers-on'... It's been estimated it was around 40... it's not too difficult to get 40 people organised in secret. Also, I'm not debating the legitimacy of the protest, but they weren't local to HB - they roped the locals in, and incited the whole fiasco.

So... the reasons for the protest... have they gone away? or those in Masi? No and No, in case you're wondering... All it needs it ONE issue to flare up on the day, and next year this time our conversation will be completely different.

I suspect a repeat of 2017 more on the cards than you know. JMHO... I'm hoping for sanity between now and then

Okay, so my attempt to calm people didn't work.

Different approach needed.

I agree, it costs a ton of money to go there, as it does for me as well, and for some it's worth the risk, and for others it's not. 

You are welcome to raise your concerns and air them, I'm concerned that the wind will play a role again, I just choose to keep it to myself.

But, to each his own.

It is Friday after all, and what would the Hub be if people just kept their opinion to themselves.. :ph34r: 

Driving down from Bloem, I'm also concerned about the possibility of a repeat of the event getting shortened or cancelled.

But perhaps we should rather make a Hub-Emergency-Plan, or plans. Should things go wrong, where can we go to ride? Franschoek, Stellenbosch.... I don't know?

So... the reasons for the protest... have they gone away? or those in Masi? No and No, in case you're wondering... All it needs it ONE issue to flare up on the day, and next year this time our conversation will be completely different.

Yeah the reality is no one really knows whether it is going to flare up or not, we all can just speculate.

My view, if people are angry about issues they tend to protest immediately and act opportunistically and not spend up to a year carefully planning for a big event to coincide with their protests for better effect.

So I don't buy the idea that there are long term plans to disrupt the tour, but the reality is that on the day some issue can set protests off and there are no guarantees the organisers can give us that the tour won't be disrupted. That is a chance you are going to have to take when buying the plane tickets to fly down

Driving down from Bloem, I'm also concerned about the possibility of a repeat of the event getting shortened or cancelled.

But perhaps we should rather make a Hub-Emergency-Plan, or plans. Should things go wrong, where can we go to ride? Franschoek, Stellenbosch.... I don't know?

After this years failed start I drove back home over the mountain to Worcester, dropped of the road bike , loaded up the MTB and drove back over the mountain to go ride the Rhebokskloof MTB trails outside Paarl.

I decided that since I got up early and was prepared to ride my bike on the day I couldn't let it go to waste.

Maybe next year I'll keep the MTB lubed and ready waiting at home again, just in case......

Sent from my Vodacom Power Tab 10 using Tapatalk

Entered, although next year the CTCT is not the main focus of the weekend. I cannot wait to go to the XCO world cup race in Stellenbosch on the Saturday and that makes it totally worthwhile for me!

I like you're approach, I just might copy you.

Sent from my Vodacom Power Tab 10 using Tapatalk