Saddle Bags on Road Bikes: cool or uncool?

ByronH

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

THAT is one nice setup !!

check the scicon range. that's what i had. it uses a nice clip system under the saddle so it works with dropper as well. many sizes available

Been tweaking the setup of the Scott .... moved the saddle forward .... cant fit the saddlebag bracket to the saddle rails ....  :eek:

Went for a ride today without my trusty saddlebag .... felt like I left my "blanky" at home .....   :cursing:

but somehow I finished the ride and got home okay without the saddle bag .....  :devil:

I may just take out the kitchen zink and fit the most essential stuff in a SMALL bag, that can strap under the seat rails.  Time has come for Maritz to carry his own spare tube ....

You could strap the Saddlebag to Maritz's mtb and let him carry your spares  :devil: 

You could strap the Saddlebag to Maritz's mtb and let him carry your spares  :devil:

demmit ... hoekom het ek nie aan daai plan gedink nie ....  :devil:

pity there is hardly any space between his saddle and tire ....  :whistling:

Used a saddle bag up till a month or two ago I even went as far as using a top tube phone bag as a saddle bag , but now I just use my jersey pockets to carry the tools, spare tube and phone. Super efficient and the bike feels great with just a bottle and a pump attached to it.

Using an old water bottle to carry spares is also pretty slick.

Each to their own I rode with one but the velcro strap was damaging inner leg on my shorts so I got a little bag that zips closed all fits in there and I carry it in my back pocket. But then again that’s what works for me.

Each to their own I rode with one but the velcro strap was damaging inner leg on my shorts so I got a little bag that zips closed all fits in there and I carry it in my back pocket. But then again that’s what works for me.

Which unit did you use ?  The Speedsleeve ?

I honestly donvt know why the leg ends who don't ride with bombs and such don't just Velcro a small one to their backs and pretend it's the radio on a Tour timetrial. It's very aero under the regulation weekend skinsuit and they can also pretend they have a friend talking in their ear through the 'radio'. :whistling:

if you ride with a decent good quality bib...loose the saddle bag or make sure it is not rubbing on the inside of your bib...gonna cost me R 1.5 k for a new bib...thanks to our chairman who pointed out the problem...i was told to check my saddle...which did...there was no damage...couldnt understand why it got a hole...then riding back to the parking lot i felt exactly where the bib rubs on the strap on the saddle bag is where the hole is in the bib....no more strapped saddle bag for me...if you have skinny legs you shouldnt have this problem.

If you want to carry spares in a bag, a top tube bag is a good solution if you are running a dropper. Topeak makes some decent looking ones.

That’s borderline acceptable.

And it can pack a LOT of stuff !!  :w00t:

Got this bag (the small white one) from Olympic cycles -

post-110956-0-94814900-1536160007_thumb.jpg

At the price it was worth trying .... if this works I can look for a black bag....

Should add that the salesman sold me on a Spez 29er tube .... about half the packing space of a normal 29er tube !  And thus I can pack the following in the small bag -

post-110956-0-03951500-1536160195_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-67748300-1536160221_thumb.jpg

PS - This was the last one off their stock .... they will try to get more.  Salesman says they are getting more and more enquiries for saddle bags that are dropper friendly ...