Stung by a bee

nathrix

I have heard of people being stung many times throughout their life and then 1 sting later they are allergic. Must be you are one of those statistics. Pretty scary if you think about it.

Very scary! It means everyone should carry something for bee stings just in case. Here’s the proof, me. You don’t want something like this to happen to you (not even my worst enemy), i honestly though i’m going to die, that’s how bad it was!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ve been stung many times by bees and never had such reaction. Got stung yesterday afternoon, got stung right at my HR sensor where my heart is. I was thinking that I’ll stop under the shade of the tree and lhen have a lay down and then phone someone. I did not realise i was going into anaphylactic shock so quickly after about 3 minutes of being stung. I was totatlly disorientad, could not even phone my girlfriend who’s office was about 2km away from where i stopped! I will now have to carry a EpiPen (and anything else as a precaution) with me and i will have to phone someone immediately to pick me up. This was really a terrible experience, for me, it felt that i had too much to drink, wanted to throw up and i pass out.

Speak to your doc, ages ago (30 years) one could go on a treatment program to make you less alergic to bee stings, not sure if its still option.  had about 50/50 success rate if I recall 

Very scary! It means everyone should carry something for bee stings just in case. Here’s the proof, me. You don’t want something like this to happen to you (not even my worst enemy), i honestly though i’m going to die, that’s how bad it was!

Totally agree.

The fact that this happened while you were out riding probably didn't help either.  If you were just lazying around at home when the little bugger got you, the effect might not have been as severe.

A few years back on the old Willem Prinsloo 52 km track I rode into a swarm of bees.  Not much fun.  Just glad I did not get a reaction.  That was the days that the roads were quiet and calm.

OP, just glad that you are okay.  And well done to Karen for stopping.  People do not stop anymore to help others.

Speak to your doc, ages ago (30 years) one could go on a treatment program to make you less alergic to bee stings, not sure if its still option. had about 50/50 success rate if I recall

I dont think there is a desensitisation program that is sucessful against beestings.

Nathrix - you need to be tested properly and in all lillihood carry an epipen around at all times - maybe more too.

I wonder if you didnt accidentaly squash the poison sack when removing the sting and give yourself a big dose.

Glad you are ok - not a good experience at all.

That was bl00dy whasp that stung my big amaboepensie a couple of times thought It was my six pack hidden under my belly that had a stinging cramp, scratch it, messaged it, caressed it with round movements while riding. Got home about 2 hrs later to shower and noticed the red swelling where it zapped me!

Ah yes I remember now.

I was going to say you're a machine if you rode with us the day after this.

Glad you're ok though.

Karen is awesome.

About a year ago I was riding with somebody and they crashed. Some random stranger stopped and loaded us up and brought us back to Midrand from Pretoria.

There are good people out there.

I’ve been stung many times by bees and never had such reaction. Got stung yesterday afternoon, got stung right at my HR sensor where my heart is. I was thinking that I’ll stop under the shade of the tree and lhen have a lay down and then phone someone. I did not realise i was going into anaphylactic shock so quickly after about 3 minutes of being stung. I was totatlly disorientad, could not even phone my girlfriend who’s office was about 2km away from where i stopped! I will now have to carry a EpiPen (and anything else as a precaution) with me and i will have to phone someone immediately to pick me up. This was really a terrible experience, for me, it felt that i had too much to drink, wanted to throw up and i pass out.

Glad you are OK. Scary experience.

3 cheers for Karen!

I haven't been stung for about 20 years and got zapped while having lunch with friends towards the end of last year. I caught a fly in my hand and thought I was Mr Miyagi, except it wasn't a fly...

The reaction was slow to gather momentum, so I ignored it and down played it while everyone fussed. After a while my face and body was very blotchy and red, my heart rate rocketed, my vision went blurry and everything had a yellow tint, while I was shaking and feeling very disorientated. By this time everyone was really stressing (phoning thier Dr friends, getting ready to take me to hospital while the others looked after the kids etc.) so I realised that I wasn't OK. 

A few Allergex (anti histamine) pills and something in the cupboard that had Cortisone and I started coming right, but that made me realise that I had developed an allergy.

Time to put an epipen into my pocket when I ride.

Edited by splat

Glad you are OK and that there are Angels like Karen around.

If you have not done it yet, download the app "my SOS SA" on your phone. Brilliant to have in an emergency. Can be used to alert a range of emergency services.

Best of all, if you just open it up and is not able to activate the relevant emergency service (i.e. you are incapacitated, it has a count down before it sends out an alert automatically, with your current location pinned.You obviously must enter your details with emergency contact, etc.

Not yet had to use it myself, but good to have, just in case.

I have heard of people being stung many times throughout their life and then 1 sting later they are allergic. Must be you are one of those statistics. Pretty scary if you think about it.

i never had any problems.  A couple of years ago, during the Attakwas Mini, there were a bunch of us that was attacked by bees and I got stung really badly.  Managed to finish the race, even though in a lot of discomfort.  Late that night I started swelling up badly all over.  The next afternoon I was lying in the emergency room on drips for a couple of hours.  Now, just one bee sting and I balloon wherever I got caught.  The doctor say I am not allergic, but my body reacts really really bad to bee stings.

Hectic!. I always ride with Allergex pills in my pocket. few years ago I had blood tests done to check for bee alergy and am "mildly allergic" - ironically I got stung the day before my results were given to me and I had no reaction. Have been stung once while riding and just immediately took 2 Allergex and got safely home on my own steam. I think it helps to immediately take an anti-histamine.