The Over 50's Support Thread.

Bonus

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I cannot claim a 3hr something like Eddy, I had nearly twice as much fun. I rode with my 80 year old father and we came in at 5h54. I told him to set the pace and then I simply kept the crazies off him, sometimes blocking people from passing too close. He is slow but steady and climbed like a star. He also rides very carefully and rather stop for a minute to eat that to struggle with an energy bar or trying to peel a banana on the go. On top of Chappies he had a sit down on the stone wall to have something for lunch and he said "this stone is amazing, it is softer than my saddle". I sat down too, and it was true! (Not having done such a long slow one for a while, I really felt like my saddle grew fangs by that time.)  

Well, I cannot claim a 3hr something like Eddy, I had nearly twice as much fun. I rode with my 80 year old father and we came in at 5h54. I told him to set the pace and then I simply kept the crazies off him, sometimes blocking people from passing too close. He is slow but steady and climbed like a star. He also rides very carefully and rather stop for a minute to eat that to struggle with an energy bar or trying to peel a banana on the go. On top of Chappies he had a sit down on the stone wall to have something for lunch and he said "this stone is amazing, it is softer than my saddle". I sat down too, and it was true! (Not having done such a long slow one for a while, I really felt like my saddle grew fangs by that time.)  

Way to go  !!

Now back to the mountains !!

Edited by porqui

@DJR

I know the joy of riding with someone.

My last three rides have been taking a newby family member through the event from start to finish.

My brother in 3h50 five years ago, my 17 year old nephew in 6h40 four years ago, my sister-in-law through in 2h45 (ok, it was the short one), so this year was for me.

I agree with you, spending 6 hours in the saddle is a lot tougher than 3 and a half.

I agree with you, spending 6 hours in the saddle is a lot tougher than 3 and a half.

add 20-30-40 kg or 20-30-40 years to it...some tough or really stupid people out there...been there still doing it...just a little faster and a little lighter...certainly not younger...even though people have mentioned that i look younger ;)

To be that 80 yr old is my dream! Well done and respect to the Senior Toppie!

The last 3 outings were with my kids, more fun than the previous 23 put together. Interesting how your outlook changes as the sixties is looming :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Over 50s take heart, managed to set a PB on the run and for the full IM last week. Unexpected but I’ll take it. Never too old to get better.

Nice one! All that cold winter. Training in Guildford paid off . . .

Nice one! All that cold winter. Training in Guildford paid off . . .

Battled a bit in the heat so was slightly slower on the bike but aced the run when temps subsided a bit. ( well aced for me anyway)

Only discovered this thread now via a link. WOW some motivating story's here.

Growing old. It is all in the mind.

Born end of 1959. Raced from 1978 to 1994 then relaxed a bit to 1997 when I started racing again till 2000.

I had a big scare at the end of 1999. Dr discovered my left legbone was totally hollow from below the femur to half way down to my knee. Ended up with a steel plate to keep everything together. In places the bone was like an eggshell.

Felt very sorry for myself for 16 years as family, work and stress prevented me from training. ( My excuse). Grew fat and unfit.

Reached turning point in 2016 and bought myself a new MTB and have trained seriously since end of 2016.

Keen to start racing again once I can get the weight off. No use being fit but carry 20kg extra with you.

Johan

Only discovered this thread now via a link. WOW some motivating story's here.

Growing old. It is all in the mind.

Born end of 1959. Raced from 1978 to 1994 then relaxed a bit to 1997 when I started racing again till 2000.

I had a big scare at the end of 1999. Dr discovered my left legbone was totally hollow from below the femur to half way down to my knee. Ended up with a steel plate to keep everything together. In places the bone was like an eggshell.

Felt very sorry for myself for 16 years as family, work and stress prevented me from training. ( My excuse). Grew fat and unfit.

Reached turning point in 2016 and bought myself a new MTB and have trained seriously since end of 2016.

Keen to start racing again once I can get the weight off. No use being fit but carry 20kg extra with you.

Johan

Good to hear you're not all done yet Johan!

To be that 80 yr old is my dream! Well done and respect to the Senior Toppie! And YESSSSSS!!!! Excellent!!!

So, most hubbers know of the problems I had with last year's W2W, well the first 2 days anyway.

Eventually went for a bunch of tests:

Cholesterol: 3.5

Diabetes: 6

Blood Pressure: Perfect

Resting EKG: Perfect

Blood tests: All fine except Vit B12, which was far below lowest margin.

So now I am on Vit B12 jabs. Seems to be a problem that comes with age.

Still will need to do a Stress EKG just to confirm I have a healthy heart.

So, most hubbers know of the problems I had with last year's W2W, well the first 2 days anyway.

Eventually went for a bunch of tests:

Cholesterol: 3.5

Diabetes: 6

Blood Pressure: Perfect

Resting EKG: Perfect

Blood tests: All fine except Vit B12, which was far below lowest margin.

So now I am on Vit B12 jabs. Seems to be a problem that comes with age.

Still will need to do a Stress EKG just to confirm I have a healthy heart.

Uhm, no. You're either not consuming enough food with B12 or you have another underlying condition that is reducing your body's ability to absorb B12. 

Dis nie 'n 'ou mens kwaal' nie.