The Over 50's Support Thread.

Bonus

Uhm, no. You're either not consuming enough food with B12 or you have another underlying condition that is reducing your body's ability to absorb B12. 

Dis nie 'n 'ou mens kwaal' nie. 

OK. I eat enough meat. I wife born in Calvinia guarantees this. So, what could cause my body to not extract the Vit B12 from the meat?

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK. I eat enough meat. I wife born in Calvinia guarantees this. So, what could cause my body to not extract the Vit B12 from the meat?

I'm no doctor, but a possible culprit could be atrophic gastritis, which does result in B12 malabsorption. 

I definitely would not recommend scoffing down meat to try and deal with it. A single B12 supplement of 2500μg per week is sufficient (if you have normal levels).

First work with your doc to try and figure out the cause of the deficiency - again, it could be poor diet or another medical issue or even both. 

Edited by Odinson

"Hello Uncle" or "Hello Oom"  is something many of us in this "Club", myself included (a fairly newish member by the way), i'm guessing have been hearing for quite some time.

When i was little we were taught that referring to your elders in this way, was a manner of showing respect, whether it be direct family or non-family members, of a certain age. I was never quite sure what "this age" was, so i suppose everybody who looked to be over, say 30/40, qualified.

When i reached a certain age myself, and heard this term directed at me, it came as a bit of a surprise but i understood where it comes from, took no offence to being referred too in that manner and just accepted it. My wife, i think, is still having a tough time with the "Tannie" thing however  :D .

This morning however left me totally dumbstruck.

Driving to work, i stopped at the robot and this youngster (looks to be about 21-22 years old) was handing out these pamphlets advertising motor vehicle services for a nearby garage, walks up to my window, extends his hand, and while offering me the pamphlet says "Hello Oupa".

I don't think i've ever been at a loss for words, but this morning, NOTHING. He probably thought i was rude just staring at him, but really i just could not conjure up anything to say.

Now i understand that my bicycles are all of the 1inch steerer-tube variety and none of them are of the sloping toptube variety but being called "Oupa" is just nasty.

So guys and girls, please tell your children and grandchildren the Uncle/Oom or Aunty/Tannie thing is ok (with no age cutoff), but to please reserve the Oupa/Ouma thing for your immediate grandparents or in-laws  :D  :D  :D

Oupa! Ouch.

I was always fine with the Oom thing from youngsters. It's when people who are clearly in their 30s start using it towards you that it stings!

Tannie just doesn't work the same I'm afraid. Just like Bull/Cow or Dog/Bitch.

:-)

"Hello Uncle" or "Hello Oom"  is something many of us in this "Club", myself included (a fairly newish member by the way), i'm guessing have been hearing for quite some time.

When i was little we were taught that referring to your elders in this way, was a manner of showing respect, whether it be direct family or non-family members, of a certain age. I was never quite sure what "this age" was, so i suppose everybody who looked to be over, say 30/40, qualified.

When i reached a certain age myself, and heard this term directed at me, it came as a bit of a surprise but i understood where it comes from, took no offence to being referred too in that manner and just accepted it. My wife, i think, is still having a tough time with the "Tannie" thing however  :D .

This morning however left me totally dumbstruck.

Driving to work, i stopped at the robot and this youngster (looks to be about 21-22 years old) was handing out these pamphlets advertising motor vehicle services for a nearby garage, walks up to my window, extends his hand, and while offering me the pamphlet says "Hello Oupa".

I don't think i've ever been at a loss for words, but this morning, NOTHING. He probably thought i was rude just staring at him, but really i just could not conjure up anything to say.

Now i understand that my bicycles are all of the 1inch steerer-tube variety and none of them are of the sloping toptube variety but being called "Oupa" is just nasty.

So guys and girls, please tell your children and grandchildren the Uncle/Oom or Aunty/Tannie thing is ok (with no age cutoff), but to please reserve the Oupa/Ouma thing for your immediate grandparents or in-laws  :D  :D  :D

You do know now that you are sleeping with an Ouma?  :ph34r:

You do know now that you are sleeping with an Ouma?  :ph34r:

She's not going to like it when i tell her the story and your comment this evening  :w00t:

She's not going to like it when i tell her the story and your comment this evening  :w00t:

I would not do that.

I would not do that.

Told her the story but left out Morodin's comment.

She could'nt stop laughing

Edited by seanp

It's funny how as you get older, things happen that give you pause for thought.

Yesterday we got our Spanish driving licenses. The license is good for 10 years, which means the next time it has to be renewed I will be 64!

#shocking

It's funny how as you get older, things happen that give you pause for thought.

Yesterday we got our Spanish driving licenses. The license is good for 10 years, which means the next time it has to be renewed I will be 64!

#shocking

Then you will be able to rent a cottage in the Isle of Man, if it's not too dear. :-)