Yet another tragic loss

Cotic

RIP Nino - such a terrible tragedy, thoughts with his young family  :(

Everyone thinking it was a drunk driver, frankly it could just as well have been another cyclist the way all motorists seem to completely ignore safety... it's not just in cycling, also seen it with runners leaving running races ignoring their fellow sportsmen still out on the road. 

We're all in such a big damn rush and all feel so very self important that we never stop and think about our actions and the consequences of the smallest errors when travelling in our big tin tanks.

Drunk driving is a problem, but so is speeding, texting, not paying attention etc etc - they can all take some innocents life at a moments notice

Be the change you want to see out there

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Andrew.

I so agree with you.

It could have been a ceded cyclist being late and wanting to get to the start on time.

I have seen it numerous times over the years.

And it certainly was a SUV type vehicle as it drove over him.

It boils down the fact that whoever did it has no compunction or concience.

We're all in such a big damn rush and all feel so very self important that we never stop and think about our actions and the consequences of the smallest errors when travelling in our big tin tanks.

I was/is  in fortunate position to have owned series 2 and 3 landrovers and currenlty own 40-50 year old vehicles as my daily drivers..  You learn that driving at 80km/h only piss of other people, you get to your destination relaxed and on time (just leave bit earlier). 

There really no need to rush; if you are late, you're late, live with it. There is nothing so important that you have to drive like maniac and kill someone else..

Edited by Karman de Lange

I was/is  in fortunate position to have owned series 2 and 3 landrovers and currenlty own 40-50 year old vehicles as my daily drivers..  You learn that driving at 80km/h only piss of other people, you get to your destination relaxed and on time (just leave bit earlier). 

There really no need to rush; if you are late, you're late, live with it. There is nothing so important that you have to drive like maniac and kill someone else..

If you're going to be late due to reasons beyond your control, then your going to be late. Sorry but it happens.

If you're going to be late because you messed up in some way - whether you overslept or just had to browse BikeHub for an extra 5 mins before you left,  then you're going to be late. You're a muppet and you're going to be late. It also happens.

In either case - it's not an excuse to drive dangerously.

HP is a road I always avoided like the plague. Can't remember how many deaths there's been in the last ten years, but its many. Motorbikes too. Don't know if it's because the road is quite wide and straight in places or what?

That and the sharing of this road between runners, cyclists, bikers, cars, trucks and taxis and some of those speed past traffic in the yellow lane... the paint of the yellow lane has faded a lot on some stretches so it's not even clear there is a yellow lane.

So sad for his friends and family!

This is the kind of thing that makes me question if riding on the road is worth it. Accidents happen everywhere but ****...this is heartbreaking because nobody saw what actually happened and that **** of a driver is out there living his life.

I am on the page of road riding not being worth it, they way people drive I am convinced that it is not a matter of if you get hit but rather when. I do the 94.7 and love it but my road riding starts and ends there.

I would rather take my chances on the worlds most hectic downhill course (and I don't do downhill) as opposed to riding on our roads.

Very sad state of affairs.

RIP Nino - thoughts go out to the family 

Edited by Wet Ears

Sorry to hear about yet another hit and run fatality. Condolences to you and his family, Cotic.

I hardly ride the roads any more much as I enjoy it. We're training for the CTCT at the moment and were out for 67km on Sunday. It was mostly fun but the scary driving on the homeward leg made  reaching home safe and sound a relief.

You simply cannot rely on motorists to drive carefully and safely around you. Some times defenisve riding will save you, but the drunken or careless @sshole coming from behind you is another story...

Everyone thinking it was a drunk driver, frankly it could just as well have been another cyclist the way all motorists seem to completely ignore safety... 

Exactly.

Like the Double-cab Hilux with two bikes on the back that nearly ran us off the road while he was overtaking a slower vehicle between Kloofsig and Avianto yesterday morning.

Very sad news and so sorry to read this.

It sent a chill down the spine. I rode down HP to the race and rode back home along HP on Saturday. 

RIP Nino.

Cotic condolences to you and to his family. You guys are in my prayers.

Sent from my SM-J200H using Tapatalk

Exactly.

Like the Double-cab Hilux with two bikes on the back that nearly ran us off the road while he was overtaking a slower vehicle between Kloofsig and Avianto yesterday morning.

We used to park at either Something Country or the Rhino & Lion park and the number of times we'd see cars with bikes leaving either off those venues and just pull out in front of bikes was beyond belief. Particularly the R&L where bikes get a bit of speed coming down the hill.

Some clarity from someone who was close by when it happened.

I can confirm that this was exactly where the incident occurred.

A friend, my wife and I were getting ready in the open parking on HP Rd side. Around 5:20am we heard - what sounded like - a car crashing into a barrier and what we thought was a bicycle falling off a bike rack. We looked up and to our horror noticed that it must have been a cyclist that was hit as there were no signs of the car slowing down. It was still quite dark out and by the time we realized what had happened, the car was long gone.

My friend ran towards the scene and my wife called the emergency number printed on our race numbers. We also rushed to the scene.

The ambulance arrived within minutes and they rushed him to hospital.

As far as witnesses are concerned - there were very few people around as it was still quite early and at that point in time there were also no other vehicles that we noticed traveling in either direction.

Our statements were taken by race officials and it seems the matter is being taken very seriously.

Our sincerest condolences to the family. They are in our prayers.

May he rest in piece.

I presume the bike had lights on?

I presume the bike had lights on?

Probably not, seeing as he was warming up for a race. Doesn't make any difference to the fact the driver of the car killed someone and drove away, if that's what you're alluding to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk