Yet another tragic loss

Cotic

Probably not, seeing as he was warming up for a race. Doesn't make any difference to the fact the driver of the car killed someone and drove away, if that's what you're alluding to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not alluding to anything, and yes you're absolutely right.

If it was the case, however, that there were no lights on the bike at 5:20 in the morning then I'm sure most would agree that's a little irresponsible?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it was the case, however, that there were no lights on the bike at 5:20 in the morning then I'm sure most would agree that's a little irresponsible?

How about starting a new thread where you can blame the victim instead of doing it here where his friends and family will most likely read it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No comment.

It's also pretty irresponsible to hit someone with your car and drive off. We can throw the blame all day but it won't bring the guy back. So maybe do the responsible thing and keep comments like this to yourself. Might also be a good idea to edit you post, I am sure if his wife reads this the last thing she will want to see is what you posted. 

I will edit this post if you do the same.

It's also pretty irresponsible to hit someone with your car and drive off. We can throw the blame all day but it won't bring the guy back. So maybe do the responsible thing and keep comments like this to yourself. Might also be a good idea to edit you post, I am sure if his wife reads this the last thing she will want to see is what you posted. 

I will edit this post if you do the same.

This is a very tragic death, no one is disputing that. Every time I see these reports it hits home, hard. I am sure it's the same for everyone here. I didn't know Nino, but from his Facebook profile, it looked like he loved his family very much. The driver was absolutely in the wrong. When I drive around in the morning, I drive slower, especially in badly lit areas. We all can do something to keep each other, and ourselves safer.

That does not mean we shouldn't discuss what could have been done better to improve our safety. Maybe we can do it with more tact, but shutting down a discussion is actually counter productive. 

After reading this, I am making an effort to put lights on my bike. I have never needed to ride in the dark, but with winter approaching, it seems I will need them soon. I hope everyone else does the same. 

And my thoughts are with Nino's family and friends. 

Good news that they caught the driver, strangely it wasn't a white bakkie that was originally thought.

Thoughts are with the family during this tough time.

19 yo....so he probably just finished his matric ..when his life is supposed to start it ends..life choices

19 yo....so he probably just finished his matric ..when his life is supposed to start it ends..life choices

Agreed. Two lives destroyed as one of the previous posters said.

• 4 years later...

DRIVER WHO IS SUSPECTED OF KILLING CYCLIST TO BE PROSECUTED AFTER PRIVATE PROSECUTION UNIT INTERVENES

DRIVER WHO IS SUSPECTED OF KILLING CYCLIST TO BE PROSECUTED AFTER PRIVATE PROSECUTION UNIT INTERVENES

ByAfriForum

10/03/2022

The accused in the death of the cyclist Nino Oppel has been summoned by the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) to appear in the Krugersdorp Regional Court on 13 April 2022. This follows after AfriForum’s Private Prosecution Unit, who are currently assisting the Oppel-family, made comprehensive representations to the Director of Public Prosecutions in Gauteng (DPP) after the NPA initially indicated that they would not prosecute. Oppel was participating in the popular Berge en Dale cycling race in Muldersdrift, Gauteng when the accused allegedly hit him with his vehicle and sped away.

The DPP, in reaction to the Private Prosecution Unit’s representations, already in August 2020 indicated that there is a prima facie case against the accused and that he should be prosecuted. Nevertheless, the chief prosecutor in the West Rand only indicated this week that the NPA would indeed institute prosecution. AfriForum’s Private Prosecution Unit therefore in February of this year wrote another letter to the DPP requesting that a prosecutor from his office be appointed to prosecute the accused after it appeared that there were unnecessary delays with the prosecution process. The NPA indicated that they have arranged for another investigating officer to further investigate the matter.

“We welcome the fact that the accused has finally been summoned to appear in court and we will also be in court on 13 April to support the Oppel-family. It is, however, shocking that we had to put so much pressure on the NPA to force them to simply do their duty and prosecute the accused without fear, favour or prejudice,” says Andrew Leask, Chief Investigator at AfriForum’s Private Prosecution Unit.