Yet another tragic loss

Cotic

HP is a road I always avoided like the plague. Can't remember how many deaths there's been in the last ten years, but its many. Motorbikes too. Don't know if it's because the road is quite wide and straight in places or what?

It's one of the few roads one can use to get to and from the Cradle, hence used by a number of cyclists, and it has a very high motor traffic volume.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's one of the few roads one can use to get to and from the Cradle, hence used by a number of cyclists, and it has a very high motor traffic volume.

Also a lot of bars/venues/etc all around that area so I imagine, in combination with the impatient asshats who hit cyclists in the yellow lanes, that there are plenty drunk off their moer drivers trying to creep out early morning...

Hell, even in CT I worry about rides that start Before 6am, had way too may close calls and seen too many drivers off their line and out of it... Scary problem we have here in SA...

From the blood and bits of bike, it looks like it was about 20m before the robot at the parking exit at the top on the way up, as the kick starts cresting.

Some clarity from someone who was close by when it happened.

I can confirm that this was exactly where the incident occurred.

A friend, my wife and I were getting ready in the open parking on HP Rd side. Around 5:20am we heard - what sounded like - a car crashing into a barrier and what we thought was a bicycle falling off a bike rack. We looked up and to our horror noticed that it must have been a cyclist that was hit as there were no signs of the car slowing down. It was still quite dark out and by the time we realized what had happened, the car was long gone.

My friend ran towards the scene and my wife called the emergency number printed on our race numbers. We also rushed to the scene.

The ambulance arrived within minutes and they rushed him to hospital.

As far as witnesses are concerned - there were very few people around as it was still quite early and at that point in time there were also no other vehicles that we noticed traveling in either direction.

Our statements were taken by race officials and it seems the matter is being taken very seriously.

Our sincerest condolences to the family. They are in our prayers.

May he rest in piece.

Some clarity from someone who was close by when it happened.

I can confirm that this was exactly where the incident occurred.

A friend, my wife and I were getting ready in the open parking on HP Rd side. Around 5:20am we heard - what sounded like - a car crashing into a barrier and what we thought was a bicycle falling off a bike rack. We looked up and to our horror noticed that it must have been a cyclist that was hit as there were no signs of the car slowing down. It was still quite dark out and by the time we realized what had happened, the car was long gone.

My friend ran towards the scene and my wife called the emergency number printed on our race numbers. We also rushed to the scene.

The ambulance arrived within minutes and they rushed him to hospital.

As far as witnesses are concerned - there were very few people around as it was still quite early and at that point in time there were also no other vehicles that we noticed traveling in either direction.

Our statements were taken by race officials and it seems the matter is being taken very seriously.

Our sincerest condolences to the family. They are in our prayers.

May he rest in piece.

Sjoe hectic. ...so sad...may he Rest in Peace...

RIP

05h20 it’s still pitch dark outside. No doubt contributing to the lack of witnesses being able to identify the asshole driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Terrible !

I am not a teetotaler but the sooner we move to a zero alcohol limit for drivers the better , so that we cut out all this bull**** about testing and proving above the limit . When a person hunts or fishes without a permit his vehicle get confiscated whether it is still " owned " by a bank or not .

This should apply to intoxicated drivers as well .

Until then , sadly we will continue with similar tragedies

I dunno if stronger laws will do anything, if we don't seem to implement the ones we already have. Surely catching drunk drivers is like shooting fish in a barrel.

The barrel is any popular bar, and peak fishing time is friday night/sat early am.

Even when these guys do get caught, the eventual consequences are not enough of a deterrent. just searching for "drunk driver cyclist" in SA, it mostly goes to cases with very little jail time - and this is the worst(best?) case scenario

https://www.google.co.za/search?q=drunk+driver+hits+cyclists&rlz=1C1CHFX_enZA651ZA651&source=lnt&tbs=ctr:countryZA&cr=countryZA&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi8-ricgsHZAhWIasAKHfFhBRsQpwUIHw&biw=1280&bih=579

This is the kind of thing that makes me question if riding on the road is worth it. Accidents happen everywhere but ****...this is heartbreaking because nobody saw what actually happened and that **** of a driver is out there living his life.

We came in on HP and turned right into bottom entrance so that explains why we did not notice anything.

Am in two minds about fact that nothing was mentioned at start of B&D

To be fair to the orgainsers of the race , I doubt if they knew the severity of this accident at the time .

I also rode past whilst warming up , and the paramedics had everything under control .

There was a lot of blood , but they were certainly dealing with the situation efficiently .

RIP Nino .

Edited by Popit

So unnecessary. RIP Nino. I hope this useless excuse of a person gets caught and justice is served. I saw a picture of him with his family. Such a young happy family.