Modderfontein Bike Park - what's happening

I FLY

So glad to hear all the good news from Modderfontien. Used to be my go to trails, then everything went a bit pear shaped and I stopped riding there. But glad that has changed. Will give it a go when I am in GP again 

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, esCape-ist said:

So glad to hear all the good news from Modderfontien. Used to be my go to trails, then everything went a bit pear shaped and I stopped riding there. But glad that has changed. Will give it a go when I am in GP again 

Go Quickly Before the Rains Come

Buddy and I did the green route today. Quite enjoyed it. I particularly like the section through the old bunkers. Really cool. Single track could use some work - a few deep ruts that is just waiting for a pedal strike. But there is plenty of features to keep you interested. 

We did encounter a massive veld fire though. Had to keep an eye on it the whole time, luckily no incidents! New definition of fire road 

Edited by Hendel Clase

• 8 months later...

Loving the new bits at Modderfontien, really has made it much more fun to ride

As an aside, the birds are back at the creak, maybe the area should be closed for next while

• 4 months later...

Is the bird still at the creek? I have been avoiding that section, but it is one of the most fun parts of the trail, just want to wait till the bird is gone before riding it again

1 hour ago, Chadvdw67 said:

Is the bird still at the creek? I have been avoiding that section, but it is one of the most fun parts of the trail, just want to wait till the bird is gone before riding it again

Been gone these last 3 months - Only there during breeding season, which i think is sometime during May

We rode here on Saturday. It is the driest I have experienced. One small patch of mud and no water in the little rock depressions.

Weather forecast shows rains going to start again later this week.

Was there too this weekend. It is very dry but well maintained and looking good. 

There is a lot of activity in the reserve. Cars driving around, some piping being put in.  I wonder if there are building plans or changes coming? 

• 2 months later...

Any whatsapp groups that i can join for a ride at modders tomorrow and in future  ?

New in the area ( Sunninghill ) and want to ride some of the local stuff but not alone 

I'm a traily/enduroy type person :) ( i.e. not very fit ) 

Edited by BaGearA

On 12/22/2023 at 2:26 PM, BaGearA said:

Any whatsapp groups that i can join for a ride at modders tomorrow and in future  ?

New in the area ( Sunninghill ) and want to ride some of the local stuff but not alone 

I'm a traily/enduroy type person :) ( i.e. not very fit ) 

Ride there fairly often. Drop me a WhatsApp when you keen to go. Asidlale is also close for you

• 2 months later...

So once again the old gate is now closed due to construction - Really irritating for the guys riding from Falmingo Center now have to road it to the trail head to stand in a 40 min line to pay and ride.

Just when things really seem to be happening Taroko decide to mess it up. 

Come on Taroko make a plan here - If i'm gonna have to drive to your trail head all the time then i might as well go ride at Northern Farms or go ride with the DOCS in the Souf.

Edited by madmarc

Taroko is a tenant, M&T is developing their land, there is nice paved bike path that extends from Flamingo to the trail head.

If you are only paying in the 40 minute q now that the old gate is closed does this mean you weren't paying before and just skipping onto the trails?

Edited by Nakoota

20 hours ago, madmarc said:

So once again the old gate is now closed due to construction - Really irritating for the guys riding from Falmingo Center now have to road it to the trail head to stand in a 40 min line to pay and ride.

Just when things really seem to be happening Taroko decide to mess it up. 

Come on Taroko make a plan here - If i'm gonna have to drive to your trail head all the time then i might as well go ride at Northern Farms or go ride with the DOCS in the Souf.

You’ve seen the roadworks and developments in the area no? So it really is out of the hands of Taroko Trails as the property owners (NMT) have to close that gate. 

Coming from Flamingo Centre really makes no difference wether you use the main road or reserve road to ride on. In fact you can still ride along the reserve road most of the way and then at the gate go upto the road and straight into Taroko Farms. Personally have never waited 40min for to pay, if it’s an issue then maybe look at one of the season bands. 

18 hours ago, Nakoota said:

Taroko is a tenant, M&T is developing their land, there is nice paved bike path that extends from Flamingo to the trail head.

If you are only paying in the 40 minute q now that the old gate is closed does this mean you weren't paying before and just skipping onto the trails?

Of course there always be that one guy with incinuations, luckily you ended with a ? so i'll indulge your curiosity

I been riding Modders since its inception, in fact we rode there even before it became a trail park.

When the Trail head was developed these last couple of years the old gate was still an alternative entrance and used by many of us who rode in from Flamingo

And no we did not rogue ride for free we pay at the gate with cash / card and some or most riders have their annual pass bands that they have to show at the gate. 

My rant is more about the access being completly taken away.  

The very least they could do is keep an alternative entry even if its only for the Annual pass band holders.

I hope my explanantion has satisfied your curiosity and relieved your stress on the thought that there are non paying rogue riders on the trails

Edited by madmarc
Spelling