Tubeless on the road

Popit

18 hours ago, Andreas_187 said:

I keep repeating the same thing here.... Orange Seal is the only sealant that seems to work.

I patched a few small holes on my Pirelli tyre yesterday and loaded up with Orange Seal for the first time. Hoping to confirm your your results...

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So why do plugs not work on a road bike but on a car which I would imagine sends way more stresses through the tyre they hold forever ?

They always seem to break the seal when you're out of the saddle putting the power down. And its not like my scrawny tired old legs put down alot of power either.

I've got a tube in there at the moment, when I have the time and energy I may take the tyre off and try to patch from inside, or I'll ride it like that until I need a new tyre.

Just now, ouzo said:

So why do plugs not work on a road bike but on a car which I would imagine sends way more stresses through the tyre they hold forever ?

They always seem to break the seal when you're out of the saddle putting the power down. And its not like my scrawny tired old legs put down alot of power either.

I've got a tube in there at the moment, when I have the time and energy I may take the tyre off and try to patch from inside, or I'll ride it like that until I need a new tyre.

f=p.a

Car tyres are low pressure and the plug is low area so there not much force pushing it out

bicycle tyres are high pressure and the plug area is similar or slightly smaller than a car tyre plug hence the force o it is high,

there is less rubber to bind the plug-in a bicycle tyre.

plugs only work reliably if the pressure in the tyre is low enough.

1 minute ago, DieselnDust said:

f=p.a

Car tyres are low pressure and the plug is low area so there not much force pushing it out

bicycle tyres are high pressure and the plug area is similar or slightly smaller than a car tyre plug hence the force o it is high,

there is less rubber to bind the plug-in a bicycle tyre.

plugs only work reliably if the pressure in the tyre is low enough.

bloody irritating.  I thought I was sorted, but now there is 80ml of fresh Enduro Seal on Atals Rd.

Atleast the plug got me home last week Sunday when I picked up the puncture, so I guess it did its job.

Just now, ouzo said:

bloody irritating.  I thought I was sorted, but now there is 80ml of fresh Enduro Seal on Atals Rd.

Atleast the plug got me home last week Sunday when I picked up the puncture, so I guess it did its job.

When you do patch it make sure you use as large a patch as the tyre can accommodate and it must be quite thick or it will eventually rupture again. Ask me how I know this…😂

1 minute ago, DieselnDust said:

When you do patch it make sure you use as large a patch as the tyre can accommodate and it must be quite thick or it will eventually rupture again. Ask me how I know this…😂

Will do, thanks.

Biggest reason keeping me from patching is having to remove the old snot balls from the beads of the tyre before re-assembly. 

11 minutes ago, ouzo said:

I have been using Dynaplugs for 2 or 3 years on our road bikes with reasonably good success.
Especially on the roadside - they are usualy 'plug and bomb' quick.

Some have lasted really well, while others have required patching from the inside.
I used mushroom plugs for a while, but realise that that they deform the tyre because they are quite stiff. 'Normal' patch and glue on the inside seems to be better.

16 minutes ago, splat said:

I have been using Dynaplugs for 2 or 3 years on our road bikes with reasonably good success.
Especially on the roadside - they are usualy 'plug and bomb' quick.

Some have lasted really well, while others have required patching from the inside.
I used mushroom plugs for a while, but realise that that they deform the tyre because they are quite stiff. 'Normal' patch and glue on the inside seems to be better.

Dynaplug is probably the best plugging solution for a road tyre. Typical MTB plugging tools tear the tyre and enlarge the hole. I've modified a Weldtite plugger to do a better job or road tyre plugging and it seems to work well. It doesn't damage the tyre. The Stan's Dart tool is also really good but at nearly R100 a plug......#^%#sek

1 hour ago, ouzo said:

Will do, thanks.

Biggest reason keeping me from patching is having to remove the old snot balls from the beads of the tyre before re-assembly. 

You will probably take 1/2 kg off your bike.
Well worth the effort 🤣

I found that using a towel (not a clean one from the linen cupboard, mind you) works well in helping scrub & clean the tyre of the old sealant.

I keep telling you guys, I have used Orange Seal for 30,000km, I have never used a plug and it doesn't leave snot balls. Only once did a hole not seal and I used my spare tube. 

I'm in London at the moment and every single shop I have been in sells Orange Seal for road bikes

Given the ease of access to OrangeSeal here in Canada, I have changed both my road and mtb to OS. I never had issues with Stans actually (other than the snot balls), but I also have not had any issues with OS. I just find it easier to keep one type of sealant in my toolbox  

On 6/21/2022 at 10:22 AM, ouzo said:

On the road, that’a what it’s for, just plug, put just enough air to save your rims on the way home, then neatly patch it. Or you can use one of these quick adhesive patches that you can take in your pockets and patch it on the road side if you want to keep riding normal pressures for the rest of your ride. Just make sure you put a proper patch when you get home in any case. It a good opportunity to replace your sealant and check your valves are tight as well

Not a massive fan or plugs anymore since in most cases you make the hole a lot bigger when you apply it, causing more stress on the patch you will apply later.

Edited by Jbr

16 hours ago, Jbr said:

Just make sure you put a proper patch when you get home in any case.

What is considered "proper"?
I like maruni but they are scares these days.