Jonkershoek/Stellenbosch - Bike lane. Why not use it?

DoomedUser

Yesterday I passed 3 MTB'ers riding 2 abreast, with the 3rd trailing between them with his front wheel placed neatly between the 2 in front of him. They were happily chatting away, riding in the road towards the sharp bend on Malibongwe Drive towards the N7. I had 2 choices, make my presence known by hooting, or patiently waiting for them to go around the bend and then pass when it is safe to do so. I chose the latter. Before I even had to do anything though, the guy riding in the middle heard my whining turbo, and commented to his mates to move left in single file. I let them around the bend nonetheless, and gave them a thumbs up as I passed. They waved back.

You see, it IS possible to be courteous and not try mow everyone down. My wife will be first to admit that I have a aggro streak, and tend to get p'd off very quickly when driving. I am making a concerted effort to keep my bull-bar out of any driving incidents, and yesterday I learnt that being patient actually does make a difference.

But as for the OP, I do think that in the Jonkershoek corridor, it is a cycle/pedestrian path, and should be used as such. But also, as far as the car's are concerned, people driving up and down that road must also be willing to share the road with cyclists. 

Now, the issue comes when 3 different cyclists DON'T make any effort to get out of the way despite knowing you're there, patiently waiting for them.

Sharing is just that, sharing. Cars slowing down until the cyclists know they are there then make an effort to allow the car to pass safely. No one is saying they can't be on the road, but riding 2 abreast and holding people up without regard is a whole different kettle of fish.

That is not sharing. That is a terrible attitude of entitlement

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, totally agree.

In the context of the OP's question on the Hub only, and with the responses to it: do we take a first world champion and bring her down to our level or do we try to live up to hers? That is what I find most interesting just about the responses in this community.

It is exactly what you are saying - it's just easier to blame 'them'.

I was walking our pups just now. Back home on our dog route everyone let their dogs crap everywhere. I was one of them, shamefully. Now I get pissed when I see others have let it happen here cos they are the minority and I just pick theirs up too. I realise I was the ******** because I didn't hold up my little bit of the social contract.

(I know I am lucky to have the comparative view so I am not being holier than thou, and I know that lack of enforcement plays a massive role in the inability to reconstitute the culture in ZA, but you gotta start somewhere.)

I have a friend I run with and we have watched some lady let her dogs crap in marks park a few times and denied it when confronted. She denied it even though she never had bags to pick it up(said lady has multiple dogs and walks them daily). Anyway walking home from a drink in greenside we spotted her garden and the usual pack of dogs and my friend decided to drop trow and leave a gift on her driveway...

But this is typical behaviour here, not on my doorstep, not an issue...

Break the speed limits on all roads, but get angry when it is in your complex or outside your house or kids school.

Be disgusted about drunk kids running over cyclists at 4am, but is more than happy to let hubby drive home after 3 or 4 beers at a braai at 5pm.

Hates people littering but happy to let dog k@k in the park.

Cars must give 1,5m space, but bikes don't have to make any effort to not hinder cars too much.

common sense, common logic, common courtesy -very rare things these days- I think that maybe schools forgot to teach the meaning of common...

Now, the issue comes when 3 different cyclists DON'T make any effort to get out of the way despite knowing you're there, patiently waiting for them.

Sharing is just that, sharing. Cars slowing down until the cyclists know they are there then make an effort to allow the car to pass safely. No one is saying they can't be on the road, but riding 2 abreast and holding people up without regard is a whole different kettle of fish.

That is not sharing. That is a terrible attitude of entitlement

That is probably the main problem, people are not being considerate to one another. Both motorists and cyclists are guilty of this. Everyone must accept that we share the road, but making an effort to try and accommodate everyone is what is required. 

I have a friend I run with and we have watched some lady let her dogs crap in marks park a few times and denied it when confronted. She denied it even though she never had bags to pick it up(said lady has multiple dogs and walks them daily). Anyway walking home from a drink in greenside we spotted her garden and the usual pack of dogs and my friend decided to drop trow and leave a gift on her driveway...

But this is typical behaviour here, not on my doorstep, not an issue...

Break the speed limits on all roads, but get angry when it is in your complex or outside your house or kids school.

Be disgusted about drunk kids running over cyclists at 4am, but is more than happy to let hubby drive home after 3 or 4 beers at a braai at 5pm.

Hates people littering but happy to let dog k@k in the park.

Cars must give 1,5m space, but bikes don't have to make any effort to not hinder cars too much.

common sense, common logic, common courtesy -very rare things these days- I think that maybe schools forgot to teach the meaning of common...

Dave, did your friend leave a fresh stinky beer coil in her garden? If so, did he wash his hands in their water bowl?

Edited by Jewbacca

Off topic, but tying in with the dog owners not picking up after their animals.

I have a chap staying two houses from me, who allows his mangy mutt to roam free in our little cul de sac. As I do not have a fence out front, but having the only lawn, this mutt loves to come and do his deposits on my lawn (not even my own two dogs do that). I have spoken to the owner a few times, but I could see that I'm wasting my time.

What I did, was to collect his dogs droppings every day when I come home from work (got a poop scoop that I use to pick my dog's droppings in my back garden) and then go and put it in a nice pile in front of his small gate leading to his front door. He has to step over it to get to his front door.

The droppings on my front lawn has decreased quite a bit, but I still continue to take the droppings back to his house, every time I find it on my lawn.

Waiting for the day he takes me on about it.

And yes, this dog is the only dog that runs around in the street, all the other dogs are kept in their yards by the owners.

I have a chap staying two houses from me, who allows his mangy mutt to roam free in our little cul de sac. As I do not have a fence out front, but having the only lawn, this mutt loves to come and do his deposits on my lawn (not even my own two dogs do that). I have spoken to the owner a few times, but I could see that I'm wasting my time.

What I did, was to collect his dogs droppings every day when I come home from work (got a poop scoop that I use to pick my dog's droppings in my back garden) and then go and put it in a nice pile in front of his small gate leading to his front door. He has to step over it to get to his front door.

The droppings on my front lawn has decreased quite a bit, but I still continue to take the droppings back to his house, every time I find it on my lawn.

And yes, this dog is the only dog that runs around in the street, all the other dogs are kept in their yards by the owners.

Put it into a brown paper bag. Leave it on his front door, and set it on fire. Ring the bell. Run. 

Put it into a brown paper bag. Leave it on his front door, and set it on fire. Ring the bell. Run. 

this or tie the fuse of a big firecracker to the base of a sparkler, put the firecracker in the middle of a paper bag of dog sh!t with the sparkler top sticking out, insert into post box...

The slow burning sparkler should get you clear and safe...

Take your dogs out for a daily visit to his gate?

So a couple weeks ago my toppie and I are sitting on the grass verge on the beach at Melkbos. This elderly couple come walking past with their mutt (read poodle). Anyhow, they briefly stop right in front of us, and poochie decides to do its thing, and pushes a pie right there. So at that they decide to walk off, but auntie spies that my dad and I are keenly watching their shenanigans, and she stops dear old hubby, mutters something to him, and points in our general direction. He mutters something back to her, and they proceed to point at something afar off in the distance. She then departs with poochie in tow, and he starts looking for a way to deal with the offending pie. He eventually bends down and picks up a mussel shell, and turns to pick the pie up, but lo, it has disappeared. By this time, dad and myself are literally crying with laughter, and as he after, a few moments, figures out that we are in fact laughing at him, he stops, picks up his plakkie, and notices the offending turd neatly flattened under his foot. By this time, my dad and I are screaming with laughter. He casually jaunts over to us, mumbles that he is glad he could provide such great entertainment for us, and then wipes his shoe clean right there where we sat, before marching off rather indignantly.

I cannot remember a time in my life I have laughed so hard at someone else before.

I don't believe in karma, but on that occasion I came pretty close...

attachicon.gif20180405_095105.jpg

Dale and I tried out the pedestrian path.

Man, was it reckless. Coming in hot with our stealth machines, it was chaos out there.

You're on a MTB - why don't you ride on the gravel verge instead of the tar? 

Around my neck of the woods we have newly constructed cycle and pedestrian lanes that head towards Tokai. On my MTB I use the gravel track because its more fun, safer and further from the tar. I leave the demarcated tar cycle lane for the road bikes. Before the tracks were built I used to ride on the gravel at the road side most of the time.

If I see a runner or another cyclist approaching I simply go full enduro and take to the verge between the trees which lie between the tar and the gravel trail and rejoin after they have passed. I usually get an appreciative "thanks" from the person I have given free passage to. 

Pretty easy to do the same at Jonkers at least some of the way surely? 

You're on a MTB - why don't you ride on the gravel verge instead of the tar? 

Around my neck of the woods we have newly constructed cycle and pedestrian lanes that head towards Tokai. On my MTB I use the gravel track because its more fun, safer and further from the tar. I leave the demarcated tar cycle lane for the road bikes. Before the tracks were built I used to ride on the gravel at the road side most of the time.

If I see a runner or another cyclist approaching I simply go full enduro and take to the verge between the trees which lie between the tar and the gravel trail and rejoin after they have passed. I usually get an appreciative "thanks" from the person I have given free passage to. 

Pretty easy to do the same at Jonkers at least some of the way surely? 

I was riding along Spanschemaat this morning on the gravel path on my gravel grinder.  I came up behind 2 people walking their dogs and slowed to a stop before asking if i could pass.  I uncleated and waited so I could get past safely .  The elderly gentleman proceeded to give me an earful about how I was not allowed on the gravel path with my bike.   As far as I know, the gravel path is a bike and pedestrian path - there is nothing saying bicycles are not allowed on that path.  I don't understand why we cannot all be civil and share the spaces equally.

I was riding along Spanschemaat this morning on the gravel path on my gravel grinder.  I came up behind 2 people walking their dogs and slowed to a stop before asking if i could pass.  I uncleated and waited so I could get past safely .  The elderly gentleman proceeded to give me an earful about how I was not allowed on the gravel path with my bike.   As far as I know, the gravel path is a bike and pedestrian path - there is nothing saying bicycles are not allowed on that path.  I don't understand why we cannot all be civil and share the spaces equally.

Agree 100%.