The "I need something you might throw away" thread

Kalahari Vegmot

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking for a trigger shifter for my daughter bike so I can replace that aweful revo shift.

6 speed Shimano.

Willing to part with cash for it.

12 hours ago, ouzo said:

I'm looking for a trigger shifter for my daughter bike so I can replace that aweful revo shift.

6 speed Shimano.

I bought one from Marks Workshop few weeks back.  He had one more in stock.

Hope you get something closer to home.

Smaller gears works perfectly.  Shifting up to the last two large gears were a bit tough for a kid.  Down shifting was by pushing a blue botton amd super easy.

12 hours ago, ouzo said:

6 speed Shimano.

where are you based ? 

On 1/21/2022 at 9:15 AM, EddieV said:

Looking for 3 of these ..... Hinged Water Bottle Cage Clamps 28.6mm

Have a classic steel framed bike and lost the original water bottle clamps.

The frame does not have cage threads. 

Anyone know where in SA I can purchase these hinged clamps?

Currently hacking it ... but the coffee shop guys don't think much of it  :)

I have been quite successful with a drill/dremel and a handful of rivnuts.

- A repair-oriented bike shop should have rivnuts for you for a few rond

- dremel/drill 7mm hole in the tube

- use an old hub and skewer to install the rivnut (thread the nut onto the skewer, use the lever to seat it in the hole - like a rivet gun)

The tricky part is making sure they are straight. My method is to use the dremel to mark the tube, check alignment, small 3mm drill using the dremel mark, check alignment again, then a 7mm hole. 

I'm looking for a 10 speed Shimano shifter (MTB) for my son's bike, currently using a 10 speed XT derailleur with a 9 speed SLX shifter, which works, but skips the 2nd to top and goes straight to the top.  Lots of left hand shifters available on the classifieds, rights, nothing...

Willing to pay.

On 2/7/2022 at 8:28 AM, ouzo said:

6 speed Shimano.

I replaced the RevoShift on my sons bike with a Sunrace 7 Speed shiter. Was R210 if I recall.

You can buy a MicroShift from Decathlon for R170 - https://www.decathlon.co.za/transmission/311712-11045-7-speed-derailleur-shifter.html?utm_source=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.decathlon.co.za%2F&utm_medium=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.decathlon.co.za%2F&utm_campaign=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.decathlon.co.za%2F&sfdr_ptcid=35079_617_671137679&sfdr_hash=1fd9418eef4fcbe91bc74121f255b46c&gclid=CjwKCAiA6Y2QBhAtEiwAGHybPXT03pn7kae8wcTn2htjE3P8pToA7okYIl4US9DGdgPMdq2UxqSpLhoCE0YQAvD_BwE#/9274-demodelundefined-8555779/155-demodelsize-254no_size

1 minute ago, ouzo said:

Thanks, will take a look at this.

Also saw some possible "fixes" on the net for the revoshift, will try them out first.

I gave up on the fixes. There are too many friction areas in the design.

25 minutes ago, Rolf Hansen said:

I gave up on the fixes. There are too many friction areas in the design.

hence the fixes in inverted commas, I am doubtful they will work, but I do need to give them a try

6 minutes ago, ouzo said:

hence the fixes in inverted commas, I am doubtful they will work, but I do need to give them a try

I understand. This is also how I know the fixes don't work. 😁

looking for a cottered double crankset (1970s) with axle and english thread BB cups in decent condition 

restoring a not so fancy DHC to its original state 

willing to contribute beer/blended whiskey money plus postage 

also need some other 70s entry level bits ie huret derailleurs /weinmann brake levers if you have such things in the box under the bench 

thnx

5 hours ago, ouzo said:

Life is tooooo short to try and fix a grip shift .....😋

10 hours ago, Stretched@Birth said:

I'm looking for a 10 speed Shimano shifter (MTB) for my son's bike, currently using a 10 speed XT derailleur with a 9 speed SLX shifter, which works, but skips the 2nd to top and goes straight to the top.  Lots of left hand shifters available on the classifieds, rights, nothing...

Willing to pay.

What cassette are you using? The 9 and 10 speed derailleurs use different lever ratios unfortunately.

If running 9 SPD cassette, you can use a 10 SPD Shimano rear derailleur if you use a SRAM 9 SPD shifter.

Otherwise you will have to match Shimano 9 or 10 SPD derailleurs to their correct shifter and cassette count.