Trying to give up or cut down on Sugar intake

Bonus

This, and a few other, threads got me thinking about the sweeteners I use in my coffee .....  was already down to a SMALL quantity.

For the last few days I have used no sweetener in my coffee.  Getting used to the new taste ...

Thus now only a bit in my breakfast.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Progress has been good thanks.

My initial plan was to quickly and dramatically cut down on my sugar intake because it was mentally high.

This I achieved by stopping drinking fizzy drinks, stop putting sugar on or in everything and stopping eating mountains of sweets, cakes and biscuits.

Now I'm nearly 2kg down and I'm quite used to tea and coffee etc without sugar.

Stage two would be to take this further by cutting out more sugars - the sugars that are in just about everything we buy and eat.

As a side project I'm also trying, mostly successfully, to not simply replace sugar snacks with high fat/oil savoury snacks.

It's not easy but it is rewarding to be getting there.

Progress has been good thanks.

<snip?

It's not easy but it is rewarding to be getting there.

slowly slowly catchee monkey... good job. 

• 1 month later...

This, and a few other, threads got me thinking about the sweeteners I use in my coffee .....  was already down to a SMALL quantity.

For the last few days I have used no sweetener in my coffee.  Getting used to the new taste ...

Thus now only a bit in my breakfast.

Now used to coffee and tea without any sugar or sweetener....

using less and less sweetener in my porridge ....

Two months in and I seem to be in a good routine. Sugar intake is well down and I'm feeling good.

I occasionally "break my own rules" but very very rarely.

Breaking your rules is fine. Just make sure that it's worth it... "yes" to an awesome piece of cheesecake, but "no" to a Lunchbar...

nice going!

• 1 month later...

Nearly 4 months in and I seem to have settled into a nice routine now.

The first cup of tea I drink in the morning needs to have half a sugar in it but for the rest of the day I have tea / coffee without sugar, and I probably only have one or two cups a day after my "breakfast tea" anyway. (not working in an office helps with this a lot - used to go make a drink when I got bored)

Sweets are now an occasional treat and I've managed not to replace them with any other type of "junk" food. I did stray towards salty stuff for a while but I've reigned that in too.

Occasionally on a hot day I have a glass of Fanta orange. I've barely had a glass of coke for months. Sadly "fruit juices" can be as sugary as fizzy cooldrinks. Always read the label! 

I only ride with water nowadays - used to ride with power drinks. . . . .

:-)

The first cup of tea I drink in the morning needs to have half a sugar in it but for the rest of the day I have tea / coffee without sugar, and I probably only have one or two cups a day after my "breakfast tea" anyway. (not working in an office helps with this a lot - used to go make a drink when I got bored)

Sweets are now an occasional treat and I've managed not to replace them with any other type of "junk" food. I did stray towards salty stuff for a while but I've reigned that in too.

Occasionally on a hot day I have a glass of Fanta orange. I've barely had a glass of coke for months. Sadly "fruit juices" can be as sugary as fizzy cooldrinks. Always read the label!

Also gave up adding sugar or sweetener to my coffee, not quite sure why I did but just decided to do it a couple of months ago. Have to say I still have not got used to the unsweetened taste.

On really hot days after training I will drink some coke and low sugar choc milk. I like to leave the coke in the freezer till it turns to slush and drink it like that.

Today I had a coffee while watching the AB massacre the Ozzie’s and added some amarula and honey, first time I put the honey in my coffee for many years.

I don’t think I could give up sugary stuff 100% ever

But I do try cut down on it.

Well done and good luck with you quest Bonus ????

Edit:

Maybe I should do the same this afternoon for the boks game against the argies? Honey and amarula that is....

Edited by SwissVan

The first cup of tea I drink in the morning needs to have half a sugar in it but for the rest of the day I have tea / coffee without sugar, and I probably only have one or two cups a day after my "breakfast tea" anyway. (not working in an office helps with this a lot - used to go make a drink when I got bored)

Occasionally on a hot day I have a glass of Fanta orange. I've barely had a glass of coke for months. Sadly "fruit juices" can be as sugary as fizzy cooldrinks. Always read the label!

Is Coke bad? Even worse than Fanta?

Is Coke bad? Even worse than Fanta?

Sugar-wise I suspect it's a tie. But I've not heard of anyone using Fanta to loosen rusted-on bolts or clean contaminated metal objects . . . . So possibly not quite as bad for you :-)

Back on topic - off sugar. :thumbup:

There is now also a "Fanta Zero".  Personally I prefer Sprite Zero, from this range.

Be aware of those zero's they are not so good for you.

Many of the substitutes are bad news.

I’m not a fan of Aspartame.

The research is still very conflicting around this, but I rather try and stay away...

A little story that kind of backs up your statement:

I like my chocolate, and usually Friday evening is my chocolate day..... I normally buy a big slab and finish it in short time. One day I got clever and bought a slab of artificially sweetened chocolate, later that evening I had terrible stomach cramps and a very upset stomach. A few weeks later I tried a different brand of artificially sweetened chocolate.... same result, terrible stomach cramps and upset tummy.

I suspect that the large dose in short space of time of whatever sweetener they use caused these cramps.

So ja, they are definetly bad for me

Edited by SwissVan

JIP !

replacing one poison with another is probably not the long term answer .....

so I certainly keep the quantities very low.