Trying to give up or cut down on Sugar intake

Bonus

The whole LCHF thing is nothing new, just made popular by a dr in the cape, Antarctic expeditions have been doing it for nearly a century and they not the only ones. Go read about those early glory days, Scott's party's staple food was pemmican...

One thing that has popped up a few times in this thread is the fear of Diabetes, yes you can do as much as you can to avoid it and be healthy. We just need to take a moment to consider those who have it, it can't be fun for those living with it reading how scary and bad it is on threads over and over.

I have a few friends with type 1 diabetes and they both absolute machines, one day when I am big I want to race as hard as they do. So bear them in mind before shaming it and know that it is tough, but you can still race hard with it. Huge respect for those living with it and keeping healthy and active :thumbup:

There is even a pro team all diabetic who race hard https://www.teamnovonordisk.com/teams/pro-team so having diabetes or dealing with it should not detract from your enjoyment of cycling whether a weekend warrior or racing snake!

Some inspirational tips and clips https://www.teamnovonordisk.com/sports-diabetes/racing-tips/

Edited by shaper

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

36 hours in and I have avoided all the main culprits - Sweets, Chocolate, White Sugar and Fizzy Drinks.

So far so good and not feeling like I'm suffering particularly yet. Biggest thing I missed was a biscuits when I got home from work yesterday eve - but I distracted myself with work around the garden and mowing the lawn till supper time.

I might need to find something healthy I can "go to" when I get in from work. . . .

Sparkling water?

.... if you want to get an upset stomach.

Not Hulk stomach...Yes maybe only slightly for the 1st few times using it. Only drawback is it is expensive, but it is considered to be a very healthy option.

Not Hulk stomach...Yes maybe only slightly for the 1st few times using it. Only drawback is it is expensive, but it is considered to be a very healthy option.

I'm always very wary of sugar substitutions, especially now that they are finding out how harmful stuff like aspartame is. Why not bite the bullet, cut out the sweet stuff and let the palate re-adjust. Much better that way and less likely to go back to eating sweets than if you just replace one item with a lesser evil. 

Peanuts, biltong, cottage cheese, cheese, greek yogurt, olives....

True.

But they are also quite calorie heavy so in moderation.

I'm always very wary of sugar substitutions, especially now that they are finding out how harmful stuff like aspartame is. Why not bite the bullet, cut out the sweet stuff and let the palate re-adjust. Much better that way and less likely to go back to eating sweets than if you just replace one item with a lesser evil. 

Agreed. Don't artificial sweeteners just prolong the addiction?