Trying to give up or cut down on Sugar intake

Bonus

No Dale that was me years ago. I managed to outtrain my bad diet for 15 years but when I stopped cycling I did not stop my bad diet. Good genes apart I have the fatty liver now plus the most persistant layer of fat around my chest.

Ja nee

Pity you had to stop rolling, Johan_Kleynhans  :blink:

Regular exercise, decent diet, a good stress management plan and meaningful friendships is the power move for one's life, I reckon.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 days in and I'm feeling as flat as a pancake!

I'm still getting sugar via normal food but man, I have no energy whatsoever. It's been a slow dull weekend :-(

Try supplimenting with whey protein, buy the powder and make up a drink/shake. Try having one in the morning and another in the evening, incorporate into a smoothie or drink on its own. As you body is getting less energy from reduced carbs and sugar, whey protein has amino acids that is good for the muscles

I'll pick some up tomorrow and give it a try. Certainly need something to perk up the energy levels a bit!

10 days in and starting to enjoy this!

Milky coffee without sugar is starting to taste sweet now and I seem to have lost a kg this week.

I gooi cream with my cuppa coffee

It’ll rock your boat

Try it

Delicious ????

And then... when you've found your truth... live it, whether it's eating vegan, or even eating vegans :whistling: ...

No! Thats bad advice. Don't do that, you will only grow a parra...

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

It's been a good couple of weeks. I'm feeling better and the weight I initially lost seems to have stayed off (weight lose is a happy side effect, it was not a motive)

Yesterday we had to drive through to our nearest big town to do some admin and there's a shop there that happens to sell Fanta Grape, which you can't generally get here. I bought a bottle as a treat and I'll ration it appropriately.

I haven't had a craving for Coke at all - and I was drinking a liter and a half a day before I started this mission to cut down.

So I initially went cold turkey 2016 October. In 6 months I lost 34kg by just riding daily 5-10km and no sugar. 

I was completely anal on taking in no sugar. I have over the past year reintroduced sugar slowly but I rather than having a whole box of cookies I take 2 and close the cupboard cause in general I am to lazy to walk back to the cupboard to fetch more.

The golden rule is to when provided with a choice take the healthier option instead. You wont always have a choice but when you can choose between a green salad with your steak or potato salad the healthier choice would be the green salad. 

That's what I do at the moment and it works for me. 

Ps. Well done on the commitment. I have been there and its a long journey but well worth it

Edited by MTB-More

I find that an empty cookie cupboard does help to curb the temptations.

I started buying those 750g Safari peanut and raisins bags for R55 and started going through 2 of them a week, so I quit that for a while.

Don't try to stock up on droeewors either - that stuff is more addictive that hardcore drugs.

I go through phases where I get crazy urges for something sweet or crunchy later at night.

I found that green tea has helped me a bit.

The other night I just couldn't go any longer and had nothing sweet, so I made myself a bowl of pronutro 

I find that an empty cookie cupboard does help to curb the temptations.

I started buying those 750g Safari peanut and raisins bags for R55 and started going through 2 of them a week, so I quit that for a while.

Don't try to stock up on droeewors either - that stuff is more addictive that hardcore drugs.

I go through phases where I get crazy urges for something sweet or crunchy later at night.

I found that green tea has helped me a bit.

The other night I just couldn't go any longer and had nothing sweet, so I made myself a bowl of pronutro

Watch those peanuts.. carb content is very high... and they are not even nuts really... legumes actually.

Hidden carbs everywhere... read labels...

I have been noticing that a lot of droe wors seems to have msg in lately - kind of explains the problem of wanting to keep eating it even when you know you are not hungry.

Edited by V12man

It's been a good couple of weeks. I'm feeling better and the weight I initially lost seems to have stayed off (weight lose is a happy side effect, it was not a motive)

Yesterday we had to drive through to our nearest big town to do some admin and there's a shop there that happens to sell Fanta Grape, which you can't generally get here. I bought a bottle as a treat and I'll ration it appropriately.

I haven't had a craving for Coke at all - and I was drinking a liter and a half a day before I started this mission to cut down.

A litre and a half of coke every day...**** no wonder you having cold turkey

That's crazy

Cut out fizzy drinks completely

I have not used sugar in 20 or more years  only Canderel in anything i wanted to sweeten . Since i started cycling 10 months ago i substituted with natural raw honey . It does not sweeten the drink or food but im sure it is a better option than Canderel and sugar . I eat 3 fruits a day and get my sugar from them .I have lost 30 kg in the 10 months so i must be doing something right . 

A litre and a half of coke every day...**** no wonder you having cold turkey

That's crazy

Cut out fizzy drinks completely

Fizzy drinks are off the menu, as is white sugar on anything, and sweets & biscuits.

:-)

• 2 weeks later...

Fizzy drinks are off the menu, as is white sugar on anything, and sweets & biscuits.

:-)

Just checking on your progress? Why cut only white sugar? Sugar is sugar!