Karoo to Coast

Marichen

i also moaned about this to Racetec, its a joke.

Racing shmacing. I do pay my PPA membership as I tend to take part in a lot of their events. But yeah, there are proper threads for the world VS CSA.

Registration for me was easy as always, not too many people at the A table. Kinda wonder how many people are going to throw away their number boards and get a new one next time? My board is pretty much cover in race stickers by now. 

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer number boards, but still ride with a chip on each of my bikes. Over the years it started to bother me that we use number boards once. Cable ties also irks me so I stopped using them, I have two short pieces of electrical wire that I re-use to attach various number board to my bike. 

Plus, adding more and more race stickers to my board makes me look like a seriously kwaai MTB'er   :whistling:

What, terrible water tables? Never stopped at one so I won't know...

For now, my body still precludes me from doing the race again in '19, but I am sure that will change again somewhere between now and entry opening again.

I am now focusing my attention on CTCT '19, and will train accordingly. 

That, and a serious dose of single track for the next few months. No more long distance gravel travels.

As for the water tables, I gulped copious amounts of Coke, most of which was thankfully cold. This meant I had enough in my camelbak for those blooming long hills, of which half way up Buffelsneck I had had enough of. For now, I am over climbing, and will prefer descending...

As for food, I have long since figured to take my own, but then I am a very fussy eater, en eet nie sommer enigeiets nie.

Great race, started in A batch with what felt like a 1000 other A batch riders. That first few km on the tar section was scary. Ou wapad quickly sorted out the riders and from there on it was great. Managed 4:12 with a bit left in the tank. Will definitely aim for sub 4 next year.

Thing that bothers me is the lack of umbrellas and tables at the finish, they know there are 5000 riders then they put out 20 umbrellas and tables at the finish line every year, w8ing 3 hours in the blazing sun for my dad to arrive after klapping a sub 4 was not nice for us, or my wife and baby, or for the other spectators. Might sound stupid but after my 5th one its kinda annoying that we can never just sit at a leke table with a couple of beers

Thing that bothers me is the lack of umbrellas and tables at the finish, they know there are 5000 riders then they put out 20 umbrellas and tables at the finish line every year, w8ing 3 hours in the blazing sun for my dad to arrive after klapping a sub 4 was not nice for us, or my wife and baby, or for the other spectators. Might sound stupid but after my 5th one its kinda annoying that we can never just sit at a leke table with a couple of beers

Spyker op die kop geslaan

The race was ok, I only stopped once to fill a water bottle and it went very quickly.

There was not much of a vibe along the road .. only a Microlight Trike that made some noise and a few "Hou bene hou" calls from the local kids.

But, then again, we are not Tour de France riders so maybe I am expecting too much :)

Oh yes... The Q at the beer tent was super slow.

I will be back. 

How many tables should/could they put out?  Maybe next year make a note to take your own umbrella and have a lekker picnic on the grass.  Just a thought....

The race was ok, I only stopped once to fill a water bottle and it went very quickly.

There was not much of a vibe along the road .. only a Microlight Trike that made some noise and a few "Hou bene hou" calls from the local kids.

But, then again, we are not Tour de France riders so maybe I am expecting too much :)

Oh yes... The Q at the beer tent was super slow.

I will be back.

We must have been sharing the same piece of road then, as that annoying trike can be glad we were cycling, and not hunting...

How many tables should/could they put out?  Maybe next year make a note to take your own umbrella and have a lekker picnic on the grass.  Just a thought....

And where on your bike would you put that umbrella?  :P

Think it is very constructive criticism from Nevermore, cannot be that expensive for organisers to add more tables & shade on the field. Like he said literally about 20 tables that were filled very quickly

I have to agree... Water tables was terrible. I have done a few races and seriously, they could have done better.

They are WATER TABLES, in case you need water. Really on 95km gravel ride do you even need one or more?

The next day we did a significantly more challenging 90 ish ride to George for breakfast, there were no water tables and we were fine so I don't get the need for having all these lunch points with smorgasbords for you to feast on.

Get on your bike and ride from start to finish. If that is an issue train more. I am 20+kg overweight and I manage, so anyone should be able to.

Don't get me started on dumbing down the few challenges there used to be on this ride like the wapad up and down, they are highways now. 

They are WATER TABLES, in case you need water. Really on 95km gravel ride do you even need one or more?

The next day we did a significantly more challenging 90 ish ride to George for breakfast, there were no water tables and we were fine so I don't get the need for having all these lunch points with smorgasbords for you to feast on.

Get on your bike and ride from start to finish. If that is an issue train more. I am 20+kg overweight and I manage, so anyone should be able to.

Don't get me started on dumbing down the few challenges there used to be on this ride like the wapad up and down, they are highways now.

I have to agree with you

The amount of water stops food and crap put out at rides now is ridiculous

Reminds me of Billy Connelly....Eat at Home.

Yoh, Hard Man! Those people doing 6 hours with 2 bottles will really appreciate your views. Theoretically you should then be able to finish within the top 20 being so hard and never stopping for food and drink, carrying all your spare food and water on your body?