Is selling on the classifieds becoming more difficult?

M L

South African Economic Times   

384 members have voted

1. 1. Are you finding it increasingly difficult to sell things on the classifieds?

• I sell things quickly and easily - it seems people have money
    • I sell things fairly quickly
    • I find it rather difficult to sell things - I struggle to sell and get low ball offers

I buy and sell on a number of FB Classified groups.Musical instruments and Photographic gear and its great.They are strictly moderated and there is no mucking about.

I will stick to The Hub for bikes as I have great success here both buying and selling since I first joined in 2006.

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

when after a month a seller does not respond to numerous requests to if the item it is still available and as to the BCD of the chainring, then seeing the same advert facebook, also asking the same questions here and then still not getting a reply 

then ending rather going Woodstock Cycle Works and finding 2 x chainrings for nearly the same price as that which was advertised on the hub's classifieds.

Still so many "is it still available" and then nothing once you've confirmed that it is.

Communicating your intentions really isn't that difficult.

Still so many "is it still available" and then nothing once you've confirmed that it is.

Communicating your intentions really isn't that difficult.

Also still get a lot of those.... frustrating as hell !!

• 1 month later...

A few weeks ago, I contacted a seller regarding a bike on the classifieds for a very decent price. I was busy making arrangements for a viewing, when he informed that he's changed his mind and decided to rather keep the bike. This was a disappointment, but understandable.

A week later, the exact same bike is listed by a certain second hand shop who regularly posts on the classifieds, for R 9k more than the initial asking price.

I honestly don't have a problem that he's decided to sell to someone else instead of me - this happens. What bothers me is that he lied about keeping it, and then sold it to a middleman who will make a profit from the sale.

I have been selling smalls as of late to clear up space and to be able to visit Jewie soon ... the amount of people that say, hold it for me I am coming tomorrow, and then a day or two later come back and say they are no longer interested is astounding.

Recon from now on I will not "hold" anything anymore on the advert.....will tell prospective buyers I have an interested party with first option and then let the first person know to hustle or loose out.

A few weeks ago, I contacted a seller regarding a bike on the classifieds for a very decent price. I was busy making arrangements for a viewing, when he informed that he's changed his mind and decided to rather keep the bike. This was a disappointment, but understandable.

A week later, the exact same bike is listed by a certain second hand shop who regularly posts on the classifieds, for R 9k more than the initial asking price.

I honestly don't have a problem that he's decided to sell to someone else instead of me - this happens. What bothers me is that he lied about keeping it, and then sold it to a middleman who will make a profit from the sale.

the second hand shops that buy here and resell again irk me!

And the flipside of that is just as frustrating. There are a pair of Jawbreakers for sale, which I really would like to buy. Been trying to get a hold of the seller since Monday, the 17th. No response. Nada.

I have been selling smalls as of late to clear up space and to be able to visit Jewie soon ... the amount of people that say, hold it for me I am coming tomorrow, and then a day or two later come back and say they are no longer interested is astounding.

Recon from now on I will not "hold" anything anymore on the advert.....will tell prospective buyers I have an interested party with first option and then let the first person know to hustle or loose out.

Recently had someone really low ball me with a price and in the same sentence ask if i could assist with other parts to help him out.  Now why would anyone think you would assist them further when they want to really low ball you on what is already a fair price?  Is not as if am new to buying and selling here as been doing it for many years so know what is a fair price when selling.

I'm at the point now where I tell anyone who says they're taking it that cash is king. First one with money in my hand or account will take it home.

Normally, they're quite happy to just etf and collect or take delivery whenever suits them, and that suits me just fine.

Can sell brand new with 12spd XT.... Depends on you ;)

.... You're also riding bloody sram ya hypocrite :D :D

Hahaha no, I'm laughing at the spelling you chop. I'm a big Sram fanboy.