Is selling on the classifieds becoming more difficult?

M L

South African Economic Times   

384 members have voted

1. 1. Are you finding it increasingly difficult to sell things on the classifieds?

• I sell things quickly and easily - it seems people have money
    • I sell things fairly quickly
    • I find it rather difficult to sell things - I struggle to sell and get low ball offers

It will be a hell of a lot more difficult now seeing as people cannot actually buy and collect.

See ads going up, not sure what the sellers are expecting will happen with those ads.......

A "HUBBER" responded to one of my Adverts first by PM, (to which I was Not Aware).

I then received a SMS informing me of his Interest.

So I Proceeded to call him up, around 22H00. (I Can't let a fellow man suffer).

The "HUBBER" made a instant EFT, SO i cruised over to His place.

30 minutes tops and the"HUBBER" had his Goods.

Everyone was Happy.

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So noticed the like Pinned ads ( not sure what their name is ) have slowly disappeared over the last few days 

so is it that people willing to pay for top spots realise that good won't sell unless the the seller is willing to wait for atleast 21 days or possibly longer 

its gona suck if people buy stuff now and our restrictions only get slightly lifted forcing some people to still work from home and they might want their money back after x amount of time , and due to everyone that's going to feel this financially in the future either party might not want to give the money "back"

interesting ..

So noticed the like Pinned ads ( not sure what their name is ) have slowly disappeared over the last few days

so is it that people willing to pay for top spots realise that good won't sell unless the the seller is willing to wait for atleast 21 days or possibly longer

its gona suck if people buy stuff now and our restrictions only get slightly lifted forcing some people to still work from home and they might want their money back after x amount of time , and due to everyone that's going to feel this financially in the future either party might not want to give the money "back"

interesting ..

I've got a buch of items I have been wanting to sell but just have not gotten around to it. My project for next weekend will be cleaning, taking photos, and creating ads. My ads will all say that you can dibs the item with a R100 deposit - but I will not be receiving full payment until after lock down for exactly the reason you have pointed out - I think many people will realise after a few weeks of no work that they don't have the cash available for cycling kit and I don't want to have to redund anyone or be in the situation where I have maybe spent (in my mind) that money on some goodies I have been eyeing.

I don't think pinning ads now makes much sense too - everyone shopping in the classifieds now has plenty of time to sift through all the ads...

I've got a buch of items I have been wanting to sell but just have not gotten around to it. My project for next weekend will be cleaning, taking photos, and creating ads. My ads will all say that you can dibs the item with a R100 deposit - but I will not be receiving full payment until after lock down for exactly the reason you have pointed out - I think many people will realise after a few weeks of no work that they don't have the cash available for cycling kit and I don't want to have to redund anyone or be in the situation where I have maybe spent (in my mind) that money on some goodies I have been eyeing.

I don't think pinning ads now makes much sense too - everyone shopping in the classifieds now has plenty of time to sift through all the ads...

I'll be doing much of the same have tons of stuff I need to get rid of but I'll probably not post the ads just get them ready to take the classifieds by storm on release day :D

I stopped my online sales for now.

Dont want the hassles, nor bank charges, of refunding people if this drags out too long ....

Saying this while I agreed to wait for stock from another supplier ... they contacted me early, and gave me options .... due to their approach I opted for delivery after the lock down. Informed buyer = happy client ...

• 2 weeks later...

Classified is getting busy again.

I don't know if its in preparation (and hope) of the lock down being lifted next week, or just trying to get some cash flow.

Classified is getting busy again.

I don't know if its in preparation (and hope) of the lock down being lifted next week, or just trying to get some cash flow.

Probably cashflow.

Also getting stuff sold while people may have some disposable income left.

See even one of the big 2nd hand dealers is running a "make an offer" thingie. Some serious lowballing going on with no info on when they actually accept the offer. Is it an auction with a cut off time???

Probably cashflow.

Also getting stuff sold while people may have some disposable income left.

See even one of the big 2nd hand dealers is running a "make an offer" thingie. Some serious lowballing going on with no info on when they actually accept the offer. Is it an auction with a cut off time???

I see there are reserves on their bikes...so too lowball of an offer won't go.

The wishing well thread is Low Baller's heaven  :clap:

All the one post wonders have come out of the woodwork.

I suppose it was actually invited and is being well handled.

And if you don't ask, you don't get. At worst, you get no reply.

interesting ..

so surprisingly while waiting for the last of my ads to expire i was actually contacted and sold two items , buyers are awaiting the lift before we'll arrange collection and will figure something out if either party comes into contact 

That cyclelab thread was probably just created cause the "cwc' one had so many people calling them out on their BS , so someone thought up another tactic to approach it ....but jusss it's just become A glorified public negotiating cesspool 

I'll be putting up a few more ads since i've discovered some items while cleaning , obviously like my other two sales I'll make the buyers agree to the same terms 

some very real bargains floating around  :ph34r:

• 3 weeks later...

This is probably not the right place, but it is a difficulty buying during lockdown...so here goes...

I made a deposit for a kids bike for my 18month old, problem is I can't get a hold if it because of lockdown. Are courier companies allowed to go and fetch it for me on the level4 lockdown?

Edited by Jako De Wet

Are courier companies allowed to go and fetch it for me on the level4 lockdown?

also want to know this??

This is probably not the right place, but it is a difficulty buying during lockdown...so here goes...

I made a deposit for a kids bike from my 18month old, problem is I can't get a hold if it because of lockdown. Are courier companies allowed to go and fetch it for me on the level4 lockdown?

Is it from a store or privately bought?

Everyone is still waiting for clarity on whether stores selling fitness equipment may operate in level 4.

Bought it from another Hubber

Is it from a store or privately bought?

Everyone is still waiting for clarity on whether stores selling fitness equipment may operate in level 4.

I am waiting for the courier companies to be allowed to deliver non-essential items before I close a sale on a Classifieds item.

The current official answer from Aramex is that they are allowed to collect from Main Centres and may only deliver essential items. But this may change depending on the final regulations of Stage 4 Lockdown.

You can probably try your luck and label you package contents as something on the official essentials list. But you risk them still opening it to double check.

Something big like a kids bike will be difficult to justify, but a set of gloves can maybe be labelled as "Safety Gloves".