Is selling on the classifieds becoming more difficult?

M L

South African Economic Times   

384 members have voted

1. 1. Are you finding it increasingly difficult to sell things on the classifieds?

• I sell things quickly and easily - it seems people have money
    • I sell things fairly quickly
    • I find it rather difficult to sell things - I struggle to sell and get low ball offers

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Recently had someone really low ball me with a price and in the same sentence ask if i could assist with other parts to help him out.  Now why would anyone think you would assist them further when they want to really low ball you on what is already a fair price?  Is not as if am new to buying and selling here as been doing it for many years so know what is a fair price when selling.

So the other day a guy sends me a message with no introduction, nothing.

He just offers to buy my item for sale at less than half of what I'm asking - CASH!!

So instead of telling him where to shove it, I go check out his profile and see he's got a bike up for sale. So, naturally, I make him an "offer" on his bike.

Only difference is that this dude did not seem to take too lightly at being low-balled, but perfectly happy to try low-ball me  :thumbdown:

So the other day a guy sends me a message with no introduction, nothing.

He just offers to buy my item for sale at less than half of what I'm asking - CASH!!

So instead of telling him where to shove it, I go check out his profile and see he's got a bike up for sale. So, naturally, I make him an "offer" on his bike.

Only difference is that this dude did not seem to take too lightly at being low-balled, but perfectly happy to try low-ball me  :thumbdown:

Brilliant.

People just have no idea on how negotiation works unfortunately.

Yes, you may factor in  some wiggle room when posting but if they don't even have the decency to come and look at the item then I just ignore them.

I've had two incidents lately on bikehub where people have advertised their bikes at a price and I've made the first offer at said price and then both have delayed and got back to me later saying they've been offered higher prices and given the higher price to possibly match. That doesn't sit well with me at all, make your price and take the first offer with the money or put no price in and make it an auction to the highest bidder.

I've had two incidents lately on bikehub where people have advertised their bikes at a price and I've made the first offer at said price and then both have delayed and got back to me later saying they've been offered higher prices and given the higher price to possibly match. That doesn't sit well with me at all, make your price and take the first offer with the money or put no price in and make it an auction to the highest bidder.

wonder what the logistics would be to have a auction function in the classifieds ... that could be fun!

Come to think of it, people offering higher prices to secure an item in their favour doesn't sit well with me either because there will always be someone with more money than the next person. It effectively takes away all opportunity of securing a good bargain and we all know how enjoyable that can be ^_^

Karma will pay them a visit sooner or later.

Been wondering about some of the prices ....  :wacko:

Some items are advertised for more than you can buy a new one on special ...  :eek:   Or 90% of the typical price .... WHY would I pay full price for something without a warantee ....

Then I see the price of some second hand bikes.  The 2018 Scott Spark RC was not a cheap bike, even on specials these cost a pretty penny.  Then you see one in the classifieds for R20k  :blink:   Too good to be true ?  Stuffed ?  "hot" ?

Problem being, you see 1 or 2 of those prices, and suddenly a reasonable price for a similar bike in good nick becomes a tough sale ....

I advertised an item recently and recieved a pm from a guy calling "dips".Tomorrow became the day after tomorrow and then next week and so on. After about 2 weeks I decided screw this and sold said item to the first cash offer. Suddenly dips guy appeared again and man did he go on about me selling "his item" after he called dips. If I want something I pay it immediately to secure the item.

I advertised an item recently and recieved a pm from a guy calling "dips".Tomorrow became the day after tomorrow and then next week and so on. After about 2 weeks I decided screw this and sold said item to the first cash offer. Suddenly dips guy appeared again and man did he go on about me selling "his item" after he called dips. If I want something I pay it immediately to secure the item.

Luckily it's 'dibs' so if he called 'dips' he was either doing gym or also calls 'hand gun' when he wants to sit in the front seat as a passenger....... what a weirdo

The only dibs I accept is a cash deposit, or if someone if I have dealt with before or know well asks me to keep the item aside for them.

Cash is king, if you want something pay for it, and if you cannot pay for it immediately at least have the decency to call and make arrangements with me.

I think calling dibs is fine and should be respected, but then you’ve gotta quickly get in touch and arrange payment - dibs buys you an hour or two, no more

And you have to have funds available

I won't even acknowledge the message if someone just sends 'dibs'. 

State your intentions thoroughly with firm commitment. If I want something, I make a call and plan to get to the seller asap. I've scored tonnes of good deals, and most of them I got into my car to collect, or paid the person and arranged for the courier to collect.

That way no one is left wondering what's going on and end up disappointed.

Spot on with the dibs, if you call it then make a plan to get it asap and pay the money. I lost out on a great helmet 2 weeks ago where I asked the guy for dibs but mentioned I could only get to him 3 days later to fit and pay. He said he needed the money immediately and I wasn't willing to pay without trying it on first so I had to let it go to the next guy with cash in hand and closer to him. Tough but totally fair.