Is selling on the classifieds becoming more difficult?

M L

South African Economic Times   

384 members have voted

1. 1. Are you finding it increasingly difficult to sell things on the classifieds?

• I sell things quickly and easily - it seems people have money
    • I sell things fairly quickly
    • I find it rather difficult to sell things - I struggle to sell and get low ball offers

I agree in general with what you are saying but with only 41 posts...do I have a poor reputation?

Going back slightly to what this post is all about.. I have purchased many items on BikeHub but don't have any "points" to add to my reputation. Maybe Kudo's or the like given to buyers would also indicate your worthiness as a purchaser.

I don't think you can reverse engineer the fact that people with lots of posts are here often and probably quite like the on-line persona they have built up. If you haven't it doesn't automatically mean anything. 

If you, as a 41 poster see someone has 28347 posts, you know they have interacted a LOT on the website and with fellow hubbers, hasn't burnt his bridges and is likely to actually know other hubbers.

Instead of seeing it as an 'us and them' rather use that knowledge for your own peace of mind.

If you don't post a lot but buy and sell heaps of goodies, insist on a transaction rating. If you have 27 positive transaction rating out of 27 and only 16 posts, you're probably in the same boat as a big poster

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want the bargain/sale, you need to do the dance.... It is not just about the final number, it is a social interaction. That is how we humans work.

You will get much more success in your dealings if you at least play the game.

Me personally, I'm not in dire need of the money when I put things on sale, so if you just lowball me out of nowhere I will gladly ignore it and wait for the next guy that at least makes the effort to be courteous.

PS. I'm not in Sales, it is just a skill you pick up as time passes.

Asking R1200 for something which is half of new and mint, I get this message:

R500

The useless cnt is so lazy he can only type a number, no explanation, hello, what what, drives me nuts when I get those. Lazy bottom feeder low baller chop can't even be assed to construct a sentence or be polite yet still expects a huge discount, what a pos!!

Friday rant!

Edited by Skylark

I would reply with just two words

I do try to make sure I reply to all people (low ballers or not) with a reasonably courteous reply. It takes noting to write a quick. "Thanks but no thanks, it's already a pretty decent price. Good luck with the hunt." rather writing some *** U response.

Why does it really matter that some one lowballed you? Really, does it really cause such long lasting offence to so many? Just seems weird. 

An add to that is I've actually had quite a few sale when I have replied with a decent reply and then the guy pony's up the asking price and turns out to be a decent guy (shock horror) and was just looking to get some  coin off. Like we've all never asked for a discount... 

I can get both sides of you guys that get low balled

And trust me it happens to everyone, I've sold stuff dirt cheap (less than 10% of retail) that was still in fantastic condition and low ballers still came at me

I simply open read the message and ignore them, not use putting effort into either telling them to fu*k off or even trying to be polite

Sorry, I was referring to the 11pm text with nothing but a figure, not the lowballing offers. I have no problem with offers.

I am terrible with selling stuff second hand as I normally just take whatever I get offered as I couldn’t be bothered to negotiate. What I have done recently with any small items that I sell on gumtree is, when I get the inevitable lowball offer, I just change the currency to beer. For example, I had an extractor fan advertised last week for £20, a guy texted and offered me £10, so I went back with 12 beers as my price. I now have beer for Xmas

I have met some great people selling stuff online, but have never made any money from it as, if I like you when you turn up, you normally leave with a lot more than you came for. I had a guy turn up to buy a set of roof bars not long ago, and we got chatting. By the time he left he had the roof bars, fittings for three different cars, a bicycle carrier for the bars and various bits of mountain bike that he could make use of and I no longer needed. He was a Russian guy and I’ve seen him at a couple of trail parks since, really nice guy.

What I have done recently with any small items that I sell on gumtree is, when I get the inevitable lowball offer, I just change the currency to beer. For example, I had an extractor fan advertised last week for £20, a guy texted and offered me £10, so I went back with 12 beers as my price. I now have beer for Xmas

:clap:  My new approach!! Brilliant. 

Sorry, I was referring to the 11pm text with nothing but a figure, not the lowballing offers. I have no problem with offers.

I am terrible with selling stuff second hand as I normally just take whatever I get offered as I couldn’t be bothered to negotiate. What I have done recently with any small items that I sell on gumtree is, when I get the inevitable lowball offer, I just change the currency to beer. For example, I had an extractor fan advertised last week for £20, a guy texted and offered me £10, so I went back with 12 beers as my price. I now have beer for Xmas

I have met some great people selling stuff online, but have never made any money from it as, if I like you when you turn up, you normally leave with a lot more than you came for. I had a guy turn up to buy a set of roof bars not long ago, and we got chatting. By the time he left he had the roof bars, fittings for three different cars, a bicycle carrier for the bars and various bits of mountain bike that he could make use of and I no longer needed. He was a Russian guy and I’ve seen him at a couple of trail parks since, really nice guy.

Who drinks 12 beers over Christmas? [emoji16][emoji1]

The Sellers are asking too much for old bikes on the Hub.

Usually they are trying to get rid of old outdated bikes to buy new current bikes.

Components are usually well priced below (50%) or less.

How do Hubbers warn  fellow Hubbers on the new site,  an item  advertised is over priced / or is a bargain (like the comments on old site) ?

Asking for a friend :ph34r:

we have to report it , one thing that I feel was great about  the old site ( even tho it was abused , the good from it far out weighed the bad)

Who drinks 12 beers over Christmas? [emoji16][emoji1]

Middle of winter and busiest work time of the year.

we have to report it , one thing that I feel was great about the old site ( even tho it was abused , the good from it far out weighed the bad)

Wait what!?!?!? No more comments in the classifieds!?!?!!?

Seriously? I leave you guys alone for a few months and then this!?!??????????

Anyhoo....off to buy some rope and a ladder now. Hopefully I'll come back as a russian hacker and put this madness to an end..

So my problem with low baller`s is that I have done my research and know what the market value of my second hand bicycle is and then placed it for sale for close to market value, yes my price is R400 higher than what I am willing to settle on but that`s because if you state your settling price people will try and get your price lower, so hence the room for negotiation.

I have just had someone offer me half of my settling price if they collect it today? WTF!

I sorry I might not have ridden the bicycle in the last year as road riding in Gauteng has become too unsafe but I am not in such a hurry to sell it that I would accept it for half its value.