Is selling on the classifieds becoming more difficult?

M L

South African Economic Times   

384 members have voted

1. 1. Are you finding it increasingly difficult to sell things on the classifieds?

• I sell things quickly and easily - it seems people have money
    • I sell things fairly quickly
    • I find it rather difficult to sell things - I struggle to sell and get low ball offers

Lately I have seen a lot of "*Price Drop*" adds on the classifieds. I also buy and sell quite a lot and find it more difficult than a few years ago to get buyers. It really seems as if South Africans are in a bit of a squeeze (the classifieds is obviously not a very good representation of the average SA consumer).

Would really like to see the results on a poll, so vote!

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do also think people have started to completely over value their 2nd hand products.

I get that it's now more difficult to subsidise a new build with the price hikes, but 2nd hand from 2013 is still 2nd hand from 2013.

A lot has evolved really quickly between 2015 and now and things are not just used but also outdated and 'old tech'.

I'm not saying this is the case on ALL sales, just something I have noticed.

I do think most guys and gals in SA are feeling the pinch. It gets more and more expensive to live here and we get less and less from our government. 

Interesting thread. Funnily enough I usually sell things really quickly but have had a very niche frame for sale for ages which I can't move.

I do agree though that a tendency to low ball has crept in. Every time I open an add I get a flood of messages at ridiculous times, not one of them saying 'hi it's Mark/John/Peter here..' just saying 'I will give you 800 bucks'... Well no 

I think people still want to tinker and upgrade as always, but there is a definite squeeze on the budgets. 

So I find you need to price your item somewhat aggressively to get a bite.

Luckily I only try to sell replaced stuff to offset the price of the new item I bought, I am not in the business to make money, those people might be feeling the pinch where it hurts more.

I do also think people have started to completely over value their 2nd hand products.

This, completely. People get either sentimental or stingy, and way over value their items. Sell it at a reasonable price, and you should get offers. Easy.

Price of new bikes and parts is becoming exhorbitant.... sellers are trying to push their prices without success.

Add to this that there is not a lot of disposable income around at the moment (companies are still laying of people and the job market not looking so good)

Result is it's a buyers market and prices are being dropped.

You only have to keep an eye on the property market to see this

very interesting thread.  I wonder if there are any cycling "fashion" trends affecting sales either.  Are different types or styles of riding affecting sales? 

This, completely. People get either sentimental or stingy, and way over value their items. Sell it at a reasonable price, and you should get offers. Easy.

I do agree with this completely...

Saw a bike on The Hub a few weeks ago for R20k and it was a year older than my wife's bike which we sold 3 years ago for R8,5k...apparently the bike shop said it's worth R20k  :eek:

Also saw another add for a 2nd hand FD 7900 (10-speed) being sold for more than a new 11-speed FD...apparently if it says DURA ACE it's worth any asking price  :whistling:

But if you know the 2nd hand market price then you would not be caught out and will either move along and wait for another item at a market related price, or offer the person what you think it is worth...

Also "that time of the year" and will be easier to sell something closer to 94.7 or Argus times (Road bike related)...MTB is fairly whole year round type of market, although some people hibernate a little  :ph34r:

Also less disposable income around these days...but then again there are R80k +++ bikes being sold  :eek:

I get that it's now more difficult to subsidise a new build with the price hikes, but 2nd hand from 2013 is still 2nd hand from 2013.

A lot has evolved really quickly between 2015 and now and things are not just used but also outdated and 'old tech'.

I'm not saying this is the case on ALL sales, just something I have noticed.

I do think most guys and gals in SA are feeling the pinch. It gets more and more expensive to live here and we get less and less from our government. 

Interesting thread. Funnily enough I usually sell things really quickly but have had a very niche frame for sale for ages which I can't move.

I do agree though that a tendency to low ball has crept in. Every time I open an add I get a flood of messages at ridiculous times, not one of them saying 'hi it's Mark/John/Peter here..' just saying 'I will give you 800 bucks'... Well no 

I agree. 

If I don't state "not neg" I get these sms's, "I will give you x*". *x = 50% of asking price. No name, no introduction nothing. 

That is funny enough not the case for me. 

I feel that some items you really can't even ask a fair second hand price. But then you get items such as shimano brakes that sell very easily at prices close to the new product. Even older shimano XT and SLX brakes sell for prices that you would have paid for the new item, 3 years ago. 

Edited by M L

I bought a 2nd hand Ghost in excellent condition  from a friend and promised myself that i would fund my start up cycling ( stopped 20 years  ago ) by selling off all my retro bike stuff ,  bike , bars . shoes , jerseys , pedals , toe clips , gear shifters etc you name it i had it available .I priced every thing not at replacement value but what i would pay for those parts . I sold 99% of what i advertised and only have  a 6 speed cluster and BB bearing set left . I recouped about R15,000 which i used buy modern equipment and new clothing . No its not difficult if you price right and are not negotiable . 

very interesting thread.  I wonder if there are any cycling "fashion" trends affecting sales either.  Are different types or styles of riding affecting sales? 

Selling retro and old bike spares and clothing apparel is a niche market but with a lot of collectors out there looking and prepared to pay only the right price .