Reversed Route 94.7 2018

mercurystorm

VC was fun.  No breaks got away on the day.  Group of around 25 guys remained after the first 40km.

Was totally awesome.   :devil:

New route is for sure harder.  The resting after every climb is much less and the climbs are brutal.

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really enjoyed the reverse route.

The wind may have helped make the climbs in the first half feel less daunting.

I climbed onto the M1 and thought oh oh this is going to hurt. Then a small bunch came past and I hooked on. Was rather impressed with my self being able to stick with them through to wood mead.

The small climb up to Kyalami saw me out of juice, but I managed to muscle it around the K, then up those hills that never end and took full advantage of the last 5km.

I started my garmin as the batch started and recorded a 4h06, provisional result say 4h02

Very happy, face rather burnt.

Great ride, was the small bunch all in the same kit?

I absolutely LOVED the race!!

Last year was my first 947 and I started at 08:40 and it took me nearly 5 hours on my MTB.

This year was my second 947 and managed to finish in 2h54 starting in E.

A road bike and a much better seeding made for a completely different race for me so I cant compare the route to last year, all I know is that I love this race.

Would have like the guys to work better together on the highway and I dropped my full water bottle before Kyalami, other than that it was a perfect race for me

As previously stated, aimed for a sub5, ended at 4h11. I was so happy I cried like a baby after crossing the finish line. I started kn W, found myself amongst the P group close to the highway and managed to hang on to a decent group through that wind.

Started feeling my right calf on the way to cramping before Kayalami, so backed off a bit.

Managed to, as planned, wheelie at the top of Hyde park past some carbon biked roadies. It had nothing to do with the females cheering i the vicinity...

Managed to finish my 1.2l of fluids between each water point, so probably chugged through 8l during the race.

Absolutely loved it! I'll definitely enter next year's.

I didn't hear a beep when crossing the finish line, so only have a time up to the Spotter Point on their mobile app.

I've already created a query by logging into my profile, then looking for the sub-heading "My time doesn't show on the results".

I was tired to hear a beep ... on there racetech app they have my official finishing time. And my progress across all the mats throughout the race.

I am presuming there’s a glitch in b batch as there cannot be only 175 riders in b. And an average of 400-500 in other groups

I suspect that on paper the original and reverse routes will amount to very similar effort or "hardness" levels. By now we have all gotten to know the old route and I think the fact that many did not completely know what to expect with the reverse (and plan our rides accordingly) made this one feel harder. Sure, you can visualize the race profile and the route reversed but riding on the day was much like doing a new route altogether.

I'm gonna be honest - yesterday was borderline brutal and let me be the only one to prefer the original route but for purely personal reasons; my legs take a while to wake up and they do not like lots of climbing when cold. I had aspirations to re-join the sub-3 club after a few years of back-riding but that kite departed early on in the race and I missed the target with 5 minutes. I was again reminded why this race is really the Grootboet of the medium-distance single day events on the SA calendar. Hard maar lekker.

Ps - on the R511 early morning bumper-to-bumper traffic approaching the venue a guy drove into the back of another and totaled two very pricey bikes on the bike rack...man...I have not seen such rage before! What a terrible way to non-start your race!        

Edited by Karooryder

CCMNC:  3:25

94.7:       3:20

5min difference

This was my post in another thread from 11 October:

2:26 was the Carnival City Macsteel National Classic - they did 2:25:56

2:14 for the 947 - 2:15:26 for yesterday's winner.

If you did the CCMNC, how did your time compare between these two events?

CCMNC - 3:31

947 - 3:33

I did not have a good race at CCMNC, but the flatter route suites a heaver rider like me.

Must be a glitch in K aswell see only 176 finishers recorded.

I beterred my time from 3:54 last year to 3:38 stil unoficial this year. Did it on my mtb with knobbies again. Race was awesome and wel organized. I lost my rennies at about 60 km in and then my water bottel just after kyalami. all in all it was a good day out for me and i enjoyed tryng to stick with the roadie group on the M1???? and i felt like we were flying

question what is a good time for this on a Mtb?

What's the winning lotto numbers?

65kmh+ speedhumps is not safe they need to make a plan with those

I assume you talking about Steyn City. Rather have those bumps at the beginning when peoples minds are fresh, than right at the end.

I also think the reversed route is much safer. I felt much more comfortable descending down the M1 rather than Jan Smuts/Cumberland.

As previously stated, aimed for a sub5, ended at 4h11. I was so happy I cried like a baby after crossing the finish line. I started kn W, found myself amongst the P group close to the highway and managed to hang on to a decent group through that wind.

Started feeling my right calf on the way to cramping before Kayalami, so backed off a bit.

Managed to, as planned, wheelie at the top of Hyde park past some carbon biked roadies. It had nothing to do with the females cheering i the vicinity...

Managed to finish my 1.2l of fluids between each water point, so probably chugged through 8l during the race.

Absolutely loved it! I'll definitely enter next year's.

Idiot

Two guys cruised past me on ebikes, having a chat, on that last big climb after Kyalami. I wondered to myself if they would share my sense of accomplishment after the race.

Can't believe that they allowed e-bikes...grinding it out on my way up to hyde park two of them passed me with comfort....think it is totally unfair and making a mockery of what is suppose to be cycle "challenge"...

Can't believe that they allowed e-bikes...grinding it out on my way up to hyde park two of them passed me with comfort....think it is totally unfair and making a mockery of what is suppose to be cycle "challenge"...

Honest question: I am assuming E Bikes have a separate category? Their finish time is measured only against other E Bikes?

It will also bugger up the seedings.