Reversed Route 94.7 2018

mercurystorm

• Replies 820
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the new route was harder, given the conditions we rode in.

2017 vs 2018

VD vs VC

Both years I went into the CC without specifically training for it - just going on my fitness level at the time. Only difference was that I had just over 900Km worth of running since last year’s CC.

Same bike, same gear, same weight, same result.

d9c51426a301e8f4d8b5cdb8a067c1d7.jpg

If next year you do the exact same time again we going to have you tested. Then there'll be proof that you aren't human !!!

mixed bags when i try to compare.  I enjoyed the fast riding on the M1, but its a way different race.  stats are much different and its hard to say if it was harder or easier...

2017: 2h53;  average power: 218W / 274NP;  avg HR 155; Max 20min: 265W

2018: 2h52;  average power: 197W / 248NP;  avg HR 155; Max 20min: 254W

both starts were from C, so the stats suggest a much easier ride in 2018.  That said, at some point around hyde park / zoo lake i had a look and my average power was north of 230W and NP was 285ish, so the first half was crazy hard and once you hit the M1 the numbers drop big time coasting in the bunch for 30 odd minutes.

i thought i was fitter this year, yet i almost started cramping after kyalami yesterday and my numbers are way lower.  how did you guys compare if you look at the effort?

2016:   A: 2:31; avg power 209W / 225NP; avg HR 156; Max 20min 231W  (Worked a bit and flat out to the finish)

2017: DL: 2:40; avg power 199W / 227NP; avg HR 152; Max 20min 226W  (Pulled the bunch for the first half then jumped in with A)

2018:   A: 2:28; avg power 195W / 217NP; avg HR 151; Max 20min 217W  (Sat in the bunch, easy ride.)

Do you mind sharing what app/program you used to get these stats?

WKO4

Edit: Golden Cheetah is a free version, and probably as good as WKo4. It’s the app/program mentioned in Training & Racing with a power meter, which is why I went with it.

It also shows matches burnt, based on % of FTP. I know my FTP wasn’t correct, but it certainly felt like I was striking a match every climb:

c8c193483c85df2da63cacf217d745fc.jpg

b064db607d229b03141154b76bdb326f.jpg

Edited by Frosty

2016: A: 2:31; avg power 209W / 225NP; avg HR 156; Max 20min 231W (Worked a bit and flat out to the finish)

2017: DL: 2:40; avg power 199W / 227NP; avg HR 152; Max 20min 226W (Pulled the bunch for the first half then jumped in with A)

2018: A: 2:28; avg power 195W / 217NP; avg HR 151; Max 20min 217W (Sat in the bunch, easy ride.)

That makes me sick... virtually no effort and a great time. Nice one.

Looking at the majority here on the Hub and various other channels like Whattsapp groups the preference is for the new route. Also appears that a lot of cyclists while feeling the new route is harder, posted better times than last year. 

I just could not be on my HR zone 5 no matter how hard I tried and on every climb all groups were just passing me, I don't know if it was because I had just completed 2 weeks of antibiotics course or am I catching URTI again. :mellow:

post-68257-0-52701200-1542697659_thumb.jpeg

I thought the new route was harder, given the conditions we rode in.

2017 vs 2018

VD vs VC

Both years I went into the CC without specifically training for it - just going on my fitness level at the time. Only difference was that I had just over 900Km worth of running since last year’s CC.

Same bike, same gear, same weight, same result.

d9c51426a301e8f4d8b5cdb8a067c1d7.jpg

2017 Avg HR 169 & Avg Power 204W

2018 Avg HR 155 & Avg Power 220W

????? Not sure how that work unless you way fitter?

That makes me sick... virtually no effort and a great time. Nice one.

It helps when you only weight 60kg and know how to hide in the bunch :ph34r: :whistling:

It seems participation has been on the decline over this period, do you think that would skew 2018 to the left?  Also, what's the effect of the "Heat Plan"?  Did those late finishers receive Racetec finish times despite riding a significantly shorter route? (might explain the tighter variance)

Number of timed finishers:

2016: 20726

2017: 20353

2018: 18464

This lower number might be because they are still loading the results. I'll pull them down again next weak to check.

No idea what they did with the time for the people doing the shorter route.

2017 Avg HR 169 & Avg Power 204W

2018 Avg HR 155 & Avg Power 220W

????? Not sure how that work unless you way fitter?

It helps when you only weight 60kg and know how to hide in the bunch :ph34r: :whistling:

what is not in there is your w/kg which has increased if your weight stayed constant from 3.4w/kg to 3.6w/kg this year. So you are better conditioned than you were in 2017 and based on your HR that was 14BPM lower which I would guess translates to about 2% less confirms that.    

2018 was my 14th 947, the last one being in 2013.  Got to say I absolutely loved every minute of the route.  I was under no illusions that it was going to be tough so I removed all electronics, no HRM, GPS, nothing....the only plan was to start easy and have a lekker day simply riding a bicycle on traffic-free streets, with the specific intention of finishing the ride feeling like I could go further (I am planning on getting my feet wet in the Audax scene in 2019).

My biggest concern was Kyalami's mineshaft, knowing I can blast down meant an expectation of severe suffering going up....the reality was very different - piece of cake.  I finished in a very leisurely 4h30, a slightly deeper tan, and confidence that my Audax training is on track.

Try leaving the electronics behind sometime - it's hugely liberating.... 

Edited by Cactus

Number of timed finishers:

2016: 20726

2017: 20353

2018: 18464

This lower number might be because they are still loading the results. I'll pull them down again next weak to check.

No idea what they did with the time for the people doing the shorter route.

I see there is a 80km Telkom 94.7 listed on Racetec perhaps that's were the cyclists who did the shorter route are listed?

Looking at the majority here on the Hub and various other channels like Whattsapp groups the preference is for the new route. Also appears that a lot of cyclists while feeling the new route is harder, posted better times than last year. 

The 94.7 organisers are having a poll on Twitter which ends tonight and majority of the people that have voted preferred this years route.

I'm sure the heat played a major role for the later groups.

I started in B bunch and never felt hot during the ride but at the finish line once I stopped I felt the heat pretty quick.

Those last 4km are probably the best out of any race.

3EvABuK.png

what is not in there is your w/kg which has increased if your weight stayed constant from 3.4w/kg to 3.6w/kg this year. So you are better conditioned than you were in 2017 and based on your HR that was 14BPM lower which I would guess translates to about 2% less confirms that.    

Those are Frosy's stats not mine :P and I would hope my w/kg hasn't dropped that low :unsure: at SA's a few years ago my avg was 4.2w/kg for 4h20min.