Cape Epic 2019

AllAboutRides

Scott SRAM could'nt get the tyre off simply because they didn't have a tyre lever. Somehow it had been omitted from their prerace tool kit. Both Lars and by Nino then tried to get the tyre off by using the next standard method of pulling the top of the tyre down to get it over the lip. The rim bed is built up with rim tape to make inflating the tyre quick and efficient with a 25gr bomb. Not wasted Co2 trying to get the tyre to seat first. It pops up immediately. 

They won't make the mistake of omitting the tyre lever again. They were checking their tools before they rolled off to start their TT.

Nothing uncommon there. The lighter tyre is typical Nino. It gives better feel of the trail. They don't like thicker sidewalled tyres because the thick side wall makes the tyre feel dead. More traction in theory but the rider doesn't know that till it lets go. Thinner sidewalls gives better feel and the trade off is that the risk of a puncture is higher. These guys don't choose tyres to plough through the trail. They want feel, something newbies don't develop because they're told to use thick walled tyres that mutes the trail feel.

It is because most people want to be able to get home when they ride a trail, or finish the race since they don't have back-up teams or a tech team waiting at the next tech zone with a lot of spares. Reliability over speed.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isnt that why gentle Jesus made thru axles,and quick releases with handle on? Doubles,up as a tyre lever?

Surely if a wannabe like me knows that, top class pros would too?

Nino’s quick release handle is most likely not shaped like normal one.... probably round and skinny like a nail... hopefully not their epic nail in a coffin

Nino’s quick release handle is most likely not shaped like normal one.... probably round and skinny like a nail... hopefully not their epic nail in a coffin

Shot Swiss.

Nah I think Nino and Forster have this one in the bag.

It is because most people want to be able to get home when they ride a trail, or finish the race since they don't have back-up teams or a tech team waiting at the next tech zone with a lot of spares. Reliability over speed.

Sure but there's a marked difference in the requirements of a weekend warrior vs a UCI XCO professional racer

Nothing uncommon there. The lighter tyre is typical Nino. It gives better feel of the trail. They don't like thicker sidewalled tyres because the thick side wall makes the tyre feel dead. More traction in theory but the rider doesn't know that till it lets go. Thinner sidewalls gives better feel and the trade off is that the risk of a puncture is higher. These guys don't choose tyres to plough through the trail. They want feel, something newbies don't develop because they're told to use thick walled tyres that mutes the trail feel.

Agreed 100% for XCO, where the course is tight and handling needs to be precise. Plus tech zones are quickly accessible. 

But for XCM and stage racing when most of the time you riding almost straight up, not so much. 

Plus the need for durability. 

Sure but there's a marked difference in the requirements of a weekend warrior vs a UCI XCO professional racer

Try tell that to most weekend warriors. 

When the buffalo absolutely MUST have the Epic/Spark/whatever the pros ride .... 

Agreed 100% for XCO, where the course is tight and handling needs to be precise. Plus tech zones are quickly accessible.

But for XCM and stage racing when most of the time you riding almost straight up, not so much.

Plus the need for durability.

Not sure what riding straight up means.

XCM or xco these guys are riding at a similar pace. The speed they're racing at is about twice that of the average weekend warrior. Thicker casing tyres isn't going to make a difference, and is likely more susceptible to puncturing due the tyre having less flexibility. Thinner casing tyres are more elastic and absorb the trail better and therefore take impacts better in much the same way a latex tube is better at puncture resistance compared to a butyl tube. But you have to know how to handle the bike.

Durability is not a factor to a sponsored rider, reliability is important. They spend 10xmore hours on their equipment than average weekend warrior. I would think that the reliability numbers are heavily in favour of the chosen equipment. The moments of failure we see is likely just a factor of the additional stress the equipment is put through as a result of racing at the sharp end.

But if the rim was so built up with tape that they couldn't get the bead into it to peel off the tyre its weight (the tape) would negate any weight saved by running a light tyre?

Not sure what riding straight up means.

XCM or xco these guys are riding at a similar pace. The speed they're racing at is about twice that of the average weekend warrior. Thicker casing tyres isn't going to make a difference, and is likely more susceptible to puncturing due the tyre having less flexibility. Thinner casing tyres are more elastic and absorb the trail better and therefore take impacts better in much the same way a latex tube is better at puncture resistance compared to a butyl tube. But you have to know how to handle the bike.

Durability is not a factor to a sponsored rider, reliability is important. They spend 10xmore hours on their equipment than average weekend warrior. I would think that the reliability numbers are heavily in favour of the chosen equipment. The moments of failure we see is likely just a factor of the additional stress the equipment is put through as a result of racing at the sharp end.

If you watch dh again. Have a look at the tyres. They be goin FASSSST... And they all opt for the the thickest burliest casings they are able to spin up to speed. IMO the reason epic riders ride toilet paper thin tyres is because the riders themselves are that good and its a bit of all or nothing. Rather keep up with the bunch with low rotational weight and higher chances for puncture. Puncture stats are prob around 15%. Getting dropped from the bunch due to high rotational weight is 100% (at that level).

If you watch dh again. Have a look at the tyres. They be goin FASSSST... And they all opt for the the thickest burliest casings they are able to spin up to speed. IMO the reason epic riders ride toilet paper thin tyres is because the riders themselves are that good and its a bit of all or nothing. Rather keep up with the bunch with low rotational weight and higher chances for puncture. Puncture stats are prob around 15%. Getting dropped from the bunch due to high rotational weight is 100% (at that level).

Ja i can't see Scott being dropped from the the bunch due to heavier tyres. The way they are riding minutes into everyone on even the shorter stage shows that they have some watts left

I disagree. I can see them getting dropped. Heavier tyres at that level...they probably have less than 20watt average difference between the top bunch. That excludes handling differences and mental reassurance. Nino wouldn't ride toilet paper tyres if he didn't have to. He could have chosen different tyres in that brand lineup.

Trust me, the PROs have skills.

The PRO roadies, well, that’s another matter, as they have support vehicles one arm wave away.

Sometimes it takes some time (poetic) ⚙

I know of a lot and I mean a lot of Road Pros that can change a tubby on a training ride and carry on going.

Amazing MTB's can't even get a tyre off a rim.....

I see that Bart Brentjens is riding a hardtail. Probably the American Eagle. They are his team's bike supplier. I wonder if their full susser is too heavy or whether this is just Bart being Bart - tough guy!

One comment on all the ladies lining up on the start grid...

They all have what seems to be (might be camera faces) a great attitude towards each other,

G

I've been resisting... but what the hell.

I can't see the teams not using different tyres for different stages depending on riding surface expected, each of the top teams will know whats coming, how dangerous the surface is and potentially based on that possible change tyres day to day... or not ?

G

Archived