Ride snacks - real food

Just don't trust myself to peel it while on the bike

Start peeling it from the other end to the stem much easier - thats how monkeys do it.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Start peeling it from the other end to the stem much easier - thats how monkeys do it.

I thought thats how humans did it as well...

Dont panic. A banana skin is organic.

The environment welcomes it.

A banana skin takes about two years to decompose. It's litter, take it home.

How long does it take a bar or gel wrapper to decompose? And does it give any sort of nutritional value to the environment?

I’ve read that too, although from personal experience I sincerely doubt that it would take a banana skin 2 years to decompose when exposed to the elements. Hell, whole bananas that my 2 year old hides in the car for daddy is black and shriveled in about a week

I've stopped over thinking my eating habits on the bike. I used to eat a million gels, energy drinks at double the price of petrol and all kinds of crap to stay "fueled"

I've now started seriously upping my distance and chucked all the crap in the bin. On long training rides, I have a big bowl of cereal and black coffee before the ride and chuck a couple of cookies in my jersey pocket and 2 bottles of water. I've not felt the need for anything more than that.

I suppose it's fairly easy calculate the amount of fuel you need on a ride by averaging your caloric expenditure per km, but I've never been good at maths.

Based on a 100km ride, I burn an average of 2000 calories, 200 per 10km

Bowl of cereal = 540 calories

So I need 292 calories per 20km excluding "residual" calories

I (without being a food nutritionist) assume that I need only half of that in order to safely finish my ride. 2-3 Romany creams per 20km sounds like a good deal to me. Replace cookies with anything you fancy that hits that target

I use the Squish or equivalent pouches, and also all the usual suspects such as bananas, biltong, date bites, etc. 

Another interesting product which I am currently trying is this: http://www.genesisnutrition.co.za/genesis-nutritional-products-key-product-features/

At R7 per pouch, it is a pretty cheap alternative, and has a similar texture to Future Life.

Tom

Where do you purchase this from?

I’ve read that too, although from personal experience I sincerely doubt that it would take a banana skin 2 years to decompose when exposed to the elements. Hell, whole bananas that my 2 year old hides in the car for daddy is black and shriveled in about a week

Those must be nice to find! It's the post blackening stage which takes a long time.

Ref: keepbritaintidy.org

Paper bag – 1 month

Apple core – 8 weeks

Orange peel and banana skins – 2 years

Cigarette end – 18 months to 500 years

Plastic bag – 10 to 20 years

A plastic bottle – 450 years

Chewing gum – 1 million years

Obviously this is in a NH cooler climate, but it still applies.

I've stopped over thinking my eating habits on the bike. I used to eat a million gels, energy drinks at double the price of petrol and all kinds of crap to stay "fueled"

I've now started seriously upping my distance and chucked all the crap in the bin. On long training rides, I have a big bowl of cereal and black coffee before the ride and chuck a couple of cookies in my jersey pocket and 2 bottles of water. I've not felt the need for anything more than that.

I suppose it's fairly easy calculate the amount of fuel you need on a ride by averaging your caloric expenditure per km, but I've never been good at maths.

Based on a 100km ride, I burn an average of 2000 calories, 200 per 10km

Bowl of cereal = 540 calories

So I need 292 calories per 20km excluding "residual" calories

I (without being a food nutritionist) assume that I need only half of that in order to safely finish my ride. 2-3 Romany creams per 20km sounds like a good deal to me. Replace cookies with anything you fancy that hits that target

I started experimenting with nutrition when I was still racing enduro bikes, where you often have very long days in the saddle. I realised all these hi-tech foods is just a bunch of crap. In the end I dumped all the hi tech rubbish and just stuck to the basics and real food, and I felt no different. 

I now have a very basic formula, any rides under 1.5hrs I eat something small before hand and only drink water during the ride. Between 1.5 and 3hrs I'll have a bit bigger meal before hand and chow two bananas during the ride, still just on water. Anything over 3 hrs I'll drink an Endurashake before (lady that I know that makes these herself, great product) and eat something like salted nuts or fruitcake every hour, still just drink water. Thats been working for me for the last 10 years. 

Those must be nice to find! It's the post blackening stage which takes a long time.

Paper bag – 1 month

Apple core – 8 weeks

I wonder how big a ball you'll get if you put all the daily discarded chewing gum of the world together? 

Paper bag – 1 month

Apple core – 8 weeks

Yeah, good for testing gag reflexes. Starting smelling it after a couple of days but my daughter is quite talented in hiding stuff. Eventually found it underneath her little car seat, with the consistency of a brown nappy

Have to agree with Partydave and Zeepee. Proper breakfast, one bottle of water and one with energy drink and good to go for hours. I personally think the "keep fueled" is a Tour De France commentators phrase. However, experiment , the brain can play games.

Edited by Prince