Theft of bikes at races

pappadiv

Yesterday Stellenbosch had it's iconic MTB race at Spier. Sadly 2 bikes got stolen out of the parking area. Thief cut the lock of 3 bikes and piced the best one. 9 min later he went to another car bike rack and removed the one bike to get to the better of the 2. He was dressed in cycling kit and he cycled the bikes out of Spier passing multiple securaty personnel. I noted on FB that another bike was stolen at a other race in W/Cape.

This is something that happens at every race. 

Cyclist should just keep there bikes with them while having the recovery beer. 

I know it is not right and it should not be like that and the bikes where locked and all of those things, but thats what is is. 

As soon as the A-holes sees that there is no bikes to steal, or its to difficult to get one, they will seek new shopping grounds. 

Yeah I can understand your frustration at the security but with the sheer amount of cyclists, how else would you expect them to do a better job? I can bet you and then rest of the participants would lose your minds if they held you up at the gate with a bike registry for every bike, so honestly aside from them being next to each car and remembering what everyone looks like, it's kinda impossible... You also have to bear in mind that they are not bike guys, and as they aren't bike guys, they cant recognise who is riding what and where...

Look after your own stuff, realise that bike locks are just deterrents, not guarantees, and you should always keep your bike within sight at all times.

I guess its one of those realities we have to deal with living in ZA. If you choose to live here, you have to be fine with the fact that your stuff may get stolen and be properly insured / covered for that eventuality. It sucks, but that's unfortunately the way it's going to be until we get education/unemployment/poverty fixed.

I guess its one of those realities we have to deal with living in ZA. If you choose to live here, you have to be fine with the fact that your stuff may get stolen and be properly insured / covered for that eventuality. It sucks, but that's unfortunately the way it's going to be until we get education/unemployment/poverty fixed.

One bicycle is stolen in Britain every six minutes

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/revealed-one-bike-stolen-every-six-minutes-in-the-uk-and-london-is-worst-off-a3815641.html

#justSaying

stop trusting in crap locks and lockable car bike racks ....get some of these

Edited by Karman de Lange

I'd like to know where all these stollen bikes go... Even saw that a eBike got stollen in setllies the other day. Surely that's easy to spot and not easy to sell for parts

Was about to ask ask what kind of locks will work, I have accepted that the Thule claps will not be sufficient, so have a another lockable cable locks (with a key), as I have found the normal "combination" ones are very insecure.  Myself I have been able to "recover" a lost code by hacking the combination within 30 seconds

post-65102-0-00971400-1532938302_thumb.jpg

Edited by LeoKnight

have you seen how fast a skollie clips thru your "locked" Thule rack or a crappy cable lock - these bikes get stolen by guys with medium size cable cutters in a backpack - you dont cut a kryptonite with cable cutter.

ive never heard of a bike thief "picking" a lock in SA but hey if you have to find a reason to moan then .....oh i just noticed you from CT so that explains it ...... ^_^  ^_^ ^_^  

I've been using the old THICK chain with padlock method.. It won't stop anyone who really wants to steal the bike, but you will have to bring bloody big bolt cutters and in town/races someone might look at you twice walking around with it

here you can see how normal lock gets cut, so just make sure small bolt cutter/side cutter won't cut it.  https://www.bikehub.co.za/stolenbikes/990-silverback-spectra-sport-2015/

Edited by Karman de Lange

have you seen how fast a skollie clips thru your "locked" Thule rack or a crappy cable lock - these bikes get stolen by guys with medium size cable cutters in a backpack - you dont cut a kryptonite with cable cutter.

ive never heard of a bike thief "picking" a lock in SA but hey if you have to find a reason to moan then .....oh i just noticed you from CT so that explains it ...... ^_^  ^_^ ^_^  

LOL  .. I've lived in Stellies or gone to school here for about 30 years .. Bicycle theft is nothing new and 99% of bikes are locked.

My point about the video is .. don't advocate a fail safe method of locking your bike if its fairly easy to get into it.

You will need two of those locks, one for front and one for back wheel, and even maybe one for frame to the post... they steal wheels, frames , parts anything in this place.

Also, make sure the post is actually secure, seen post getting pulled out the ground and whole bike/post carried away.