[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2019

Warren Lew

2017 was a trifecta of issues which cancelled it. I honestly believe the organizers will try and keep this event going as far as possible.

If it is only the wind as it is predicted now it will not be cancelled in my opinion.

37km/h winds with it gusting up to 50km/h is still manageable for them if it is the only outside influence they need to address. They can station marshals to force groups to come to a complete stop at dodgy sections and then let them only progress at close to walking speeds.

But should a fire or protest show up again, it could very possibly be cancelled...

If I stayed somewhere in the southern half of RSA I would have still made my way down to the start-line this weekend. 

Here's hoping you guys get to ride it come Sunday.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering it's only been cancelled once, what was the other reason?

Chose to not do the shortened one. It clashed with something else and then once it got shortened that made my decision easier. 

Opportunity cost for the organizers, would you rather have 2000 people doing a second lap at R250 or 100 at R540?

I think the latter, not because of the money but because it puts potentially less pressure on them in having the last few groups swell in size as a number of riders that finished come forward to ride it again.  

I think there is an argument to discount the second lap, but probably not by as much.  

If you start thinking about the logistics, if there were no costs involved or just a nominal fees to cover the small additional costs (medal, medical expenses of second ride taking more toll on the rider, etc), imagine how many riders would sign up irrespective if they have a realistic chance to make it back to the chute before the last group goes off, where now the only ones that is signing up are those that are confident in their ability to make it in time.  

Then again this could be probably catered for by much more stringent qualifications.  Just don't see it as a black and white argument and there are much more things to consider

Look again. 

I checked the website, and it tells the same story.

Ah ok, I see what you mean. So the Cape Point forecast is shocking, but the city bowl forecast is the benign forecast that I was looking at. 

Cape Point is obviously one of the windiest places in the entire country. 

Oh well - at this point my 50mm wheels are already boxed and on the way down. I did sneak in one box rim wheel so worst case scenario i will swap front wheels out and hope for the best!  

There can.be only ONE true Mamil... and I am he in.my stay wider of the wider rider lumo lycra glory.

2017 was cancelled because of a combination of wind, protest and fires, emergency services were better utilized elsewhere instead of baby sitting 30 000 MAMILS

Ah ok, I see what you mean. So the Cape Point forecast is shocking, but the city bowl forecast is the benign forecast that I was looking at. 

Cape Point is obviously one of the windiest places in the entire country. 

Oh well - at this point my 50mm wheels are already boxed and on the way down. I did sneak in one box rim wheel so worst case scenario i will swap front wheels out and hope for the best!  

Yes the City Bowl area will likely be a bit breezy. Once you get out onto the freeway the wind hits you from Walmer Estate.

I prefer a windy ride, it keeps the start civilised and the eager beavers burn their matches early and are shed by the top of Edinburgh Drive. After this the group size is more manageable and there's less likelihood of the droppers latching back on

There can.be only ONE true Mamil... and I am he in.my stay wider of the wider rider lumo lycra glory.

Are you joining the rest of the Fluo family in their special start group?

Nothing wrong with surface of the road, its just that the road goes from 3 lanes to 1 at a random point before the mall, so have to be in the right place at the right time.

You post so many pictures of yourself on twitter but non of these road works. I am disappointed in you. Post some pics for me please. 

PS: I saw your tweet re your line choice and I was going to ask for pics so I got a heads up.

You post so many pictures of yourself on twitter but non of these road works. I am disappointed in you. Post some pics for me please. 

PS: I saw your tweet re your line choice and I was going to ask for pics so I got a heads up.

I live here.  Have my lines waxed.

its the same event. 

all costs have already been incurred.

No roads have to be held open longer than the designated period.

No marshalls need to be paid overtime waiting for me

No traffic officer needs to eat extra doughnuts while I trundle along.

No extra medical expenses are incurred.

the 2nd entry fee is a discouragement tax, nothing else. the organisers don't really want the second lap because its an inconvenience as so few people actually do it.

The only addition cost is a little printed sticker that isn't worth R540. I'd rather go and spend that at a cafe along the route and cheer the backmarkers.

BTW nice choice of antogonisng words there Jase.... "entitled"

clearly you have a suitcase to be unpacked here neh

entitled....jissus bru that is exactly the correct term for your viewpoint!

entitled Dictionary result for entitled
/ɪnˈtʌɪt(ə)ld/
adjective

1. believing oneself to be inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment.

I get where you're coming from, but you have already realised that the 2nd lap is not really an integral part of the event. It might be for some, but it's not the main vibe. They also bank on a huge proportion of entrants not actually starting, so I think the numbers of 2nd lap riders are kept restricted to not crowd the back end of the field if this trend did ever change.

They're in a unique position that it hasn't been sold out, so they probably could reduce the fee to rake in more 2nd lap entries for this occasion.

but then next year the moangatte would probably moan that they're second lap is now too expensive.

Complaining that a charity event is ripping you off, nice moral stance. Just vote with your wallet, and move on.