[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2019

Warren Lew

A few years back, my wife and I attended a wedding in George on Saturday evening. We made our apologies and left at about 21h00,  drove through the night, got about 3 hours sleep. Then we got up and rode the Cycle Tour.

We don't go very fast and so we don't have to start too early. It took us longer than usual, but we had a fun weekend all round.

Ha ha.

A few years back the whole of team DJR attended a cousins wedding the night before the Argus. Big festivities, but we didn't drink much at all and at about 10 pm excused ourselves to get a good nights' rest for the excellent early start we worked so hard for..........up early next morning........everything perfect, just a bit of a breeze (OK, it was the wind from hell).........and the organizers went and bloody cancelled the thing just as we got to the start! 

I've learnt from it though. I won't say no thank you to a good party next time.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry I should not just blame my inabiltiy to do a sub 3 on bunches.  There is also an inherent lack of talent, 95kgs and probably not enough training too

i think your bike is still above the UCI legal limit, surely some weightloss there would help you go faster?

A few years back, my wife and I attended a wedding in George on Saturday evening. We made our apologies and left at about 21h00,  drove through the night, got about 3 hours sleep. Then we got up and rode the Cycle Tour.

We don't go very fast and so we don't have to start too early. It took us longer than usual, but we had a fun weekend all round.

I've done enough Argusses (sic - Argii?) that anything different is a change and enjoyable.

Have done it after a batchelors twice. The first one involved a boat cruise, I peaked well early and got taken home. I did a gentle cruise round the peninsula feeling a little bit sorry for myself, but got back to the flat in sea point and there were still bodies all over the place. no one believed that i had actually rode it.

second one was out of town in Onrus. Two of us drove through early sunday to make the race, and to take the piss I rode it in jeans. Normally that's not nearly as bad an idea as it sounds, but at the time a midnight swim at the beach seemed like a decent enough plan. Where my thinking went south was not showering before going to bed, I was very salty that day.

I have now decided that I am too old/smart to engage in this sort of shenanigans these days, for now.

The pennyfarthing ride looks like a decent challenge, however!

edit. that's jeans and loud hawaiin shirt

post-1830-0-22700200-1548918786_thumb.jpg

Edited by juan pelota

I've done enough Argusses (sic - Argii?) that anything different is a change and enjoyable.

Have done it after a batchelors twice. The first one involved a boat cruise, I peaked well early and got taken home. I did a gentle cruise round the peninsula feeling a little bit sorry for myself, but got back to the flat in sea point and there were still bodies all over the place. no one believed that i had actually rode it.

second one was out of town in Onrus. Two of us drove through early sunday to make the race, and to take the piss I rode it in jeans. Normally that's not nearly as bad an idea as it sounds, but at the time a midnight swim at the beach seemed like a decent enough plan. Where my thinking went south was not showering before going to bed, I was very salty that day.

I have now decided that I am too old/smart to engage in this sort of shenanigans these days, for now.

The pennyfarthing ride looks like a decent challenge, however!

edit. that's jeans and loud hawaiin shirt

attachicon.gifargus2012.JPG

I was going to say pictures or it never happened but there they are. That is seriously cool man, Oli Munnick kinda stuff.

Th thread this year feels much more subdued than previous years this time around, or is that just me blocking a bad experiences. Either be a sign that people are maturing or that people are just not caring anymore

Not only the thread but the entire event... A few years back much of the Argus was a mission (but a lekker mission I have to add), from entering to getting reasonably prices flights (for those of us inland), from getting car rentals to number pickup and the expo...even getting a seat at Vida for a coffee on the traditional Saturday warm up ride down the seaboard was a kerfuffle. I think the event has entered a new season  - kind of like a tumultuous teen growing into a more chilled adult...and I kinda like that. I recon we will not see the maxed-out entry numbers anytime soon again and I think it's a good thing, in a way returning to the heart and soul of the event.  

Speaking of which (and digressing from the philosophical for a moment)...initially we were a group of 5 buddies entered for 2019. Slowly but surely the soldiers pulled out (in all cases, for financial reasons) until only I remain...but ride I will, and I am oddly excited to just "do my own thing" this year...yet again, for me the Argus was always a bit of a personal spiritual experience...aching legs, ocean mist in the eyes and the most beautiful scenery there is simply no better sensory overload!

Edited by Karooryder

When do they send out the starting times? Doing my first one so all new teritory for me.

email came on the 7th of feb last year

When do they send out the starting times? Doing my first one so all new teritory for me.

I went back in my mails. I can't find a mail from 2018 but in 2017 it was today!!! 31 Jan 2017. So hopefully soon.

..........yet again, for me the Argus was always a bit of a personal spiritual experience...aching legs, ocean mist in the eyes and the most beautiful scenery there is simply no better sensory overload!

That sounds a bit like my crowd. We live an easy ride away from the start, so it simply became a normal Sunday ride for us.....with road closure and crowds cheering......fun ride! 

also doing my first this year and on my heavy trail bike. I'll put slicks on

All my training has been about climbing but now my issue with 1x11 is that i spin out on flat. Now I'm wondering if i put the 2x back on or just put a bigger chainring

That sounds a bit like my crowd. We live an easy ride away from the start, so it simply became a normal Sunday ride for us.....with road closure and crowds cheering......fun ride! 

Ditto. Plus I get to visit my daughters at UCT...

#freefood