[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2019

Warren Lew

Hi Guys,

I have an entry for sale if anyone is interested. Unfortunately I broke my hand early in January , and have not fully recovered enough to train properly or do long distances.

Substitutions open on the 13th , so PM me if you are interested.

Sorry about the hand, but.................................Matt Hayman

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

F5 F5 F5 F5 till Wednesday. COOOOOMMMMMEEEEE on seeding....................

Aren't you riding in racing tandem?

what sort of time would this group do? - might be a good way for me to learn how to ride with others if I can keep up of course. 

We did it a few years ago, if I remember right. The group varied widely because the only requirement is that you be a PPA member and wear one of their Safe Cycling shirts. Back then we found that there were very fast guys, but also very slow guys. It worked well for us because we rode as a group of four and didn't even try to find or form a peloton. The PPA Safe Cycling group start is somewhere around 7h50, so would slot in with a group average total time of about 3h45 to 4 hours (bit of a thumb suck)? I cannot say that it was a particularly safe group. I guess it was about normal for a mid-field group, not as crazy crash prone as the front racers, and much safer than the tail end wildebeest migration. 

Edited by DJR

Aren't you riding in racing tandem?

I hope so. Usually it's a given for us to make racing tandems but I haven't raced since Argus last year so my seeding has taken a roasting. All my results have penalties. Sitting at 19 at the moment. I don't know if they will just take my result from last year or new seeding, also not sure what the cut off seeding is for racing tandems. 

so... i'm going to rant a bit.

last week i tried to explain to racetec that the 2018 CTCT should have only 5 penalty points as it is a premier seeding event, not 10.  Their first reply was rather generic "older events get a slight penalty" bs.

so, i try to help by sending a screenshot of my 99er seeding results which was a month before.

post-96642-0-66283400-1549877042_thumb.jpg

i get this reply:

"Hi.

The 99er is a seeding event, while the Cycle Tour is not.

That is why the Cycle tour has a bigger penalty.

Regards

Seeding team"

I then try to call racetec and speak to the person who is giving me such useless replies, but instead I get a friendly lady who tried to help me, but she didn't quite know what premier seeding events were and asked me to email some info to her.  any how, no reply.

I eventually just sent them a link to the CTCT website and a screenshot detailing that CTCT 2018 is indeed a Premier event.

post-96642-0-97240500-1549877176_thumb.jpg

had a look at the http://seeding.cycletour.co.za/findme.aspx?ss=2&eid=2019 to see that it is now fixed, as well as this year's 99er results added.  

Turns out SCT 2019 wasn't the last Premier seeding event  :ph34r:

any how, i can understand now why the seeding for some/many races are a bit off.

For me it is actually the other way around - ironically...

Can't remember the last time I was this fit, but for 5 road races in a row I either punctured, crashed or arrived late at the start (or any combination of the above)

This Sunday in Paarl was the first time in 6 months I didn't mess up, but too little too late I guess.

your result should be in there, since the 99er's is.

I feel better about my SCT 2019 DNF now.  I had great fitness, but I triple punctured.  in the 99er my seatbolt came loose  :thumbdown:   got some roadside help from a kind gentleman waiting for a friend to catch up... at least got the chance to finish this time.

your result should be in there, since the 99er's is.

I feel better about my SCT 2019 DNF now.  I had great fitness, but I triple punctured.  in the 99er my seatbolt came loose  :thumbdown:   got some roadside help from a kind gentleman waiting for a friend to catch up... at least got the chance to finish this time.

Yes, thanks - was worried that the Paarl race would be hit with a low beta but that wasn't the case. I should be seeded in 1A or 1B which is probably still a bit below my current form but should be fine for a Sub-3 which is ultimately my goal for the CTCT.

Really sucks when bad luck keeps on smacking you race after race, but I guess that is part of cycling!

so is/was 99er 2019 now seeding event  for 2019 CTCT ? 

(sorry, I did not risk doing 99er due to injury, so can't check myself)

Edited by Karman de Lange

so is/was 99er 2019 now seeding event  for 2019 CTCT ? 

(sorry, I did not risk doing 99er due to injury, so can't check myself)

It would seem that even the Cyclosportif this coming weekend is a seeding event:

"For cyclists, there’s still an opportunity to improve their Cape Town Cycle Tour seeding by entering the upcoming PPA Sportive on 17 February.

The second in the eight-event PPA Sportive Series Sportive is being held at the Windmeul Cellar and, with just one big climb, is the perfect event to set a time that will bump riders further up the Cycle Tour starting groups."

Doesn't seeding come out this week though?

It would seem that even the Cyclosportif this coming weekend is a seeding event:

"For cyclists, there’s still an opportunity to improve their Cape Town Cycle Tour seeding by entering the upcoming PPA Sportive on 17 February.

The second in the eight-event PPA Sportive Series Sportive is being held at the Windmeul Cellar and, with just one big climb, is the perfect event to set a time that will bump riders further up the Cycle Tour starting groups."

So seeding is coming out 13th as per other posts, but you can still seed 17th … someones socks are getting smoked and no its not mine.

Edit:  Wondering if its 2019 CTCT or 2020

ATTENTION ALL RIDERS! Please note that seedings will be communicated to all Cape Town Cycle Tour entrants by latest next week Wednesday, 13 February.

Edited by Karman de Lange

We did it a few years ago, if I remember right. The group varied widely because the only requirement is that you be a PPA member and wear one of their Safe Cycling shirts. Back then we found that there were very fast guys, but also very slow guys. It worked well for us because we rode as a group of four and didn't even try to find or form a peloton. The PPA Safe Cycling group start is somewhere around 7h50, so would slot in with a group average total time of about 3h45 to 4 hours (bit of a thumb suck)? I cannot say that it was a particularly safe group. I guess it was about normal for a mid-field group, not as crazy crash prone as the front racers, and much safer than the tail end wildebeest migration. 

So probably a later start than I get and still as crazy scary for me - Seems like my normal and rare road events - allow others slow enough to wheelsuck, refuse to ride on someones wheel, fade, wait for strong poorly seeded tandems to come along and tow me  - be polite, thank them, fade up suikerbossie, solo time trial to Bantry bay helping others who then drop me in Seapoint - finish 330/4 hrs and broken

Its racetec and numbers are only printed at the event, so if you go along looking glum I am sure they will just run the seeding on your name with latest results and print what pops out. No need to re seed etc as numbers are not printed yet.

I've got the glum look down. The latest results part could be the sticking point.

The only other approach is the unreasonable vallie, but I know you don't have the vernacular to pull it off...

I've entered after not road racing solo for a long long long time.  I'm expecting to take a hammering on my start time.  PPA seeding only has one result still listed for me and it was from the One Tonner two years ago which we rode as a team and it went badly :thumbdown:

Really hope there are people further back in the field who want to work with me to get to the beers at the end as quickly as possible. 

Last race I did was 2018 CTCT, Racetec got my seeding as 35 (and dropping fast) 

I will probably have my worst seeding in years. :blush: