[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2019

Warren Lew

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the etiquette when it comes to this? - I ride alone most rides and only rode my road bike in  3 closed road events last year - I absolutely sh*t myself in a bunch unless I'm in front.  When I get tired I drop right off.  When a good tandem team come passed me I find it far less disconcerting to sit behind them, way less twitchy.  I will never do a sub 3 because of my refusal to bunch ride but with the help of the odd tandem a 330 semi time trial is in my range for sure.  

I have no issue with singles sitting my wheel but it is illegal in vets racing, the comms should ask different categories to not sit wheels. I often have guys come to the front and help briefly but often the reason no one comes to the front is because they can't. I would rather someone just stays behind me instead of trying and just breaks my rhythm. If you in a race and you find yourself in a small group with a tandem and the tandem is doing all the work and you are unable to help, pull up next to them and say that you will try help when you able to. I appreciate it when the guys at least show appreciation. I used to get very worked up when I was bleeding and had guys just sitting wheel. My Dad would tell me to just chill out(a major reason why I love racing with him is the experience and maturity) and if they able to help they will. 

Th thread this year feels much more subdued than previous years this time around, or is that just me blocking a bad experiences. Either be a sign that people are maturing or that people are just not caring anymore

I think people just do not care anymore. A few years back the ctct entry system was like a cwc black friday sale. Everyone waiting anxiously for it to open and within an few moments sold out. I was not planning on riding and a friend said that we must try it on our gravel grinders. Saturday I went online and was surprised to see the entries was still open.

I think the cancelation of 2017 have a big role in this.

I have no issue with singles sitting my wheel but it is illegal in vets racing, the comms should ask different categories to not sit wheels. I often have guys come to the front and help briefly but often the reason no one comes to the front is because they can't. I would rather someone just stays behind me instead of trying and just breaks my rhythm. If you in a race and you find yourself in a small group with a tandem and the tandem is doing all the work and you are unable to help, pull up next to them and say that you will try help when you able to. I appreciate it when the guys at least show appreciation. I used to get very worked up when I was bleeding and had guys just sitting wheel. My Dad would tell me to just chill out(a major reason why I love racing with him is the experience and maturity) and if they able to help they will. 

You just remind me of how utterly stupid I was to sell my tandem, more so than any other bike I ever sold. I think it is exactly because of that bond and the shared memories that come with the tandem territory. :)

I used to get very worked up when I was bleeding and had guys just sitting wheel. My Dad would tell me to just chill out(a major reason why I love racing with him is the experience and maturity) and if they able to help they will. 

That honestly never bothers me, I just slow down to a pace that I can maintain without hurting myself. Eventually someone behind me will get frustrated enough to go in front and do some work.

Th thread this year feels much more subdued than previous years this time around, or is that just me blocking a bad experiences. Either be a sign that people are maturing or that people are just not caring anymore

Because people know they'll have no chance of improving their times from last year. What's the chance of such perfect weather 2 years in a row?

What is the etiquette when it comes to this? - I ride alone most rides and only rode my road bike in  3 closed road events last year - I absolutely sh*t myself in a bunch unless I'm in front.  When I get tired I drop right off.  When a good tandem team come passed me I find it far less disconcerting to sit behind them, way less twitchy.  I will never do a sub 3 because of my refusal to bunch ride but with the help of the odd tandem a 330 semi time trial is in my range for sure.  

+1

It got even worse when I went down in a bunch crash during the lost city race many years ago.

i used to go sit in the front, pull groups for many km and then just bomb.

Hahaha! Racing first and then attending a wedding is completely different!!

I was considering doing both and was 90% sure I will, but my wife stepped in and said I should stop being stupid. I can do both, but I won't enjoy both..

I don't drink much, but after two beers I'm a different person, and that guy can drink! The bar closes at 02:00am, I'm assuming I'll be in a startgroup around 07:00? So should aim to be there at 06:00am. The wedding is up the West Coast, minimum 2h30min drive from Cape Town. That means a quick 1 hour nap to sober up before hitting the road.

That does sound stupid typing it out now. My wife was right..again.

A few years back, my wife and I attended a wedding in George on Saturday evening. We made our apologies and left at about 21h00,  drove through the night, got about 3 hours sleep. Then we got up and rode the Cycle Tour.

We don't go very fast and so we don't have to start too early. It took us longer than usual, but we had a fun weekend all round.

A few years back, my wife and I attended a wedding in George on Saturday evening. We made our apologies and left at about 21h00, drove through the night, got about 3 hours sleep. Then we got up and rode the Cycle Tour.

We don't go very fast and so we don't have to start too early. It took us longer than usual, but we had a fun weekend all round.

Ja no, I'm not leaving my own sisters wedding at 21:00. Is food even served by then at weddings these days? There will always be more CTCTours, but she's only getting married once(hopefully). Unfortuneatly the wedding gets priority over the cycle tour this year.

Just for the lazy peeps: You are already past the 6 week mark from Argus Day! So, basically 4 weeks worth of training left! You haven't lost the Christmas kilos yet? Oh boy! :D

4kgs to go

I'm glad I'm reading this properly again now on a big screen with my spectacles on.

Read this earlier this morning, still half asleep, on the phone screen, no spectacles and was thinking, HTF can anyone do 8000km in 2 months?

8000km in 2 months???

EASY PEASY!

I have to sell my entry if someone is interested. Was super hyped entering for my first Argus, completely forgot my sister's getting married that weekend. Guess the Argus will have to wait another year..

VERY Inconsiderate Sister!

She should know better than that.

Nobody comes between me and my riding!