[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2019

Warren Lew

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A bit off topic, but you can see the "panic training" (me included  :blush: ) that's going on after the release of the seedings, with a lot of cyclists on the road. Going up Chappies from Noordhoek side, it looked like a race was in progress, with lot's of guys riding as if there was full road closure for them.

There was quite a big number of guys from a certain Cycling Club (blue kit) that was riding like real tjops. They were riding in little "clumps", sometimes up to 4 abreast. Going past the "boom" at the foot of Little Chappies, they were hogging the whole road. I saw them as we approached from behind, and they were riding like that even when passing Cafe Roux /The Foodbarn where there is a wide Yellow Line verge. Calling them out to ride single file had no effect, just the normal barrage of abuse thrown at you. It was like this the whole way up Chappies, little clumps of blue kitted riders, riding 3-4 abreast. Now I'm not the fastest climber out there, but I managed to catch and pass a lot of them, and behaving the same way.

And before I get abused about this, I'm in process of trying to contact their Club Chairman, to report their riding behavior to him.

And then not to talk about the skipping of red traffic lights, all the way from the first one in Camps-bay, right up to Granger Bay. The guys even squeeze past/through the stationary cyclist at the red lights, just to ghost through.  :cursing:  :thumbdown:

surprisingly, the Stellenbosch Cycle Tour, 99er and Durbie Dash have not declined over the last year (i'm only basing this on the stats of those who finished)

with the One Tonner i'm not sure as the race was "cancelled"  even though I had a time and got great seeding from it.

CTCT need to do more to promote or otherwise limit entries to less so that the charities get more support.

As Juan Pelota mentionend, big component of CTCT entries are people from other provinces, 99er, Durbie Dash mostly locals so economics not that much of a factor for these smaller funrides.

I also think the 2015 & 2017 cancellations will still be a factor for a few years for out-of-towners.

So what's your view on an obviously novice rider out there on a MTB with slicks and a car behind them making things tricky for other road users?

On Saturday I was stuck behind one such vehicle going through Stellenbosch and yesterday I went for a run around the block and encounter such a "convoy" coming from the front up Slaley hill. 

That said, at the start of my run I passed many friendly roadies on the R304 without a vehicle behind them. 

So what's your view on an obviously novice rider out there on a MTB with slicks and a car behind them making things tricky for other road users?

On Saturday I was stuck behind one such vehicle going through Stellenbosch and yesterday I went for a run around the block and encounter such a "convoy" coming from the front up Slaley hill. 

That said, at the start of my run I passed many friendly roadies on the R304 without a vehicle behind them. 

My view is that this should probably be discussed on a different thread, not the CTCT one.

A bit off topic, but you can see the "panic training" (me included  :blush: ) that's going on after the release of the seedings, with a lot of cyclists on the road. Going up Chappies from Noordhoek side, it looked like a race was in progress, with lot's of guys riding as if there was full road closure for them.

There was quite a big number of guys from a certain Cycling Club (blue kit) that was riding like real tjops. They were riding in little "clumps", sometimes up to 4 abreast. Going past the "boom" at the foot of Little Chappies, they were hogging the whole road. I saw them as we approached from behind, and they were riding like that even when passing Cafe Roux /The Foodbarn where there is a wide Yellow Line verge. Calling them out to ride single file had no effect, just the normal barrage of abuse thrown at you. It was like this the whole way up Chappies, little clumps of blue kitted riders, riding 3-4 abreast. Now I'm not the fastest climber out there, but I managed to catch and pass a lot of them, and behaving the same way.

And before I get abused about this, I'm in process of trying to contact their Club Chairman, to report their riding behavior to him.

And then not to talk about the skipping of red traffic lights, all the way from the first one in Camps-bay, right up to Granger Bay. The guys even squeeze past/through the stationary cyclist at the red lights, just to ghost through.  :cursing:  :thumbdown:

Good on you for calling them out. Their riding behaviour up Chappies was absolutely shocking. At the rate they were going I was afraid for them as one of them may have ended up putting a fork through a window... :ph34r:

I like this "off topicness" ...

My missus decided kids are getting bigger, needs to do something for herself etc... Starts running, gym cycling again (all things we did together before offspring arrived) 

I mention why not enter the big events Cape Town has to offer Two Oceans, Cape Town Marathon, Triathlons and The Cycle Tour so the various training has commenced. 

She gets home Saturday morning and she mentioned that a fat group of cyclists came past her and my buddy (they train together cause "they don't like riding with me") shouting obscenities. Stay in your lane, ride single file etc

She got pissed off cause she wasn't going to overtake him she moved over because of an obstruction in the road ( pot hole type thing) and don't shout "ride in single file if you're riding 4 a breast!!! 

Not sure if anyone else feels this way but regardless of what sport I do I love it when I see "newbies" or people just getting out there. I give them way, give them a thumbs up when they seem to be struggling you just a camaraderie thing but you always get that one guy/ group that spoils it.... 

Dadbod, I hear you.

But when you approach a group of riders from behind, and they ride next to each other for a prolonged time / distance, there is obviously no overtaking taking place, or no swerving out for road traffic/debris happening. This is when you will get called out, not whilst overtaking slower riders or avoiding obstacles. 

But this is just me, cannot vouch for the other similarly frustrated cyclist out there. 

Good on you for calling them out. Their riding behaviour up Chappies was absolutely shocking. At the rate they were going I was afraid for them as one of them may have ended up putting a fork through a window... :ph34r:

Is this another way of naming and shaming them....

I like this "off topicness" ...

My missus decided kids are getting bigger, needs to do something for herself etc... Starts running, gym cycling again (all things we did together before offspring arrived) 

I mention why not enter the big events Cape Town has to offer Two Oceans, Cape Town Marathon, Triathlons and The Cycle Tour so the various training has commenced. 

She gets home Saturday morning and she mentioned that a fat group of cyclists came past her and my buddy (they train together cause "they don't like riding with me") shouting obscenities. Stay in your lane, ride single file etc

She got pissed off cause she wasn't going to overtake him she moved over because of an obstruction in the road ( pot hole type thing) and don't shout "ride in single file if you're riding 4 a breast!!! 

Not sure if anyone else feels this way but regardless of what sport I do I love it when I see "newbies" or people just getting out there. I give them way, give them a thumbs up when they seem to be struggling you just a camaraderie thing but you always get that one guy/ group that spoils it.... 

had that last year on my normal training route. Wide open shoulder, 2 of us riding abreast but well within the shoulder. A group of stravista come past shouting to hold the line and keep left.

Well first things first how about letting people know your approaching instead of being obscene about it only once your just about next to the group.

As Juan Pelota mentionend, big component of CTCT entries are people from other provinces, 99er, Durbie Dash mostly locals so economics not that much of a factor for these smaller funrides.

I also think the 2015 & 2017 cancellations will still be a factor for a few years for out-of-towners.

was actually replying to the "The trend across most races is a decline. " bit...

i get that people are still miffed about the 2017 cancellation and the 2015 short race, but what is CTCT doing to up the entries?  smaller races have some random prizes.  afaik there are no random prizes for CTCT.  it could attract a couple more entries (possibly)

was actually replying to the "The trend across most races is a decline. " bit...

i get that people are still miffed about the 2017 cancellation and the 2015 short race, but what is CTCT doing to up the entries? smaller races have some random prizes. afaik there are no random prizes for CTCT. it could attract a couple more entries (possibly)

I hear you, but I don't think say 27K entries is exactly crisis territory for the CTCT. Organisers are probably happy to ride this out until things improve.

Been a couple of years since i did the CTCT, but can someone please explain what this number board is that we are supposed to fit to our handlebars. (According to the CTCT web site on chute entry details) Not interested in having a MTB sized wind breaker mounted on my handlebars. 

Or have they mixed the MTB instructions on the roadie page?

Edited by LongDonkey

Been a couple of years since i did the CTCT, but can someone please explain what this number board is that we are supposed to fit to our handlebars. (According to the CTCT web site on chute entry details) Not interested in having a MTB sized wind breaker mounted on my handlebars. 

Or have they mixed the MTB instructions on the roadie page?

It's as big as a stapler.

And shouldn't be much thicker than what your handlebars are anyways

Edited by Jase619