[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2019

Warren Lew

I can personally vouch for the advice given above, i.e. mileage and intensity of training.

When I first started cycling just over 4 years ago, I would frequently cramp in races after about 60km or so. I tried everything to combat cramping, like Crampstop, Rennies, Slowmag, etc, but nothing seemed to work for me.

The trouble was that I was simply not putting in the miles. My longest training ride was never more than two thirds of the race distance, and that was only once a week. The rest of the week would be about 3 short rides of about 20km each.

The turning point for me was when I joined a cycling club just under 2 years ago. The discipline of club rides on the weekends got my mileage up and soon I was riding two long rides each weekend with distances often equal to race distances, and sometimes even longer. I was also challenged to increase my pace as I advanced from the slower club batches to the faster batches.

Almost overnight the cramps stopped as my body became used to the distances and pace. The old adage holds true - “No pain no gain”.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hear you about the time in the saddle, doing a fair bit weekly but not the actual distance in single rides, just to stay limber, no podiums in mind, just finishing....loading with Magnesium right now and have Rehidrate and Rennies in my plan...just wondering if there others out there that have similar issues...thanks!

I am lucky that I don't have much of a cramp problem.

Only on very hot days and when I was a bit lazy with the training and unprepared for a long and fast ride will I have a problem. Then I can usually feel it coming and if I back off the intensity it usually goes away.

Interestingly enough, I sometimes have a cramp issue during the next 24 hours or so following the hard ride. Not when exercising, but when stretching. Especially the next morning when I wake up. I don't know why that is. 

I am lucky that I don't have much of a cramp problem.

Only on very hot days and when I was a bit lazy with the training and unprepared for a long and fast ride will I have a problem. Then I can usually feel it coming and if I back off the intensity it usually goes away.

Interestingly enough, I sometimes have a cramp issue during the next 24 hours or so following the hard ride. Not when exercising, but when stretching. Especially the next morning when I wake up. I don't know why that is.

Not replenishing adequately after a ride I think.

Also a cramper - the following helps a lot for me

Lots of stretching when off the bike

A good warm up ride the day before major event - 30 mins of fast spinning

Regular massage

Every bottle must have a High 5 Zero Cal no caffeine Electrolyte tab in it

For events longer than 4 hours this supplemented by one Hammer endurolyte capsule per hour

Cross fingers - gently .... cos that can set off a cramp too.

No matter what I do I often run into this problem. Obviously if it’s hot make sure you’re drinking enough electrolytes. Something like Hammer’s endurolytes. I find things like Rehydrate which is excellent have too much sugar for me and sugar is one of my cramp triggers!
So... the best is to keep Crampease spray handy and use as necessary. Start with a squirt under your tongue when the twitches start. Works like a bomb.

"REHIDRAT Sport" was the answer to my cramping problems.

1 sachet night before, 1 before the race, and then 2 in each bottle.

But I fully agree with the advice given regarding training with appropriate mileage and intensity. You become less dependant on supplementation if you condition your body correctly.

Regular massage

For events longer than 4 hours this supplemented by one Hammer endurolyte capsule per hour

I think stretching ON THE BIKE is as important, especially on those very long rides - calves and hamstrings in particular as they function in a bit of an unnatural shortened way when riding.

Definitely that light spin the day before is a great thing altogether. :thumbup:

Edited by DJR

Regular massage

Hammer works for me but High 5 Zero is really good too.  And SlowMag fizzles in the back pocket can be a life-saver.

Yes, people can say what they like about training time/distance intensity etc.  Obviously it is going to undo you if you don't train properly, or hydrate properly, but for me cramps are not always directly related to these things. I can be doing 100km+ regularly with a fast group (well, for me!) and do fine, but then go do a short, easy ride in good weather and start cramping from the beginning.

So from experience and lots of thinking about it I worked out for me sugar is a definite kicker.

Coke especially but other sweet stuff as well.

I don't generally eat/drink stuff with sugar in it but when I do, even without exercising, I will be prone to (or actually get) cramp, just doing nothing!

Don't underestimate diet!

How was the breeze on the coast this AM [emoji2957]

Hectic...road up and down suiker chappies both sides....merciless wind[emoji28]

Rode the front of Table Mountain this morning and around Devils Peak it blew like hell. The wind picked the lines today - left, right, stop, go, into the ditch, half through the bushes, fun!  

I think booking something through AirBnB is the way to go. 

Exactly what i did. Used to stay in hotels and it was reasonable.... now not so much. Went shopping and found an Air BnB in the centre of town at half the cost.

I also think CTCT management are quite arrogant, never thought they could do anything wrong and have been caught out by reduced entries by surprise (I have no facts to base this on)

The trend across most races is a decline. The demographic of the CTCT is also ageing, and not enough young riders are coming through either. There a plenty of systemic issues that probably have a bigger impact on total race entries as opposed to perceived CTCTT arrogance: Flight costs; previous Argus cancellations; accom costs; possible riots; weather uncertainty; CoCT escalation of costs; the state of the economy.... not much a planning committee can do against these macro-issues. 

The trend across most races is a decline. The demographic of the CTCT is also ageing, and not enough young riders are coming through either. There a plenty of systemic issues that probably have a bigger impact on total race entries as opposed to perceived CTCTT arrogance: Flight costs; previous Argus cancellations; accom costs; possible riots; weather uncertainty; CoCT escalation of costs; the state of the economy.... not much a planning committee can do against these macro-issues. 

surprisingly, the Stellenbosch Cycle Tour, 99er and Durbie Dash have not declined over the last year (i'm only basing this on the stats of those who finished)

with the One Tonner i'm not sure as the race was "cancelled"  even though I had a time and got great seeding from it.

CTCT need to do more to promote or otherwise limit entries to less so that the charities get more support.