Has the MTB Stage Racing bubble finally burst?

Slowbee

This thread got me looking at some European stage races for next year as an alternative to travelling to South Africa. Just out of interest and perhaps for some comparison, I found a great three day event in Spain, the Catalunya bike race, for €195 per person, excluding accommodation. Accommodation options seem to range from hotels to campsites, which they link to and you book yourself.

I quite like the option of not being forced to accept event hospitality, which allows you to manage costs and preferences, but I suppose could detract a bit from the experience.

Any thoughts?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 9 months later...

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/181761-event-stellenbosch-mtb-challenge/page-3?do=findComment&comment=3533958

So a year or so after I started this thread, the discussion on the Stellies MTB challenge moved in the direction of costs of events.

It would seem that, at least in the western cape, the bubble has popped.

When a city, based on tourism and students, no longer wants events because of disruptions and increasing costs, the end has arrived.

All the road events are coming to a close. Is this a case now of there being many options to ride routes outside of an event.

Maybe more complex in that road riding is decreasing as more people engage "artificial rides" at night and go onto trails on the weekend. And trails are cheaper than events?

I think the bubble has popped in just about all events  :w00t:. I mean, you pay for a 70km ride close to R400 and they only offer the goodie bag at the finish. You then end up riding at a bike park which has a daily entry fee of around R50 or so. 

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/181761-event-stellenbosch-mtb-challenge/page-3?do=findComment&comment=3533958

So a year or so after I started this thread, the discussion on the Stellies MTB challenge moved in the direction of costs of events.

When a city, based on tourism and students, no longer wants events because of disruptions and increasing costs, the end has arrived.

All the road events are coming to a close. Is this a case now of there being many options to ride routes outside of an event.

Maybe more complex in that road riding is decreasing as more people engage "artificial rides" at night and go onto trails on the weekend. And trails are cheaper than events?

Interestingly, S2c has firmly stated they are limiting entries. I think this is great!

Means the value proposition will get better. Especially with better facilities and not everyone competing to get to those facilities!

Epic Entry fee 44k for 8 days.

vs

Alps trip with my mates under 30k all in for 8 days.

Or

9 days of road cycling on Mallorca for 35k per person all in including bike and car rental.

Disclaimer. I don't think I'd be able to finish any epic day. And I have lots of respect for those that tackle any big stage race.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Not sure the fortunes of the Stellies MTB race & S'bosch municipality antagonism towards events are enough to make this statement. We haven't seen loads of events disappearing  - calendar is still as full as always. There are always new events coming in and some others dropping off.

I think with the economy struggling and the growth of gravel bikes we have seen a shift to longer dirtroad events in stead of multi-day events. Also we see more "value-for-money" type of stage races like Eselfontein coming on the calender.

Me thinks the whole "bubble has burst" statement is a bit over the top.

Epic Entry fee 44k for 8 days.

vs

Alps trip with my mates under 30k all in for 8 days.

Disclaimer. I don't think I'd be able to finish any epic day.

Trip to Barcelona for 10 days incl 4day MTB race (VolcatMTB) +-R25k all in

already planning 2020/2021 trip ...

What is considered a fare entry fee for a stage race? I ask because The Origin of Trails looks quite lekker, and that is R1700 for 2 days. Looks a nice ride, 2 days @ 50-60kms each.

The Epic is just ludicrous, for a "normal" person earning a "normal" salary, paying R44k for 8 days of cycling is just f***** stupid.

Edit: and to be honest, I can go ride those trails for free whenever I choose, I just dont have a mobile 5star hotel waiting at the end.

Edited by gemmerbal

Trip to Barcelona for 10 days incl 4day MTB race (VolcatMTB) +-R25k all in

already planning 2020/2021 trip ...

plane flights + drinking money ?

I have done the OoT about 4 or 5 times...

the whole experience does it for me, starting with the proper trails on both days. The stillwater guys really does know how to run an event. Always lekker vibe and some proper prize give aways.

Last year i walk away with about R3.5k worth of prizes  :clap:

What is considered a fare entry fee for a stage race? I ask because The Origin of Trails looks quite lekker, and that is R1700 for 2 days. Looks a nice ride, 2 days @ 50-60kms each.

The Epic is just ludicrous, for a "normal" person earning a "normal" salary, paying R44k for 8 days of cycling is just f***** stupid.

Edit: and to be honest, I can go ride those trails for free whenever I choose, I just dont have a mobile 5star hotel waiting at the end.

A fare is a cost.....  :ph34r:

R850 a day to ride around Jonkers and other mostly public stellies trails is a bit much if you're a local.

If you're and out of towner who needs an excuse to come, then by all means it is better than some other events.

I have gone off racing hugely and I am far happier for it. I dig riding trails with my friends, making missions to cool places and organising my life to my own needs.

I still enter some iconic running races and did Argust this year, but nah... For me the Eselfontein stage race is great value and the Picket-bo-berg races are worth doing as they are an entirely charitable, non profit event AND the trails are rad and open just for the 2 events.

We are all programmed to accept that racing is 'normal' and pay astronomical amounts of money to 'race'. It's a silly mentality. Imagine everyone put their annual race entry fees into local trail development, safety and maintenance?

We would all be riding radical trails with our mates actually enjoying bike riding. Pseudo pro's wouldn't dope in vet cat and people like Shan Wilson wouldn't be ruining the lives of aspiring youngsters......

Just saying

Edited by Jewbacca

plane flights + drinking money ?

flights, airbnb accom, race entry and transport to and fro.

no drinking money required on my side.

Money Spent on entry fee alone can go towards the bikes, or even a yearly membership at a trail.

So price comparison, its not for me. Will rather use the money elsewhere. Also some events are not as organised as advertised.