Snakes in WC Spring Time

Grease_Monkey

3 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

This is the reason I stick to road riding in summer and only renew my Tygerberg membership after the Argus... You won't catch me on the trails unless I'm part of a big group (gotta get the odds in my favour!)

I'm not sure that's much safer after doing the 109km route of the One Tonner.
Five in total crossing the roads.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, -Az- said:

True - occasionally I have seen some massive snakes crossing the road or next to the road on a warm day. But on Tygerberg sometimes I encounter 3 or 4 in just 30min, no tx..

24 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I found myself itching like mad after standing in the flora watching folks hit that new gap jump at Bloemendal with @MORNE  

OT: How are people doing on that jump? I've been eyeing it out but I've been riding with friends who are newer to the sport so I haven't got a chance to get a tow-in. It looks and 'feels' like I will just glide over it.

41 minutes ago, Brawler said:

OT: How are people doing on that jump? I've been eyeing it out but I've been riding with friends who are newer to the sport so I haven't got a chance to get a tow-in. It looks and 'feels' like I will just glide over it.

I have yet to do it. I came close last week, but I opted out at the last second.

I am feeling comfortable to hit it, I just haven't yet for some reason.

But that aside. the success of that gap is determined in how aggressive you enter the preceding berm. You need speed. People not on e-bikes give a few cranks as they exit the berm after which they all sail over the gap with ease.

I stepped it out and it's 6 x paces for me, which is the same as the two tables at the top after the pallet drop-off. I clear the entire line all the way to the gap, so I'm happy to give it a go next time I'm that side again. It would have to be soon though, that line is turning to powder fast.

1 hour ago, Robbie Stewart said:

snip.

It would have to be soon though, that line is turning to powder fast.

The condition of that already should give them an idea of the  kind of maintenance manicured flow trails need. At its current rate of wear it wont make it to Jan/feb i think. It's too soft - soft enough for snakes and other animals to burrow into haha. There were already mole mounds in some of the corners, so snakes will follow.

....and we'll get told off for damaging it and needing PK's for it too I guess. 😇

Edited by MORNE

57 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

I dunno why I opened this thread. Literally about snakes in my backyard trails. What am i supposed to do now?

You and me both .....:P

Almost 10 000km later, and only once saw a very small snake ..... :thumbup:  Certainly not a very common thing.

statistically this mean I am way overdue .... :eek:

9 hours ago, -Az- said:

So you had snake crossings instead of the usual zebra crossings😉

A year or three back I was out riding Conters one fine spring day and as I was pedalling up the Vineyard Climb making a sharp switchback turn, I was focussing on keeping the wheel in the trail as it was very overgrown by Mustard Weed (that yellow jobby that looks like Canola, but isn't) - anyway, as I turn the bars straight again I look down at my left foot for whatever reason, and that is when I see my foot on the down stroke freely swinging right over a cobra that is lying literally under my foot as it was moving into the undergrowth.

That was the day I set my Strava PR on that climb. 10 minutes later I was in my bakkie on my way home.

I've also come across Mr. Cobra at Hoogekraal on Spyker's Hill and I've seen many molesnakes at Bloemendal.

14 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

A year or three back I was out riding Conters one fine spring day and as I was pedalling up the Vineyard Climb making a sharp switchback turn, I was focussing on keeping the wheel in the trail as it was very overgrown by Mustard Weed (that yellow jobby that looks like Canola, but isn't) - anyway, as I turn the bars straight again I look down at my left foot for whatever reason, and that is when I see my foot on the down stroke freely swinging right over a cobra that is lying literally under my foot as it was moving into the undergrowth.

That was the day I set my Strava PR on that climb. 10 minutes later I was in my bakkie on my way home.

I've also come across Mr. Cobra at Hoogekraal on Spyker's Hill and I've seen many molesnakes at Bloemendal.

Can we please just close this thread already?