Snakes in WC Spring Time

Grease_Monkey

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bike 1 snake 0.

I don't need a emergency number because if a snake bites me even non venomous I will die of a nervous breakdown or heart attack immediately. I am so scared of snakes I don't even look down when taking a wee????????

post-80000-0-88211500-1539010835_thumb.jpg

post-80000-0-14369100-1539010873_thumb.jpg

My new plan is that if I am riding with a mate, I will always let him go first down the single track, because"you are faster and I want to follow your line". Then stay about 20 meters back, and take it easy while he faces the snakes.

This is what I do when there are many spider webs across the trail.

Bike 1 snake 0.

I don't need a emergency number because if a snake bites me even non venomous I will die of a nervous breakdown or heart attack immediately. I am so scared of snakes I don't even look down when taking a wee????????

Jeepers, did he get caught in your rotor or something?

Whereever you are riding make sure you have the emergency number for that particular area, by that I mean for SANPARKS. If you are in inaccessible area there is a Wilderness Search and Rescue team that can get to you. Please don't call a private ambulance service as they will most likely 1st try and get you and then realise they can't. If all else call 112 or 107 or 10177.

The number for metro (wsar) is 021 9370300. Always best to call metro first if in a remote wilderness area.

Bike 1 snake 0.

I don't need a emergency number because if a snake bites me even non venomous I will die of a nervous breakdown or heart attack immediately. I am so scared of snakes I don't even look down when taking a wee

Minced snek for din dins

The only guy that really scares me on a bike is the dear old black mamba. I've seen them big and thick up Thabazimbi way and had one strike the glass passenger window on a Land Rover as we drove past. That's good night nurse stuff alright.

Jip, they warn you not to carry a puff adder in a cardboard box. They are able to sense where your hands are from your body heat, and with the size and power of their fangs, can bite you through the cardboard box

Thankfully carrying a puffy anywhere wasn't particularly high on my list of priorities.

Pretty flippen impressive though.

Snake stories are like fishing and war stories; Far fetched and mostly just plain nonsense.

Just remember that a puffy might strike fast, but only when it actually strikes. A puffy don`t usually strike immediately, so the 1st rider will piss off the puffy and be gone and then the puffy will be ready to take revenge on the following rider.

A Puff adder is like any wild animal, unpredictable.There are no rules as to when it will strike, but like most animals will try to flee or rely on its camouflage for protection/safety before attacking.

Jip, they warn you not to carry a puff adder in a cardboard box. They are able to sense where your hands are from your body heat, and with the size and power of their fangs, can bite you through the cardboard box

Puffies do not have heat/infrared sensors like rattle snakes. Like other snakes, their forked tongue allow them to smell/taste in "stereo" to pinpoint its prey. 

That their fangs are long is true, and could easily grow to 2 cm and puncture material. 

Bike 1 snake 0.

I don't need a emergency number because if a snake bites me even non venomous I will die of a nervous breakdown or heart attack immediately. I am so scared of snakes I don't even look down when taking a wee

Show that to the UCI and all roadies will have to hand back their disc equipped roadie bikes :P

Snake stories are like fishing and war stories; Far fetched and mostly just plain nonsense.

A Puff adder is like any wild animal, unpredictable.There are no rules as to when it will strike, but like most animals will try to flee or rely on its camouflage for protection/safety before attacking.

Puffies do not have heat/infrared sensors like rattle snakes. Like other snakes, their forked tongue allow them to smell/taste in "stereo" to pinpoint its prey. 

That their fangs are long is true, and could easily grow to 2 cm and puncture material. 

Doh, you're right, it's not the heat but I think a combination of smell as you rightly point out, and sensing vibrations

A friend of a friend posted this:

Two of them riding together. Snake falls down slope between them. Almost lands on front guy (photographer). I don't think the guy in the picture is faking or posing. My undies feel dirty just talking about this...

post-615-0-59399500-1539680609_thumb.jpg