Which vehicle fits 29er MTB inside?

duanelr

Those with the VW Caddy - how do you "Secure" the bike inside the Caddy ?  How would you secure two MTB's ?

Anybody using a Hyundai H1 ?  How do you secure your bikes in the H1 ?

Caddy seems so much more practical .... better fuel consumption ....

But MAN, that H1 is such a nice wagon !!  can get a H1 with 14000km on for the same price as a new Caddy (both in automatic)

but I do a fair amount of kilos ... and the H1 may become thirsty ....

Hi I have a caddy maxi and looked at the H1.

H1 is fine if it is the van, but if not it is a mission to take out the seats.

With the caddy:

1 Large 29'r roll in diagonally done and dusted

2,Large 29'rs take out one seat (2 minutes) roll one in and take one front wheel off. use tiedown straps through the loops in the floor to secure the bikes

3,4 Large 29'rs take off front wheel, put bikes in and use tiedown straps through the loops in the floor to secure the bikes.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you TDFN.

Let's see what VW Barons say .... I want cruise control, electric windows and park distance sensors, would be nice to have height adjustable driver seat (but this is not a deal breaker) .... they are looking for stock .... I will also add a towbar, but that is a standard afterfit item.

Test drove the 2 liter DSG yesterday .... WOW !!  absolutely NO indication you are driving an oil burner ....

The 9 seater H1 is "nicer" .... but man, that fuel consumption is not nice !!!

I have also been advised to look at the Ford equivalent ....

Thank you TDFN.

Let's see what VW Barons say .... I want cruise control, electric windows and park distance sensors, would be nice to have height adjustable driver seat (but this is not a deal breaker) .... they are looking for stock .... I will also add a towbar, but that is a standard afterfit item.

Test drove the 2 liter DSG yesterday .... WOW !! absolutely NO indication you are driving an oil burner ....

The 9 seater H1 is "nicer" .... but man, that fuel consumption is not nice !!!

I have also been advised to look at the Ford equivalent ....

Apart from my Caddy we also have a Ford Fiesta 1.6TDCi and the Caddy outperforms the Fiesta on fuel consumption. That’s why I didn’t get the Ford Tourneo. The Ford does have some pluses in the seat config and folding department. The seats fold into the floor to create a flatbed.

Land Rover Discovery 4.

I put my large 29er long wheel base bike in, with only 2 of the 3 back seats down.  I still pull the back cover over the boot to stop peering eyes when parked.  I dont remove wheels or anything, too irritating.

I've had 3 trail / enduro bikes inside (front wheels off), with 3 seats and luggage for 3 people for a weekend and we road-tripped perfectly in comfort with everything inside for when we stopped at lunch spots etc.     I do have the cream interior, which although not ideal, works well with the relevant carpets, blankets.  I'd rather have a tyre mark or two inside than a generic shitty black leather option.

The Disco 5 is out and I'm seriously considering it (prob with Discovery is once you've had one, you struggle to find the "next" option).    Definitely chose the vehicle with my lifestyle in mind, and it's great being able to go anywhere quite literally at the press of a button.

we once got 2 26in downhill bikes in the back of a fiat panda

all cars are bike friendly, just get the one that works best for you

actually no dont do that, work out your budget, then spend that all on a fleet of citigolfs (they swallow bikes easily) and a field and go racing with your buddies

ChrisF, you tie the bikes down with a bungee or a camstrap to the tie down points.

Or you can make a bike stand out of pvc pipes and put that in the back, and simply jam the bike wheels in and put a stretchy over the top tubes. This will work in the H1

4808a8989d0a54548812bb432a992b62.png

Have fitted a downhill bike and a 29 inch mountain bike in my Toyota Tazz before. Drop seat posts and remove front tyre and your good to go ????????

That said, when I was a student in the late 90's - I had a 2 door Uno.   Easily could chuck 3 bikes and 2 people in the car, still with subwoofers in the boot and drive across the country to nationals with all our gear and luggage.

It's just a lot easier now in my old age.

Land Rover Discovery 4.

I put my large 29er long wheel base bike in, with only 2 of the 3 back seats down.  I still pull the back cover over the boot to stop peering eyes when parked.  I dont remove wheels or anything, too irritating.

I've had 3 trail / enduro bikes inside (front wheels off), with 3 seats and luggage for 3 people for a weekend and we road-tripped perfectly in comfort with everything inside for when we stopped at lunch spots etc.     I do have the cream interior, which although not ideal, works well with the relevant carpets, blankets.  I'd rather have a tyre mark or two inside than a generic shitty black leather option.

The Disco 5 is out and I'm seriously considering it (prob with Discovery is once you've had one, you struggle to find the "next" option).    Definitely chose the vehicle with my lifestyle in mind, and it's great being able to go anywhere quite literally at the press of a button.

Forgot to add, on my diesel, I average 8,5l / 100km

Ya, but what does the flatbed recovery truck get per 100km?

hehe... you brought it on yourself with your first sentence  :whistling:

Ya, but what does the flatbed recovery truck get per 100km?

hehe... you brought it on yourself with your first sentence  :whistling:

Haha, but many later and still no issues bar my passenger door lock packing up.  And to be honest, I drive it like a hot hatch and raise the suspension at least 3 times a month.   It took a while for a friend to convince me, but I can see his argument, it's a tough package to beat.  He's on his 5th Discovery now.

I think the Discovery 3 was not too great from what I can gather.    Worried about all the tech in the 5, hence giving it some time to see if there are issues, before I commit.

Strange how it took Tata to fix Jaguar and Land Rover issues, and someone like BMW broke them.  Bizarre.

I have yet to own or hire a car that could not take a 29er. I used to get my anthem into the back seat of my A4 in SA on long trips.

Over here, we did a trip last year with three MTB’s in my mates RAV4 as well as three of us.

Always a way

Isuzu KB250 double cab

5x 29er in the back with the Canopy but you got to remove front wheels.

^^  This

and if your Isuzu is a 4x4, you can go ride some serious virgin off-piste trails, if you know where... :ph34r:

Edited by Robbie Stewart

Hi I have a caddy maxi and looked at the H1.

H1 is fine if it is the van, but if not it is a mission to take out the seats.

With the caddy:

1 Large 29'r roll in diagonally done and dusted

2,Large 29'rs take out one seat (2 minutes) roll one in and take one front wheel off. use tiedown straps through the loops in the floor to secure the bikes

3,4 Large 29'rs take off front wheel, put bikes in and use tiedown straps through the loops in the floor to secure the bikes.

Last row of seat in the H1 9 seater is held down by 4 bolts. Pretty easy to take out.