Will you buy local?

Bakkies

I'm doing a bit of market research. Will you buy local manufactured parts. From the past we have had several bike manufacturers and parts manufacturers who has made excellent world class products. What does it take for the sa market to take a product serious?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed with above, quality and price. Just because it's locally made doesn't mean the item must be sold at twice the cost of a similar imported product. Just go to any local flea market and see the prices being charged!

Agreed with above, quality and price. Just because it's locally made doesn't mean the item must be sold at twice the cost of a similar imported product. Just go to any local flea market and see the prices being charged!

Huh?? Which flea market sells bike parts??

Locally manufactured products will, in 90% of cases, never be competitive with imports. For general purpose to enthusiast items at least. Specialty or high end items are bought by people that don't emphasize price, they'll pay what they need to to get what they want.

That is until our govermnet sharpens up its support of all local manufacturers, gets the DTI to do something for a change, and gets rid of trade unions.

This is from the perspective of a cheapskate and someone who has worked in a local manufacturing facility.

For me buying bike parts is a quite expensive event, and getting it quickly is rarely a priority. So with other things I can afford to pay the premium usually top get it quickly. So as was said before, price and quality, because the usual advantages of buying local do not really apply to bike parts for me. 

Some great SA products out there but not sure how many are manufactured in SA.

Momsen

Farr

Pyga

Squirt

Not sure about squirt, but the rest, proudly made in the East.

Local

Kalbo comes to mind.

There's definitely an opportunity in SA to manufacture good quality MTB rear derailleur hangers. LBS dont keep stock and its a ball ache finding one. Bringing them in from the UK/US is crazy expensive.

The money is not in cheap bike components, it’s in the high end stuff (South Industries, etc) No local manufacturer can compete with the East. Full stop.

To answer your question: I’ll buy what is good value, where-ever it’s made.

Edited by johannrissik

If Morewood managed to make a name worldwide and still sell competitively here, why not others? As long as the quality is on par and the price reasonable.

Csixx is locally made bit they are moer expensive

Csixx quality is poor.  I snapped two Csixx chainring bolts on my old MTB SS.

Momsen vipa = yes, yes and yes ... and there are probably other very good south african bike frames ...

other bits will only consider .. shimano + fox + rockshox = yes

O yes and probably anything from Italy ...

essentially anything that has been proven to work in race conditions ...