The Veganism Thread

Odinson

Not super accurate, but also not that far off, depending on the size of the patty. 

hjX3dIYIgVX9SaeBw_22F_XaVix1kuHHbA-_tQUG

i am not sure about the 2500 litres per patty. a patty weighs lets say 200g. a cow weighs 800 kg. there fore the patty is .025% of the cows weight. therefore this implies the cow must drink 2500 / .025% = 10 million litres. in its life. doesnt add up

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i am not sure about the 2500 litres per patty. a patty weighs lets say 200g. a cow weighs 800 kg. there fore the patty is .025% of the cows weight. therefore this implies the cow must drink 2500 / .025% = 10 million litres. in its life. doesnt add up

Same

BS like that just throws any open mindedness I have about this diet straight out the window

Same

BS like that just throws any open mindedness I have about this diet straight out the window

A hell of a lot of water is used when food is processed. Edited by Gen

A hell of a lot of water is used when food is processed.

No doubt but I made the same rough sum in my head as forkie, 10 million liters per Ave cow?

I think not

No doubt but I made the same rough sum in my head as forkie, 10 million liters per Ave cow?

I think not

This is how they get to the figure...Roughly. Also remember that not all of the cow is meat. 

In summary, a steer weighing 1,000 pounds on the hoof will average around 430 pounds of retail cuts (steaks, roasts, ground beef, stew beef, etc.). https://www.oda.state.ok.us/food/fs-cowweight.pdf

pound of beef requires 1,799 gallons of water, which includes irrigation of the grains and grasses in feed, plus water for drinking and processing. https://www.latimes.com/food/dailydish/la-dd-gallons-of-water-to-make-a-burger-20140124-story.html

The enormous consumption of water in meat production is primarily due to the watering of the plants which livestock animals feed on. Formerly cattle and sheep etc. basically ate grass, which cannot be made use of by man. Nowadays, however, they are mostly fattened with corn or soy beans produced on huge plantations. But also the water which these animals need to drink and the amounts of water that are needed for cleaning the fattening units must be included in the calculation. https://www.simply-live-consciously.com/english/food-environment/1-burger-3000-l-of-water/

Edited by Captain Fastbastard Mayhem

I think not

Oh snap.. THE CAPTAIN GOT THERE FIRST

Edited by Gen

The issue of water usage is not the real issue here, it’s more a problem of population growth and the demands for water. The amount of freshwater available remains fairly constant as water is recycled and always has been. Water is never really destroyed nor created so the way we use it is important but only in the context of the every burgeoning population growth.

Stopping eating meat to save water is not a logical argument. We don’t waste water growing meat. We also do not destroy it, we do however take it out of circulation for a period of time. As an example, the glass of sparkling water I drank this morning could potentially have been he rain that fell on dinosaurs or passed through a dinosaur millions of years ago, it’s the same water.

There are of course other ramifications of using water which may affect the environment.

I think the water that is used to produce the cows food also counts.

Nothing but vegan propaganda.

I see Quorn has now pulled out of SA, wasn't worth their while.  This of course as my vegetarian quorn raised nibblngs come to visit  :cursing:  Quite enjoyed their products myself too.

Nothing but vegan propaganda.

Charitably these figures may come closer elsewhere if all the animal feed is grown under irrigation, can't think where that would ever be the case though. Si I suspect a lot of manipulation of numbers to guide the narrative.

In SA a beef animal would get a couple of months finishing in a feedlot, a very small proportion of that feed MAY come from irrigated maize, but obviously the bulk of it in SA is not irrigated.

Similarly with our lamb.

Chicken and pork would have higher irrigation inputs.

I see Quorn has now pulled out of SA, wasn't worth their while.  This of course as my vegetarian quorn raised nibblngs come to visit  :cursing:  Quite enjoyed their products myself too.

Is that why!? I've been searching low and high for their stuff to no avail. 

Dammit.

Can vegetableterians eat insects? How about whey protein? Yeah Im thinking maybe to become a vegetableterian. Will vegetableterianismism cure climate change?

That is sad, they had some pretty cool stuff.

Can vegetableterians eat insects? How about whey protein? Yeah Im thinking maybe to become a vegetableterian. Will vegetableterianismism cure climate change?

Cant really tell if you are being serious or not. You get various forms with their own special names for diets.

You can eat anything you want really, cutting down on meat consumption from farmed animals does help the environment though.

So even if you keep doing mostly the same thing but eat less meat its a good thing.